Wiki Posts
Search

Damaged DL plane at PHL?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2009, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Damaged DL plane at PHL?

I did a search for "PHL", "Philadelphia", "plane", "damage" but came up empty... but apologies if there's a duplicate thread here somewhere in advance...

Anyways, I noticed an unusual site at PHL today: a DL plane parked a way aways from the terminals with scaffolding set up around the front of the plane (from the cockpit to roughly the forward door); tarps were set-up to obscure whatever was going on under there.

Does anyone know what's going on? At first I thought they were doing a livery update, but I'd imagine they'd do it in ATL or at some other hub. I thought perhaps they were replacing the radar cone or perhaps a broken winshield, but those two items wouldn't need to be shielded from the public either with the tarps.

I also did a search on news sites and came up empty --what's up?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:00 am

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
This is all I could find.

(Google cached page dated 5/19)

Damage to Delta Flt 1009

This morning Delta flt 1009, enroute from Philadelphia to Atlanta, immediately before 'wheels-up', had a major malfunction of the front landing strut (gear) forcing the pilot to abort the take-off. Bruses (sic) and shaken passengers were the only incidents. The inside of the palne (sic) is pretty trashed...See the pics...

Last edited by COpltASgldPHX; Jun 8, 2009 at 7:42 am
Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From USAviation.com:

The 737 in PHL had a tow bar break and the tug ran under the A/C. That one is getting worked by our guys as well. Probably a 2 month repair.
http://www.usaviation.com/forums/ind...dpost&p=689424
Old Jun 8, 2009, 6:22 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by FWAAA
This other site indicates it just was landing gear damage caused by a problem with a tug .... just wonder if the tarp is to protect any exposed parts from the weather.... ????

Bob H
Old Jun 8, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Not ho hijack the thread.

But @ CHS yesterday there was a MD-88 sitting with the freight plans. I was told it had a maint. issue and it was the early morning flight and it canceled. Nobody was working on it, and it was sitting there @ 3PM. I am curious if anybody knows what happen to the plan, and why no activity to get it repaired?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL
I was once on a ATL-BOS 738 once, and it had problems pushing back also. It took 4 tries and help from maitenance until it pushed back. The captain said that the pin connecting the tug and the plane broke.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 1:58 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Singleflyer
Not ho hijack the thread.

But @ CHS yesterday there was a MD-88 sitting with the freight plans. I was told it had a maint. issue and it was the early morning flight and it canceled. Nobody was working on it, and it was sitting there @ 3PM. I am curious if anybody knows what happen to the plan, and why no activity to get it repaired?
Possibly waiting on a part? I doubt DL keeps a huge part inventory at Charleston.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Interesting... bad week for DL/NWA tow bars in PHL.

Was late departing on NWA today... seems like NWA broke one of the two DC-9 tow bars they had at PHL. They couldn't juggle DC-9s as quickly as necessary with a single tow bar.

Missed my connection is DTW as a consequence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.