Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refund procedures on refundable tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Refund procedures on refundable tickets?

I goofed and got a refundable ticket when cashing out my ThankYou points (credit card program) before they got devalued.

I got wildly varying answers from different Delta representatives, so I am hoping someone who has experience with Delta refund procedures can let me know:

If you have a fully refundable business class ticket worth $1800 and you change it to a economy class ticket (different itinerary) worth $400, does the $1400 overage
a) *automatically* get refunded back to the credit card, or
b) stay as a credit on your account that can be used towards other flights

If Delta's computers automatically process the refund to the credit card, I will just splurge on a very expensive first class ticket. If not, well, I can stretch the ticket over 4 or 5 trips.

Anyone had experience with what Delta does in this sort of situation?

Is it ok to change the itinerary/ticket online, or better to do it via phone reservations?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by slc39
I goofed and got a refundable ticket when cashing out my ThankYou points (credit card program) before they got devalued.

I got wildly varying answers from different Delta representatives, so I am hoping someone who has experience with Delta refund procedures can let me know:

If you have a fully refundable business class ticket worth $1800 and you change it to a economy class ticket (different itinerary) worth $400, does the $1400 overage
a) *automatically* get refunded back to the credit card, or
b) stay as a credit on your account that can be used towards other flights

If Delta's computers automatically process the refund to the credit card, I will just splurge on a very expensive first class ticket. If not, well, I can stretch the ticket over 4 or 5 trips.

Anyone had experience with what Delta does in this sort of situation?

Is it ok to change the itinerary/ticket online, or better to do it via phone reservations?

Thanks in advance!
When I've bought a fully refundable and wanted a refund, I was given an option. I don't remember why I wanted the voucher instead of refund to my CC, but DL obliged and gave me the voucher. This is best handled on the phone to make sure there are no errors.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for the advice.

I think it depends on the phone rep's knowledge. I got someone who was willing to do it after some research.

Basically, I had to emphasize that I wanted a voucher.

They canceled the plane ticket, gave me a voucher, and used the voucher to buy me a new plane ticket. The voucher expires in April next year.

I got charged $20 for a reservation fee, and $50 for canceling the original ticket (they charge a fee when the reservation is booked by a travel agency such as Expedia).

What's weird is that I read somewhere that the voucher expires 1 year from the day I bought the original ticket (3/2/09). But what I got was a voucher that expired 4/2/09. Phone rep's typo? Maybe, but I'll happily take the one month extension.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 8:04 pm

I was recently burned. I had a refundable ticket and when I bought a cheaper nonrefundable ticket online the difference automatically went back to the original credit card that I no longer had. So now I have to wait for my CC to cut me a check.

Is it permissible to request a refund of a refundable ticket as a voucher or ecredit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.