Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inaugural ATL-LAX-SYD 777LR Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2009, 8:30 am

Programs: DL-DM, Hilton-Dia
trip report, please

Guess you guys that took the Inaugural flight are still trying to get some sleep after the 15 hour trip. When one or more of you wake up PLEASE post a trip report. As a NW Plat I have never been on any 777 & have a trip LAX-SYD on a 777LR later this month in economy (ugh!). What should I expect? Is a window seat or asile better? Where you able to get any sleep? What is the meal service like? Any insight about your experence is welcomed.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by 1Banker
Guess you guys that took the Inaugural flight are still trying to get some sleep after the 15 hour trip. When one or more of you wake up PLEASE post a trip report. As a NW Plat I have never been on any 777 & have a trip LAX-SYD on a 777LR later this month in economy (ugh!). What should I expect? Is a window seat or asile better? Where you able to get any sleep? What is the meal service like? Any insight about your experence is welcomed.
I too am flying to SYD, but in late August; I am looking forward to the flight.

Once I discovered that DL was flying those B777LRs on LAX/ATL, I booked a few trips on that route (flights 243 and 244). I flew back from ATL yesterday and am off again on Monday. The aircraft is great. I loved the trip. The FAs on the domestic leg are ATL based, at least they were yesterday. I have to say, upgrades are really easy to come by on that plane.

The seat itself is thin, but comfortable. It's much better than the Virgin B744 or A340 UC. The screen is large, but not very maneuverable. It swings out, but the arm is fixed: you can't pull the screen closer to you, but it does rotate.

The seat has a nice, bright reading light--as well as the overhead light. There's a socket for an Ethernet cable and a USB port. I don't know what the Ethernet cable is for. I will try it out on Monday. AN FA announced that there was satellite TV on board; I think he spoke in error; I didn't see any live TV. I noticed too that the trivia game was not loaded. Is that just on the B772s or has DL dumped the trivia game entirely?

(By the way, it's been a strange week: there were two medical emergencies on the LAX/ATL leg on Monday and one yesterday--things really do come in threes!!)

I found a menu too. I assume it was for the LAX/SYD leg, since it listed Australian wines. My apologies to the person in 14D . However <specious rationalization> since you guys place your beauty sleep before our need to know, I feel justified. The details are below; I take because I care.</specious rationalization> Here's the menu.

FIRST COURSE
Grilled Shrimp with daikon slaw
Carrot and Ginger Soup
Fresh Seasonal Salad with oranges and candied nuts

MAIN COURSE
Rigatoni Pasta tossed with stewed tomato sauce, olives and capers
Filet of Beef with port wine sauce, accompanied by potato wedges and asparagus
Roasted Chicken Breast with barbecue sauce, offered with spinach, carrots and rice
Pan-Fried King Klip enhanced by prego sauce and a medley of vegetables

DESSERT
Fine Cheeses selected to perfectly complement one another in flavor and texture, offered with fresh fruit
All Natural Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae with your choice of sauces, whipped cream and chopped nuts, garnished with a pirouline cookie

After this service a variety of snacks will be available for your enjoyment.

MID-FLIGHT SNACK
Seasonal Fresh Fruit
Selection of Finger Sandwiches
Cake

PRE-ARRIVAL LIGHT MEAL
Served with assorted breakfast breads and preserves.

Seasonal Fresh Fruit
Omelet with smoke gouda cheese and caramelized onions, accompanied by a potato cake and turkey bacon
Torta Espagnola served with roasted tomato wedges and chicken sausage

WINES
WHITES
Pacific Rim Dry Riesling, California, 2007
Bonterra Sauvignon Blanc, Mendocino, California, 2008
REDS
Wakefield Promised Land Shiraz Cabernet, Australia, 2005
Chateau Greysac Medoc Cru Bourgeois, France, 2002
DESSERT WINES
Plunkett's Blackwood Ridge Botryitis Semillion, Australia, NV
Ferreira Dona Antonia Reserve Port, Portugal, NV
SPARKLING WINE
Scharffenberger Brut Sparkling Wine, California, NV
Old Jul 3, 2009, 1:31 pm

Programs: AC SE, Alaska MVP Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond
Thanks for the menu! I'm still anxiously awaiting a trip report as well. I'll be traveling DTW-SYD at the end of this month...but sadly I don't think I'll be getting to try any of these items as I'll be traveling in the back

I noticed too that the trivia game was not loaded. Is that just on the B772s or has DL dumped the trivia game entirely?
I really hope they didn't dump the trivia game! I was able to play it for the first time on a 737-800 back in May...it's a great way to pass some time, and I was really looking forward to playing again from LAX - SYD!
Old Jul 3, 2009, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What is excellent trip reports details. I'm glad that he is enjoyable for flying out of LAX-SYD. I'm sure his flight will be very successful. I am never been flown in the J class before. I will have more opportunity to put me in the J class for next future trip out of USA. Surely that he will try to take a pictures inside the entire aircraft.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ysbyvr
I really hope they didn't dump the trivia game! I was able to play it for the first time on a 737-800 back in May...it's a great way to pass some time, and I was really looking forward to playing again from LAX - SYD!
I played the game on trips last summer; I had a blast. I'd hate to see it go.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
AN FA announced that there was satellite TV on board; I think he spoke in error; I didn't see any live TV.
The crew working the flight most likely did not remember they were working on an international aircraft (since domestic aircraft usually ply ATL-LAX) where Satellite Tv is not available...

The 77L AVOD PTV program selection however is very extensive and a lot better than what is found on the other planes with AVOD PTVs (77E, 764, 763, 752, etc.) - over 150 movies vs 25 on the other planes, for example...

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I found a menu too. I assume it was for the LAX/SYD leg, since it listed Australian wines. .
The Australian wines are actually standard wines on all BE flights worldwide this month (and last as well)...
Old Jul 3, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Video clip of SYD-LAX inaugural

Here's a news clip from Aussie TV regarding Delta's entry into the SYD-LAX market:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emPFQ...layer_embedded
Old Jul 3, 2009, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Here's a news clip from Aussie TV regarding Delta's entry into the SYD-LAX market:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emPFQ...layer_embedded
Thanks! Great video! I am really likes it lot. I'm glad to see DL is inaugural nonstop for LAX-SYD-LAX. I hear the loads are very successfully routes. It will have more tougher competitive with QF, UA, NZ. I'll guaranteeing can do that for my next future trip to Australia sometimes in the future.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 4:13 pm

Programs: NW/DL Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Silver, National Exec
Can't wait to read this trip report, I'm on the July 17th MSP-LAX-SYD in Z and would love to know how the service was!
Old Jul 3, 2009, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jibs01
Can't wait to read this trip report, I'm on the July 17th MSP-LAX-SYD in Z and would love to know how the service was!
Excellent! Let us know how it going for LAX-SYD doing? Maybe you can allowed to take a photo inside the entire aircraft and meals, too. Hope that you will enjoyable the trip to Australia. Is that your first-time trip to SYD?
Old Jul 3, 2009, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Probably some Aussie's service animal.

David
Or dinner. Kangaroo steaks are quite tasty!
Old Jul 3, 2009, 7:01 pm

Programs: Independent
CAn anyone tell me (without this degrading into a DL bashing thread like it does on other boards) if this is still likely to be a 777LR through the fall?
Old Jul 3, 2009, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cloudship
CAn anyone tell me (without this degrading into a DL bashing thread like it does on other boards) if this is still likely to be a 777LR through the fall?
Yes, it will still on operating 77L aircraft. It is more profitable routes out of LAX-SYD. Maybe in the future where DL will be deployed on operating 747-400 aircraft. DL will able to bring more increase the passengers capacity.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 8:15 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by N830MH
. I hear the loads are very successfully routes..

Loads should be able to hold up until the end of SEP as it is now peak time for SYD-LAX.... I reckon airlines like NZ, FJ will be hardest hit as they used to get all the el cheapo pax who got a cheaper fare going indirect... nbow DL and VA offer those fares, there is not really an incentive to fly via a transit point anymore...
Old Jul 3, 2009, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cloudship
I suspect that as summer dawns in Australia, if the route is successful, DL will need the B772LR. I'm just hoping that the equipment stays on the route through September.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.