Community
Wiki Posts
Search

overheard: Red Coats are returning

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2009, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by WBurcham
I'm probably too young to remember but what was the purpose of the Red Coat's?
Did you have to add that opening, "I'm probably too young to remember?"
Old Apr 30, 2009, 3:38 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
The redcoats are coming? Oh, no! It's the American Revolution all over again!

To arms! To arms!
Old Apr 30, 2009, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
My how the times have changed:

1) That lockheed is long gone
2) They actually waited for a passenger
3) The stewardesses (yes, that's what they were called) were decent looking
4) That girl is probably 30 now
5) Her parents didn't have to spend $150 to send her as an UM
6) Her grandparents were able to get through security and meet her at the gate
And the airfare would cost the same or less.

David
Old Apr 30, 2009, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
And they were more plentiful than the "Supervisor" personnel who wore blue coats (and I think still do). The Red Coats were essentially relatively available, relatively responsive, relatively empowered, higher-level pseudo-management types who could cut through the clutter, engage the cerebrum, and deal with problems.

They could also serve as a spare set of hands when a flight was late or overbooked, to help the gate agent get things done more efficiently.
The key will be whether they are just window dressing, or whether they will actually be empowered to think on their own to find ways to help people... hoping for the latter.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
The key will be whether they are just window dressing, or whether they will actually be empowered to think on their own to find ways to help people... hoping for the latter.
We were always "empowered" to think AND act on our own...we never were "window dressing".
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
So am I.

It just takes someone with a) a brain and b) empowerment to prevent a lot of situations from escalating into disaster-in-a-teapot.
Old May 1, 2009, 4:10 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WBurcham
I'm probably too young to remember but what was the purpose of the Red Coat's?
It was the guy who could do anything. He could save the day for weary travelers in distress. Simply put, he was who I wanted to be when I was a little non revving Delta kid growing up. The world again seems to be in order.
Old May 1, 2009, 6:55 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
They were the actors in those 80s commercials with the jingles - "Delta....we love to fly and it shows." Wait, did they also have a real job ?
I was watching a basketball game on ESPN classic a while back and one of these commercial came on. The one I saw wasn't a full length commercial...more of a "travel provided by Delta" kind of trailer, but it feature an L10111 in flight, in old widget livery and the "we love to fly and it shows" slogan. Brought back some memories and I'm glad ESPN left the trailer in at the end of the game.

The return of the redcoats is a welcome development and I hope they will be as empowered as they once were.
Old May 1, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Slogan

Originally Posted by DLfan
I was watching a basketball game on ESPN classic a while back and one of these commercial came on. The one I saw wasn't a full length commercial...more of a "travel provided by Delta" kind of trailer, but it feature an L10111 in flight, in old widget livery and the "we love to fly and it shows" slogan. Brought back some memories and I'm glad ESPN left the trailer in at the end of the game.

The return of the redcoats is a welcome development and I hope they will be as empowered as they once were.
I wouldn't be opposed to DL bringing back that slogan.
Old May 1, 2009, 7:23 pm

The red coats are a very visible sign of customer service. It will be interesting to see them deployed in ATL, but JFK is an even more challenging airport so it might work out good. Thankfully red is one of Deltas colors. There may be other customer service developments in the works as well.

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Will they be converting the ones in teal coats at ATL?
The teal coats (that you normally see on in the train stations at ATL) are employees of the Atlanta airport. They're independent.
Old May 1, 2009, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by doug93063
I'm surprised at your negativity.

That was a joke.
Let me put it another way.

There are a lot of good people on the front lines at DL who know what good customer service looks like, but who... in contrast to what they could have done 5 or 10 years ago... have been dis-empowered and can no longer implement common sense solutions.

And if you elect to deny that... then that is the joke.

And... to OHDL1... you misunderstood me. I certainly did not mean that the red coats, in their previous incarnation were "window dressing". Far from it.

But, if DL puts red coats out on the concourses and constrains them with a strict "no waivers no favors" mantra, the current version of red coat will be window dressing.
Old May 1, 2009, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
I welcome back the redcoats. Their uniform always signaled, "I'm here and I'm ready to help." I wish DL would return to announcing connecting gates at least when landing in ATL. This was done by the FA or on the overhead screens.

Last edited by boeingATL; May 1, 2009 at 9:59 pm
Old May 1, 2009, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA,CO, DL,FL,WN.US
This would be a welcome step in the right direction.The redcoats were one reason why Delta was "our" airline, as they made things much easier and could and did resolve issues immediately.I am glad to hear this and it will show that someone is thinking again, when there have been so many problems lately.I can't remember how many times what seemed like a real problem or a near missed flight was solved by one stepping in and getting us on the plane, or quickly solving any other problem that had seemed unsolvable.
Just hope it happens at ATL soon!
Old May 2, 2009, 3:20 am

Let me put it another way.

There are a lot of good people on the front lines at DL who know what good customer service looks like, but who... in contrast to what they could have done 5 or 10 years ago... have been dis-empowered and can no longer implement common sense solutions.

And if you elect to deny that... then that is the joke.

And... to OHDL1... you misunderstood me. I certainly did not mean that the red coats, in their previous incarnation were "window dressing". Far from it.

But, if DL puts red coats out on the concourses and constrains them with a strict "no waivers no favors" mantra, the current version of red coat will be window dressing.
Agreed...
Old May 2, 2009, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by boeingATL
I wish DL would return to announcing connecting gates at least when landing in ATL. This was done by the FA or on the overhead screens.
The problem with that in ATL is the gates change often. Other hubs are more static but due to the immense size of the ATL operation gates change often (as we all have experienced).

The gates that FAs read off on the plane is information that is received about 30 mins before landing. They always warn passengers to re-check the monitors to verify the gate. If every passenger did as was told this wouldn't be a problem. But you know that lots of people don't listen, run to the wrong gate, miss their flight and then get angry at Delta for giving out the wrong information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.