Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta BE versus NW WBC Comparison

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by DL-Don
Doing the math, 16/50 or 32% of the seats are not obstructed on the 777 while 6/65 or 9.2% are not obstructed on the 747. Since 4EF and 77AB are generally too hot for me, that only leaves 2/65 or 3% of the seats as acceptable (to me).
(There is no 9A/9B on the 744. I think you probably mean 10A/10B.)

Your numbers are a bit off. Based on your definition of unobstructed (not having to climb over anyone or anyone climb over you): 18/65 (27.7%) are either exit rows or bulkheads. I'm not including your 4EF since there are seats in front of them, but if you want to, then it goes to 20/65. These are all seats where you can easily get up and back in, even if your seatmate is fully reclined.

But I generally don't get up very much on flights (maybe once or twice during a long haul, and I don't mind stepping over someone's feet or having someone step over mine). So, for me, the priority is window seats, of which 27/65 (41.5%) are. On the 777, only 17/50 (34%) are windows...

And I'm usually cold on the airplane, so for me the upper-deck is fine (although only once did I ever notice it to be warmer -- after it was on the ground for a long delay in LAX).

But, this really is a case of YMMV. What works for you doesn't work for someone else and v.v. What I really wanted to do was dispel the notion that the 744 somehow has a "middle-seat configuration" when in fact, only 3/65 seats are middles.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:27 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
(There is no 9A/9B on the 744. I think you probably mean 10A/10B.)
You are correct. I meant 10A/10B.

Your numbers are a bit off. Based on your definition of unobstructed (not having to climb over anyone or anyone climb over you): 18/65 (27.7%) are either exit rows or bulkheads. I'm not including your 4EF since there are seats in front of them, but if you want to, then it goes to 20/65. These are all seats where you can easily get up and back in, even if your seatmate is fully reclined.
With the exception of 10A/10B, the bulkhead seats do not have room for you to get out of your seat without climbing over or being climbed over. There are no seats in front of 4EF; that's where the newspaper/magazine container is. But again, there are no air vents for these seats. The only exit row seats are in row 77 on the upper deck. Only the 77AB seats have nothing in front of them to impede getting up. The 77JK seats have the upper deck F/A seats in front of them.

But I generally don't get up very much on flights (maybe once or twice during a long haul, and I don't mind stepping over someone's feet or having someone step over mine). So, for me, the priority is window seats, of which 27/65 (41.5%) are. On the 777, only 17/50 (34%) are windows...

And I'm usually cold on the airplane, so for me the upper-deck is fine (although only once did I ever notice it to be warmer -- after it was on the ground for a long delay in LAX).
Wonderful for you. They do provide blankets for those that are cold but not air conditioned suits for those of us who are not. So why not keep the ambient temperture colder?

But, this really is a case of YMMV. What works for you doesn't work for someone else and v.v. What I really wanted to do was dispel the notion that the 744 somehow has a "middle-seat configuration" when in fact, only 3/65 seats are middles.
OK, so it doesn't have a predominantly middle-seat configuration. Let's just call it a jungle gym with lots of opportunities for climbing.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:45 am

With the exception of 10A/10B, the bulkhead seats do not have room for you to get out of your seat without climbing over or being climbed over. There are no seats in front of 4EF; that's where the newspaper/magazine container is. But again, there are no air vents for these seats. The only exit row seats are in row 77 on the upper deck. Only the 77AB seats have nothing in front of them to impede getting up. The 77JK seats have the upper deck F/A seats in front of them.
I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree. The bulkhead and exit row seats have had ample room for me to get up when I've needed to (recall that I like the windows). But you're right, they're not as unobstructed as two aisle seats next to each other. As for the F/A seat, it's really only a problem, I've found, when the F/A is sitting in them. Which is not usually a problem because when they're sitting, you need to be sitting, too.

Wonderful for you. They do provide blankets for those that are cold but not air conditioned suits for those of us who are not. So why not keep the ambient temperture colder?
As I said, I've really only experienced one time when the upper-deck was warmer, and I think that can be attributed to sitting on the tarmac during a 2+ hour delay. The generally do keep the cabins a little cooler because it's easier to layer than it is to cool people down individually. But again, on any given flight, YMMV. I definitely have not had a problem with the 744 cabin being consistently warmer.

FWIW, I found that once DL started taking over the MSP-ATL routes, their cabin crews turned the heat up to full blast in the wintertime. Dunno if they weren't used to the MN weather, but it was like walking into an oven. Even started to sweat a little!

OK, so it doesn't have a predominantly middle-seat configuration. Let's just call it a jungle gym with lots of opportunities for climbing.
I don't agree with that description either, but my point has been sufficiently made and I don't feel like nitpicking.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:55 am

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree.
I agree and I believe both of us giving our views and perspectives will help others weigh their personal needs and preferences to make choices that best fit them.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I agree and I believe both of us giving our views and perspectives will help others weigh their personal needs and preferences to make choices that best fit them.
So if the temp did not vary and you ended up on the 744 not the 777 (not available in Oct), would you prefer 10A/B or 77A/B? I have 10B on the outbound (ATL-NRT, cross-fleeted) due to a close connection to HKG but wanted 77B on the return once the seatmaps opened at 90/91 days.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 9:24 pm

I'd take 10B because my carry-on will fit in the overhead bin on the lower deck but not on the upper deck.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 9:52 am

I'd take 10B because my carry-on will fit in the overhead bin on the lower deck but not on the upper deck.
Really? That must be very close to the carry-on limits. I have a backpack that I occasionally use that -- when fully packed -- is just shy of the limits of a carry-on. It fits very nicely in the overhead bins on the upper-deck.

But in any case, the window seats on the upper-deck have wonderfully large side bins that you can fit quite a lot of stuff in. They have a locking lid as well, so completely safe for turbulence and keeping your bags out-of-sight and out-of-mind. And the bins' lids can act as a small table for a few plates or a couple glasses if you need to get up and stow your tray table.

I would take 77A, but 10A is a fine seat as well (I'm partial to window seats).
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Did I miss something... is Delta going to keep WBC seats?

Are any NW metal being replaced with either the old or new flat BE seats?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 4:01 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by CObigtimefan
Did I miss something... is Delta going to keep WBC seats?

Are any NW metal being replaced with either the old or new flat BE seats?
None of the NW WBC seats have been replaced. I believe that decisions are still being made as to which full-flat J seat should go on the A330s and/or 744s (dependent on how long the 744s remain in the fleet). The NW WBC seats are all lie-flats (albeit angled lie-flats) anyway and are in good working order so not necessarily a huge rush to replace them yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.