Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

If you can't believe your eyes...25K for Lasik (incl 5K for a FREE eye exam)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you can't believe your eyes...25K for Lasik (incl 5K for a FREE eye exam)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2009, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Wife and I went in yesterday in Centerville, OH. Took one hour for the screening. No really hard sell, just some recommendations. $1900 for each eye. They also have $200 off each eye but claim that discount will invalidate the 20K SM bonus.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 4:44 pm

Completed it in IND on 08/05/09 - about 1.5 hours - about $4000.00 for both eyes to be completed by Allegretto Wavefront Optimized.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
I would also be wavefront - about $1,700 per eye. Had my appointment earlier today; I could conceivably do this immediately after January 1, 2010 (can't revise my flexible spending account this year).
Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:42 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by jetta2.0t
I think i'll make an appointment to see if i'm eligible. 5k for an hour long appointment is worth it to me. If the end result is me never having to buy a -7.5 box of contacts again, then i'll be happy.
Same here, believe that equates to 20/600. Since 20/800(?) is "legally blind", this keeps coming up... yet...

Originally Posted by NoCRJ
I don't post often, but let me advise that as an eye doctor, I would strongly suggest visiting your local LASIK surgeon for a second opinion before proceeding with LASIK PLUS. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Also be wary of bait-and-switch tactics and the hard sell during your "free" eye exam. The most common one they use is to double the price if you have astigmatism (which most people have some).
Those of us with this are always wary of the "glasses in 1 hour, all contacts in stock" claims.

Originally Posted by ttjoseph
IMHO forget all this miles nonsense. You only get one set of eyes. Find an ophthalmologist who has done a whole lot of Lasik procedures. If this person happens to be affiliated with Lasik Plus, then great, collect your miles. If not, don't let the miles sway you. If there is anything like a hard sell during the exam, run away!
Which leads to still wearing contacts. I can take them out and put them in in seconds. You brush your teeth, you put in your contacts. Big deal. I once didn't wear lenses for a few years (allergies), and during the re-fitting they expected a 1/2-hour lesson. 1 minute later, I told them thanks, I can do it myself. Risking my eyes for 1min/day is a tough risk/benefit decision.

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I'm holding out until I can get 15,000 miles for donating a kidney.
The wholesale/retails spread is amazing. I'd hold out for much more.

Last edited by sbagdon; Aug 6, 2009 at 3:50 am
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:40 am

We sent Dad (as a test rabbit- is that how you say it properly?) to a nearby location in Chicago and he qualified. 4K for both eyes. He scheduled lasik for November but he's not sure if he will go...

I put in his DL # and not his NW since it seems DL miles post much faster than NW miles. I also told him to re-confirm at the location that he will get his 5K miles. He told me the lady "did something in the computer" after he mentioned the promo. His eye exam was on 8/12 and the miles still haven't posted, but I'm patiently waiting. Anyone had their 5K post?

-Kinglobjaw
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by rbAA
What's next, Reward Networks adding doctors into the mix?
Would be nice. Oh, and hospitals too! Just had a surgery/hospital stay that cost $45k. Imagine, at the old rate of 10 miles per $.

-Kinglobjaw
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:16 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I went in for my consult last week. I purposely tried to mess up on the vision test so it would appear I did not have perfect vision but somehow still got a score of 20/20. I was in and out in 10 minutes and the next day got an email thanking me for my visit.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
begging me not to have my contacts in when I get to the appointment (I wear them all the time and am not going to wear my glasses for half a day of work tomorrow).
That's required for the exam, and if I remember correctly there's a period of time (weeks?) where you can't wear contacts prior to the surgery. It's worth it though.....I had it over 7 years ago and still loving it!!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Travels2mch
That's required for the exam, and if I remember correctly there's a period of time (weeks?) where you can't wear contacts prior to the surgery. It's worth it though.....I had it over 7 years ago and still loving it!!
Had my consult last Friday. Took about 90 minutes. I have terrible vision in one eye and near-perfect in the other so they only recommended for one eye @ $1860 inc a 15% health ins discount. Not bad really. They also said I would need to go without the contacts for weeks and go back so they could accurately measure my cornea as I guess wearing contacts makes the eyes swell and change form, so they couldn't accurately measure exactly what I would need until I went in contact-free.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Travels2mch
Meh. Just had an exam with my regular eye doctor, who introduced me to multi-focal contacts. They're great, far cheaper than lasik, and no chance of a botched "correction."

My eye doctor did point out what others have upthread: You don't see very many eye doctors who have had lasik. I wonder why that is?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Addition to the equation - Consent Form

I just got a letter in the mail from Lasik Plus saying I must complete and mail back to them this enclosed consent form within the next 10 business days before I can receive my miles. I find this odd and it was mentioned nowhere and by no one I spoke with when I called, went, and had the exam.

It is signed by their Director of Marketing and looks official enough. Any of you lawyers out there see anything wrong with this? I am assuming this is so due to the presence of medical records and such.

PM me if you want an emailed copy of the doc.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
I have been checking this forum only occasionally lately, mostly due to work, somewhat due to repetitive content.

Anyway, by far most entertaining thread I've read in what seems like months. Sidesplitting laughter. Thanks uva185 and Gargoyle. ^^

But, I think you must have a typo. Surely a kidney is worth 150k, no?

Originally Posted by uva185
I went in for my consult last week. I purposely tried to mess up on the vision test so it would appear I did not have perfect vision but somehow still got a score of 20/20. I was in and out in 10 minutes and the next day got an email thanking me for my visit.
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I'm holding out until I can get 15,000 miles for donating a kidney.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 8:11 am

counterpoint

Originally Posted by icurhere2
I could conceivably do this immediately after January 1, 2010 (can't revise my flexible spending account this year).
I did the consults in '06 and had the procedure on Jan 4, 2007 for flexible spending account reasons. $3400 to correct two -2.0 myopic eyes, only points I received were MemRewards when I used my AmEx on Jan 4th, my corporate FSA reimbursed me within 2 weeks and my 26 paychecks in '07 were each deducted around $160 (however, this money is untaxed!)

I followed the advice about not using contacts for weeks. I used the drops afterwards until they were through. And it's the best thing I've ever done, I am kicking myself that I waiting until my 30s for this. The last sentence is not hyperbole, it really changed my life. Got me motivated to lose weight and start exercising, I was seeing life differently.

I think this surgery is amazing, a modern miracle and I know many other success stories. Of course I've seen the stats that they show you while you're deciding, it is a big decision and not everyone accepts 1/10000 risks. And yes you can argue that they don't know what happens to surgically repaired eyes in 40 years, but seriously in 40 years they will invent the "LASIK 40-year Fix" with nano-machines and robotic doctors.

Originally Posted by pokeable
Better yet, find an opthy who has personally undergone the procedure.

Can't find one? Makes you wonder about the procedure, huh? I know several, and none have undergone the procedure or recommend to friends.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:42 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
It's legit

By the way the consent form is legit. I tracked down the signer of the letter (the Director of Marketing) via a power called Google and emailed her directly. Her reply was short but to the point:

"Yes, the letter and form are legit. You will have to sign it and return it to get your miles."

Good nuff for me. It'll go in the mail on Monday.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by pokeable
Better yet, find an opthy who has personally undergone the procedure.

Can't find one? Makes you wonder about the procedure, huh? I know several, and none have undergone the procedure or recommend to friends.
Dr. Richard Brown (http://www.tlcvision.com/centers/lit...k/doctors.fxml) did my surgery and he has had lasik. The Dr. who did my follow up exams also had lasik a few weeks after I had the surgery. At my two month checkup she was at 20/20 in both eyes and definately still recommending it to other people. Some people are afraid of change and would rather stick to contacts or glasses, and thats fine, but everyday there are more and more people deciding that its worth $2k to never wear glasses again. I had surgery 2 years ago this month and my vision is 20/15. I have never regretted it at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.