Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

If you can't believe your eyes...25K for Lasik (incl 5K for a FREE eye exam)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you can't believe your eyes...25K for Lasik (incl 5K for a FREE eye exam)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant

Last edited by jetta2.0t; Mar 15, 2013 at 4:50 pm
Old Jul 29, 2009, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by gj83
I've been looking for an excuse to get lasik. I was going to time it better to "finance" it through flexible spending, but they should hopefully know some of the ins and outs of that. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought to do that.
Originally Posted by SJS58
I've been wanting some input on whether or not I would be eligible for lasik surgery and to receive 5000 miles to boot. All good. I called in and made an appointment for 8/21 in Houston. They took my skymiles number over the phone. Very easy...no problems. I'll bring my card to the appointment to confirm they have the skymiles number.
Me too. I don't think my particular vision problem is eligible for LASIK. But I am not sure. Now I can verify and get 5K as well. I have always had it in the back of my mind that I would like to get my vision corrected but I have procrastinated on taking action. If I get bad news I still get 5K. If I get good news I think the extra 20K miles will definitely look at forcing the procedure into my budget.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by hellyea
I think you're overreacting. So you can't take a pair of glasses with you to work and then change out of contacts before going to your appt? And oh my god, you have to call a second number?? oh no!!
I probably am overreacting - but the whole series of questions got my dander up on the first phone call. It began to sound like a timeshare presentation. So I'll pass.

Um, I do have work to do at work. Sometimes.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I probably am overreacting - but the whole series of questions got my dander up on the first phone call. It began to sound like a timeshare presentation. So I'll pass.

Um, I do have work to do at work. Sometimes.
I sat through a time-share presentation just to get some Hilton points. For SkyMiles I would stoop much lower.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA LTGLD, DL PLT, SPG Gold, HH Gold
how much is the actual procedure?
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by doodiedan
How can they not have one of these centers in Los Angeles??? Closest location is San Diego. Definitely not worth 5K miles for me.
Yeah, I can't believe it... I'm wondering what the capabilities of this company are if they can't establish themselves in LA/OC County; some of the most appearance-conscience people anywhere

Last edited by luv2ctheworld; Jul 29, 2009 at 8:57 pm
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
There's one in the BNA burbs but none in MEM (where I'll be for a few days next week); going to use a few hours from my accrued months of sick leave.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 9:18 am

Programs: DL DM/3MM//AA EXP
I don't post often, but let me advise that as an eye doctor, I would strongly suggest visiting your local LASIK surgeon for a second opinion before proceeding with LASIK PLUS. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Also be wary of bait-and-switch tactics and the hard sell during your "free" eye exam. The most common one they use is to double the price if you have astigmatism (which most people have some).

General guidelines regarding contact lens wear prior to evaluation and surgery (at least from my perspective) are: For daily wear patients; 2 weeks without contact lenses. For extended wear (overnight wear); 2 weeks of daily wear (meaning no lenses overnight for 2 weeks) followed by no contact lens wear for 2 more weeks. The other option for the extended wear patient is just to come out of lenses for 3 weeks period. Everyone has different guidelines and mine are pretty conservative.

This is a publicly traded company and the financial results should be readily available. This is an outfit on the ropes and if they were to go under, what happens should you have a problem with your LASIK surgery?
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:49 am

IMHO forget all this miles nonsense. You only get one set of eyes. Find an ophthalmologist who has done a whole lot of Lasik procedures. If this person happens to be affiliated with Lasik Plus, then great, collect your miles. If not, don't let the miles sway you. If there is anything like a hard sell during the exam, run away!
Old Jul 30, 2009, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NoCRJ
I don't post often, but let me advise that as an eye doctor, I would strongly suggest visiting your local LASIK surgeon for a second opinion before proceeding with LASIK PLUS. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Also be wary of bait-and-switch tactics and the hard sell during your "free" eye exam. The most common one they use is to double the price if you have astigmatism (which most people have some).

General guidelines regarding contact lens wear prior to evaluation and surgery (at least from my perspective) are: For daily wear patients; 2 weeks without contact lenses. For extended wear (overnight wear); 2 weeks of daily wear (meaning no lenses overnight for 2 weeks) followed by no contact lens wear for 2 more weeks. The other option for the extended wear patient is just to come out of lenses for 3 weeks period. Everyone has different guidelines and mine are pretty conservative.

This is a publicly traded company and the financial results should be readily available. This is an outfit on the ropes and if they were to go under, what happens should you have a problem with your LASIK surgery?

I am sorry but I have to disagree with most of your post. I had a LASIK consultation last Friday (7/24) and am having the surgery tomorrow (8/1) at 9:20. I wear the Night and Day contacts, and I was able to wear contacts
during the day and take them out to sleep from Friday night until Monday night. Then I had to wear my glasses exclusively three days prior to surgery (tues, wed, thurs). Everyones requirements are different, but I don't beleive that it is two weeks long.

However, I did call about getting the Skymiles and you are not able to use any other discounts with the Skymiles promotion. THis includes an vision insurance discounts or any promotional offers the LASIK center is having. At that point you would need to decide for yourself which is better.

Everyone I have talked to about the surgery says that it is the best think that they have ever done. So am I pretty excited about it.

Now lets hope I can see tomorrow at this time!
Old Jul 31, 2009, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
I went today to the Duluth office here in Atlanta and got my test and 5000 miles. Well the miles will actually come in the months ahead. I did ask for a print out of the receptionist's screen once she sent in my FF number. She gladly gave it to me.

The total cost for the procedure is $3600 (two eyes). They offered two years same as cash financing. They make a pretty hard sell on you. I made an appointment for September but the nice lady knows I'll cancel it. She said that's fine but it'd benefit her if we at least got an appointment in the books before I left. Fine by me.

Took about 90 minutes and they are well aware of the Delta SkyMiles offer. It told them to expect a good number of folks to come in on this. I was the first today but there were two yesterday. Nice people. Professional approach. 5000 miles. Pretty good use of the total time of 2 hours of my life it took to make the call, drive there, and drive home.

Now we'll see if/when the miles actually post.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by woody125
I went today to the Duluth office here in Atlanta and got my test and 5000 miles. Well the miles will actually come in the months ahead. I did ask for a print out of the receptionist's screen once she sent in my FF number. She gladly gave it to me.

The total cost for the procedure is $3600 (two eyes). They offered two years same as cash financing. They make a pretty hard sell on you. I made an appointment for September but the nice lady knows I'll cancel it. She said that's fine but it'd benefit her if we at least got an appointment in the books before I left. Fine by me.

Took about 90 minutes and they are well aware of the Delta SkyMiles offer. It told them to expect a good number of folks to come in on this. I was the first today but there were two yesterday. Nice people. Professional approach. 5000 miles. Pretty good use of the total time of 2 hours of my life it took to make the call, drive there, and drive home.

Now we'll see if/when the miles actually post.
Many of us were skeptical that the Bosley 20K would post last year. But they came and we all rejoiced. I have no reason to believe that we will have to fight for the miles. Sure, there will be a few who might have screw ups but it sounded like you covered all your bases. It will be a nice nudge to your balance in a month or so.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 7:31 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
What's next, Reward Networks adding doctors into the mix?
Old Aug 1, 2009, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I'm holding out until I can get 15,000 miles for donating a kidney.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 12:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ttjoseph
IMHO forget all this miles nonsense. You only get one set of eyes. Find an ophthalmologist who has done a whole lot of Lasik procedures. If this person happens to be affiliated with Lasik Plus, then great, collect your miles. If not, don't let the miles sway you. If there is anything like a hard sell during the exam, run away!
Better yet, find an opthy who has personally undergone the procedure.

Can't find one? Makes you wonder about the procedure, huh? I know several, and none have undergone the procedure or recommend to friends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.