Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did SYD prices increase 40-100% overnight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2009, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1+MM / HH Lifetime Diamond
The cheapest SYR-SYD last night in coach I could find was $1050 now it's $925. Better. Because while Delta was $1050 UA was at $950.

However, I wasn't really complaining much about the bargain basement coach fares. They haven't touched the M fares from when they jacked those up almost two weeks ago. Still $3400 versus $2400 a few weeks back.

Seems to be a fare rollercoaster. These people are just ridiculous. How are you supposed to plan a trip when the fares change depending on which way the wind blows.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by doodiedan
While a little OT, I wanted to respond to the post below as I thought the information woudl be helpful.
I noticed the "cannot be combined with other offers" language in the T&C as well.

However, I received different information when I e-mailed Delta to confirm a couple weeks ago. Delta rep said he wasn't familiar with Amex double flown miles promotion so he put me in touch with an Amex rep:

Stacking Amex Double Flown Miles & Delta Picture Perfect

"Mr. nfg05,

I manage Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express. I recently launched 2x flown miles promotion and I want to thank you for registering. Regarding your question around earning bonus miles from Picture Perfect as well as 2x flown campaign and the answer is yes. You will earn double flight miles for any trips taken between 7/1 – 12/31. Picture perfect and 2x flown are independent of each other. Two very rich offers in the market for you. You should definitely take advantage of it.

Let me know if you have any other questions."

Qualifying for Delta Picture Perfect Promotion using connecting flights

"Hi nfg05,

As long as you fly on the LAX-SYD-LAX flights, it does not matter where you originate travel on your ticket. Bottom line, yes - you will get the bonus.

Hope this explanation helps."

Last edited by nfg05; Aug 6, 2009 at 12:41 am
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Welcome to "pricing chicken". When you think the price is right, pull the trigger.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:59 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Welcome to "pricing chicken". When you think the price is right, pull the trigger.
^, and after the 24 hour cancellation period ends, stop checking the price for a while, or you'll drive yourself nuts. Trust me, it will probably never drop enough to justify the change fee.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:48 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Anyone have a rough idea what Delta needs to charge for LAX-SYD in coach to break even?
If they could sell a reasonable amount of rev in J, probably what they're charging now. All the news stories I'm reading is that the loss of business travel is killing their finanicials, and they can't raise the prices enough in Y to cover the spread. To break even in Y, I'd presume they'd need to sell out at the short-term price you just saw.

I wouldn't be suprised if they could break even, using accounting tricks, if they could fill the J cabin on redemptions... given the prices I saw were in the 300,000 RDM range. Considering I could get down there in UA in award F, at 160,000, as a UA nobody, I didn't jump on that one.

Originally Posted by ceieoc
From DTW to SYD, DL and NW want me to layover in LAX for 23 hours otherwise the fare is $100.00 more. It seems like the DL/NW reservation system is offering the worst possible layover connections. Why do they do this?
Because they can. The cheapest fare, either rev or award, always includes the first/last flight of the day. If it's international, the same model will follow. The cheapest fare will always be the most painful legal connection.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 4:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
[QUOTE=sbagdon;12183235]If they could sell a reasonable amount of rev in J, probably what they're charging now. All the news stories I'm reading is that the loss of business travel is killing their finanicials, and they can't raise the prices enough in Y to cover the spread. To break even in Y, I'd presume they'd need to sell out at the short-term price you just saw.

I wouldn't be suprised if they could break even, using accounting tricks, if they could fill the J cabin on redemptions... given the prices I saw were in the 300,000 RDM range. Considering I could get down there in UA in award F, at 160,000, as a UA nobody, I didn't jump on that one.

QUOTE]

Yeah, I would have to imagine that the number of people redeeming at the 300,000+ level for BE to SYD has got to be very minimal. Medium BE tickets are 240,000k and everyone is complaining about those and the LOW BE awards at 150,000k are virtually non-existant. Its odd that Delta would rather fill the FC cabin with non-revs then release tons more inventory at the 150,000k level which I think many, many people would probably jump on. (I would!)
Old Aug 6, 2009, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sbagdon
If they could sell a reasonable amount of rev in J, probably what they're charging now.
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Its odd that Delta would rather fill the FC cabin with non-revs then release tons more inventory at the 150,000k level which I think many, many people would probably jump on. (I would!)
These remarks speak to completely different issues. The direct effect of award redemptions is small: a trivial reduction (just hundredths of a cent per mile) in balance sheet liability. Filling either cabin with frequent flyers doesn't make a flight profitable, although it may add to the joy of those traveling.

Public data on average cost per mile are available, but ticket prices are always about marginal revenue - since marginal costs for that incremental passenger are pretty close to zero.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:42 pm

Perhaps if you complain more via the Email/TTU options they'll listen to us

I know I did.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Originally Posted by ceieoc
I was planning to go to SYD from DTW or JFK and was planning to book last night. Prices were $760-1000. Before I could book prices increased to double or more.

Some fares even advertise that they are a promo fare on NW/DL but are discounted by only a few pennies.
Fuel didn't go up. What happened? Does anyone expect prices will drop as abruptly?
Why the shock? THis happens all the time, day to day, week to week, heck even hour to hour. I have a golden rule for this too, if it looks like a good deal - take it cause it won't be there tomorrow!
Old Aug 6, 2009, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
i just pulled some $800 RT fares (with tax) jfk to syd for november. layover is 2 hr and 40 min going (just enough time to hit In n Out) and 1 hr and 40 min on the return.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:44 pm

Programs: S3
Anyone else notice VAustrlaia is nolonger displaying SYDLAX after Aug11 ???????
Old Aug 10, 2009, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by SLC777RES
Anyone else notice VAustrlaia is nolonger displaying SYDLAX after Aug11 ???????
Might be an error on whatever search engine you're using. I see LAX-SYD for late August and afterwards on vaustralia.com.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:44 pm

Notice all the itnerest to fly to SYD calmed down when DL screwed up and randomly raised fares? Great way to lose business

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.