FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   overheard: Red Coats are returning (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/949153-overheard-red-coats-returning.html)

AtlantaAl Apr 30, 2009 10:49 am

overheard: Red Coats are returning

FWIW, on an Atlanta bound flight yesterday afternoon, overhead a station employee talking to what appeared to be a retired pilot, and employee said s/he was headed to Atlanta for Red Coat training.

Anyone else hear rumblings?

AndyTLe Apr 30, 2009 10:58 am

As I recall Red Coats returned awhile ago.

From an Sept 2007 Press Release.

Enhancing customer service

With the new schedule, Delta customers can expect improved service on the ground at JFK with more international-capable self-service kiosks, personalized customer service offered by additional “Red Coats” throughout the terminal, continued improvements to Crown Room Clubs and BusinessElite lounges, complimentary helicopter service between Manhattan and JFK for eligible BusinessElite customers, and improved airport concessions – including recently opened “Bonfire Steakhouse” by celebrity chef Todd English, “Bonfire Bar” by Todd English, Balducci’s Food Lover’s Market, The French Meadow Bakery and Café, and Legend’s Sports Bar.
http://news.delta.com/article_displa...ticle_id=10861

AtlantaAl Apr 30, 2009 11:07 am

Thanks Andy. I remembered hearing that back then, too, but I thought the plan might have gone away with Simplifares, mergers, etc.

Maybe new just to that station. I've been off the road for a while and haven't seen any Red Coats during my recent travels, but I'm a back-of-the-bus LUT passenger clawing my way back toward status...and justifying a crown room membership.

ExNonRev Apr 30, 2009 11:14 am

Currently only implented in JFK, soon to expand to ATL and then other hubs by 3rd QTR

OHDL1 Apr 30, 2009 12:09 pm

LOL...my badge still shows me in my "red coat" I wonder when we transition to RHS (or whatever name they select) if RHS will have Red Coats?

WBurcham Apr 30, 2009 12:25 pm

I'm probably too young to remember but what was the purpose of the Red Coat's?

slappy Apr 30, 2009 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by WBurcham (Post 11672001)

IIRC, they were the people to turn to if problems arose with your itinerary or flight. Akin to Customer Service Superstars.

MikeMpls Apr 30, 2009 12:50 pm

^ definitely a step in the right direction

BamaVol Apr 30, 2009 1:10 pm

Will they be converting the ones in teal coats at ATL?

GUWonder Apr 30, 2009 1:31 pm

Definitely an improvement and needed way more often, especially at hubs. ^^ I just hope that DL management doesn't do the usual and cripple their ability to do right by the customer even where that may involve one of those "waivers or favors" which DL management is notorious for hating.

SchmutzigMSP Apr 30, 2009 1:34 pm

The redcoats are coming? Oh, no! It's the American Revolution all over again!

:eek: :D

FlyAO2 Apr 30, 2009 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by WBurcham (Post 11672001)

They were the actors in those 80s commercials with the jingles - "Delta....we love to fly and it shows." Wait, did they also have a real job ?

Robert Leach Apr 30, 2009 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by slappy (Post 11672194)
IIRC, they were the people to turn to if problems arose with your itinerary or flight. Akin to Customer Service Superstars.

And they were more plentiful than the "Supervisor" personnel who wore blue coats (and I think still do). The Red Coats were essentially relatively available, relatively responsive, relatively empowered, higher-level pseudo-management types who could cut through the clutter, engage the cerebrum, and deal with problems.

They could also serve as a spare set of hands when a flight was late or overbooked, to help the gate agent get things done more efficiently.

cdh2585 Apr 30, 2009 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by FlyAO2 (Post 11672586)
They were the actors in those 80s commercials with the jingles - "Delta....we love to fly and it shows." Wait, did they also have a real job ?

Those were awesome commercials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k4v3...eature=related

FlyAO2 Apr 30, 2009 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by cdh2585 (Post 11673177)

My how the times have changed:

1) That lockheed is long gone
2) They actually waited for a passenger
3) The stewardesses (yes, that's what they were called) were decent looking
4) That girl is probably 30 now
5) Her parents didn't have to spend $150 to send her as an UM
6) Her grandparents were able to get through security and meet her at the gate