Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Several domestic PMU questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2009, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Several domestic PMU questions

1. To use a PMU for a traveling companion, am I required to use one for myself as well? Do I need to be booked in the same fare class? Or is it sufficient for us simply to be on the same flight-- in which case I just use the PMU for my companion and take my own chances by buying a cheaper fare class and hoping for the normal upgrade process as a PM?

2. I recall reading a post a long time ago about a method for reserving the upgrade seat with the PMU, but then if your upgrade clears in the 5/3/1-day window period, taking your upgrade without cashing in the PMU. Can anyone help me out with this? How close to departure is this possible? All the way to the gate upgrades?

3. At this point in the merger, can I use a PMU on all DL & NW metal (domestic)?
Old Aug 5, 2009, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by Jazzop
1. To use a PMU for a traveling companion, am I required to use one for myself as well? Do I need to be booked in the same fare class? Or is it sufficient for us simply to be on the same flight-- in which case I just use the PMU for my companion and take my own chances by buying a cheaper fare class and hoping for the normal upgrade process as a PM?

2. I recall reading a post a long time ago about a method for reserving the upgrade seat with the PMU, but then if your upgrade clears in the 5/3/1-day window period, taking your upgrade without cashing in the PMU. Can anyone help me out with this? How close to departure is this possible? All the way to the gate upgrades?

3. At this point in the merger, can I use a PMU on all DL & NW metal (domestic)?
In my experience:

Am I required to use one for myself as well? Answer: No

Do I need to be booked in the same fare class? Answer: No

Is it sufficient for us simply to be on the same flight? Answer: Yes

in which case I just use the PMU for my companion and take my own chances by buying a cheaper fare class and hoping for the normal upgrade process as a PM? I did just that on a JFK-LAX flight a couple of years ago.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 3:53 pm

1. sufficient for us simply to be on the same flight- Book the companion in a K+ fare and book yourself in whatever fare you'd like.

2. As a PM, call SMS at the 5 day window (or check DL.com on any non-Y fare, if it shows "available" there are V/X seats) and request to change your upgrade instrument from PMU to Complimentary (G/Z to V/X if you'd like to tell them that). You can do this all the way until checkin @ the airport. At that point you should have to surrender the PMU.

3. Yes.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
The T&C's for the NW PMUs states:

"Transferability - The certificate may be used by a different person as long as the original recipient is traveling with that person in the same reservation. Each person in the reservation require a certificate for one-way upgrade."

That seems to state pretty clearly that it's NOT OK to just be on the same flight. What is the corresponding language on the DL PMUs?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Stripe
The T&C's for the NW PMUs states:

"Transferability - The certificate may be used by a different person as long as the original recipient is traveling with that person in the same reservation. Each person in the reservation require a certificate for one-way upgrade."

That seems to state pretty clearly that it's NOT OK to just be on the same flight. What is the corresponding language on the DL PMUs?
I don't have them in front of me, but IIRC, the DL PMUs don't require that both people use a certificate, but they do require that both people will fly in the same cabin (class of service).

Under that rule, the Medallion either needs to buy an F seat (the question is about domestic in this case), use miles/PMU to UG, or get a Medallion UG. If the Medallion buys a K fare hoping for a UG, but it doesn't come through, the companion would technically not be able to use the PMU (although I don't know if this enforced).
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Thanks for the replies, but it doesn't matter anyway. There is no G inventory on any flights (I have inflexible travel dates).

It's my first year as PM, and get the feeling I will never use these PMUs. The international Y/B/M fares are ridiculously overpriced and there are plenty of Y-up or sale fares out there that obviate the need for a PMU. Doemstically, they are only useful for a companion, since I do just fine on my own buying T fares and getting the medallion upgrade. And I usually travel alone, so..

Looks like the PMUs are going in the circular file with the AMEX companion certificates.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 7:21 am

Thanks for the replies, but it doesn't matter anyway. There is no G inventory on any flights (I have inflexible travel dates).
When are these travel dates? G opens up at different times before the flights. An alert set up on ExpertFlyer (pay service) has come in handy for many several times to let me know when G/Z inventory has opened.

Doemstically, they are only useful for a companion, since I do just fine on my own buying T fares and getting the medallion upgrade.
It all depends on the route...there are some flights where a Medallion UG as a PM is almost a sure thing and a PMU might thus be unneeded. On other routes, a PMU can ensure a UG that might otherwise be tough to get. I burned my last two that expired this past Feb on a RT RNO-SLC-PHL. At least two of those flights would have been tough Medallion UGs. For example, I was sure glad to have used a PMU to get a seat up front for the 4.5 hour flight from PHL-SLC that had over 60 Medallions on the waitlist with only four empty F seats 45 minutes prior to departure. I almost certainly would have been in Y without my PMU.

Last edited by clarence5ybr; Aug 8, 2009 at 9:27 am
Old Aug 11, 2009, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by WBurcham
2. As a PM, call SMS at the 5 day window (or check DL.com on any non-Y fare, if it shows "available" there are V/X seats) and request to change your upgrade instrument from PMU to Complimentary (G/Z to V/X if you'd like to tell them that). You can do this all the way until checkin @ the airport. At that point you should have to surrender the PMU.
Is this right? I've never actually done this, but will they swap you from G to V?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Is this right? I've never actually done this, but will they swap you from G to V?
They will...it doesn't matter to them; but, if this is your plan, don't surrender the PMU until the last minute.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by DLfan
They will...it doesn't matter to them; but, if this is your plan, don't surrender the PMU until the last minute.
I've never surrendered the PMU until I got to the airport anyway....
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:09 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr

It all depends on the route...there are some flights where a Medallion UG as a PM is almost a sure thing and a PMU might thus be unneeded. On other routes, a PMU can ensure a UG that might otherwise be tough to get. I burned my last two that expired this past Feb on a RT RNO-SLC-PHL. At least two of those flights would have been tough Medallion UGs. For example, I was sure glad to have used a PMU to get a seat up front for the 4.5 hour flight from PHL-SLC that had over 60 Medallions on the waitlist with only four empty F seats 45 minutes prior to departure. I almost certainly would have been in Y without my PMU.
What was your fare class?

Last edited by DeltaFirst; Aug 12, 2009 at 6:38 pm
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
What was you fare class?
K. That was the lowest fare available when I purchased the ticket 22 days in advance, which is why I think my odds of a Medallion UG would have been low.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
K. That was the lowest fare available when I purchased the ticket 22 days in advance, which is why I think my odds of a Medallion UG would have been low.
I'm in a similar situation. I bought a K class ticket several months in advance ATL/SFO, so far so good as it looks like the seats up front are not filling up very fast and I'm still over 40 days out. Call me paranoid but I still think I might have a good shot at an upgrade.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by DLfan
Come to think of it though, if you are willing to burn a PMU on a route one should always secure the UPG with a PMU and then see if they can swap it out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.