Search

Delta PTV questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2009, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Arrow Delta PTV questions

Hi all,

I have a BOS-SLC-HNL itinerary coming up in June (744 on way back), and (luckily) both flights will have PTV's, as this is the first time I will fly on a DL plane with PTV's (as I flew on Song before and LX, never DL mainline). I did a search on both here and DL website, and neither of them helped. So just got a couple questions on the system:

1. What are the charges for everything? Does one cost cover everything or do you have to pay for each individual thing?

2. Do you have to pay for PTV use by credit card or can you pay cash to the FA?

3. DL will seriously charge on the 6hr 40m 763 flight from SLC to HNL? I would imagine they would have a certain length of flight where they won't charge for PTV, as I doubt they do on 18 hrs. BOM-ATL...

4. How's the reliability of the system? How often does it break down, and when it does, are you screwed for the flight with no IFE?

5. How does the PTV work for the bulkhead rows? I'd think it would be on the wall ahead, but what about on the 757 where the wall is ~4 feet away? Is it in the armrest like BE?

Thanks for all the help!
Old Apr 27, 2009, 6:50 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

You are an inquisitive young man.

1. Live TV (over mainland), CD music, Dl radio, some games, and flight tracker are free. Video on demand and movies are, I believe, $5.

2. Either one - swipe cc or give FA cash.

3. Seriously.

4. IME, it's inop about 10 percent of the time. You can ask the FA to reset your unit or row, but if that doesn't work, yep, no IFE for the entire flight (assuming it is full and you can't move). However, DL will often compensate you if you complain, usually with miles.

5. In the armrest.

Last edited by jbatl; Apr 27, 2009 at 6:52 pm
Old Apr 27, 2009, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone
5. How does the PTV work for the bulkhead rows? I'd think it would be on the wall ahead, but what about on the 757 where the wall is ~4 feet away? Is it in the armrest like BE?

Thanks for all the help!
It's on the bulkhead on the 767-300 Domestics. Armrests on the 757s. I think it's on the bulkhead on the 737-800s, but not 100% sure (haven't made it past Row 4 on a 737-800 with PTVs yet...)
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Be careful with the 738s and 752s not all of them are PTV equipped. Even if your flight lists as having them at the moment, actual equipment can change (and frequently does) up until the day of departure.

Remember to bring headphones if you are sitting in Y unless you want to pay for them.

In addition to films for $5 each, HBO specials are also available for I think $3 each. As mentioned earlier, you will have to pay in Y (but not in F).
Old May 19, 2009, 11:55 am

Are all movies and HBO programming free on international flights in coach?
Old May 19, 2009, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta Air Lines
I have a BOS-SLC-HNL itinerary coming up in June (744 on way back), and (luckily) both flights will have PTV's, as this is the first time I will fly on a DL plane with PTV's (as I flew on Song before and LX, never DL mainline).
What class of service are you flying in? If you're in coach and expecting a PTV on a NW/DL 747-400, you'll be disappointed since there are none. NW/DL 747-400s only have AVOD in business class.
Old May 19, 2009, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by gaschatt
Are all movies and HBO programming free on international flights in coach?
Yes.
Old May 19, 2009, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862
I think it's on the bulkhead on the 737-800s, but not 100% sure.
737 PTVs are on the bulkhead.
Old May 19, 2009, 3:08 pm

Speaking of PTVs, I noticed on my NRT-ATL flight on 5/16 (DL800), the AVOD system in "BusinessElite" had been updated with the current Delta branding. The only NWA logos to be had were on the silverware. I snapped a quick photo of the interface (essentially identical to the previous NW interface):

This was on a 747-400 operated by a Northwest crew.
Old May 20, 2009, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by N301DQ
What class of service are you flying in? If you're in coach and expecting a PTV on a NW/DL 747-400, you'll be disappointed since there are none. NW/DL 747-400s only have AVOD in business class.
I believe the OP means his 2 flights on the outbound to HNL (BOS-SLC-HNL).
Old May 20, 2009, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
On DL flights that have wi-fi, are you allowed to make Skype calls?

I just got an ad from Virgin America saying that it now has wi-fi on every flight and for every seat and mentioning that Oprah will be making the first Skype video call to a plane.

I dread the thought of being on a flight with a hundred or so people screaming into their microphones.
Old May 20, 2009, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Dovster
On DL flights that have wi-fi, are you allowed to make Skype calls?

I just got an ad from Virgin America saying that it now has wi-fi on every flight and for every seat and mentioning that Oprah will be making the first Skype video call to a plane.

I dread the thought of being on a flight with a hundred or so people screaming into their microphones.
+1

I heard AA put some system in place that blocked VOIPI wonder if DL has done/will do the same?
Old May 20, 2009, 9:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM 1MM™, Alaska MVPG75K, Marriott LTTE, United SE, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by SamOF
I heard AA put some system in place that blocked VOIPI wonder if DL has done/will do the same?
I am willing to bet they have.

Onboard Wi-Fi Access FAQs

Originally Posted by delta.com
Can I use Gogo to place a call with my cellular or VoIP phone?
Using cellular network services (voice or data) during the flight is not currently allowed by the FCC. But you can email, IM, and text, so you don't have to wait until you're on the ground to keep in touch. VoIP services are also currently prohibited.
Old May 22, 2009, 4:02 pm

Programs: Korean Air, Lufthansa M&M, SPG ,United Mileage Plus
NW A320's

I have a flight upcoming in December (yes a long ways off stilll, however)

I was wondering, what is the timeline for installation of PTV's on the A320's?

My outbound leg is NW411/DL3583 MSP-CUN on 26 dec. and return leg on DL4194/NW412 on 10-jan.-2010.

Fyi, I'll be in First/Business I also have a tag flight STC-MSP-STC... wonderful Saab 340's and a QUICK flight from STC to MSP last time i flew STC-MSP the total time we were in the air was only about 20 minutes... its 62 miles
Old May 22, 2009, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I have a BOS-SLC-HNL itinerary coming up in June (744 on way back)
The 747-400 is an old Northwest plane, which all they did was have it repainted... I might be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that they didn't retrofit any of them with PTV's throughout Y yet, and it still has the antiquated RGB projector and CRT drop-down televisions in coach. Unless you're in WBC, you probably won't like it one bit. I try to gravitate to their A330's whenever possible when traveling coach (which is sadly all the time).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.