Wiki Posts
Search

Does Checking In Affect Chances for an Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2009, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Platinum
Does Checking In Affect Chances for an Upgrade

I'm sure this is covered somewhere, but I couldn't find it through a search. My apologies if this is duplicative.

I have a flight this evening, so I'm within my upgrade window. My upgrade status still shows "Requested," so I haven't been moved to the wait list yet. There are still 5 available F seats on the flight.

If I check-in online, will that affect my chances of getting an upgrade? I assume I can always just print a new boarding pass if I do get upgraded. But I want to make sure I am not taking myself out of consideration by checking in.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 27, 2009, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
No...
Old Mar 27, 2009, 9:42 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
In my experience yes. I had an issue where they cleared some auto upgrades before the flight went to airport control (3 hours out). I didn't get upgraded because I was checked in and it somehow prevented the system from upgrading me. My coworker who was GM (I'm PM) got upgraded automatically because he hadn't checked in.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:03 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Might be a glitch but I would say "yes" to that, too.

A GA explained the system to me for OpUps:

- they wait until the last second to gain an overview of the potential no-shows
- anyone already checked-in is assigned and confirmed by the system at this point (so all is set-up properly and okay)
- when Y runs over full, any of the *NOT YET CHECKED-IN* pax has a chance to receive a *MANUAL* OpUp
- there seems to be (at least at my airport) no GA going back to the plane to move pax around

For complimentary upgrades:

- any Medallion who is checked-in (claimed his confirmed seat) *and* had boarded (claimed and took his confirmed seat) is taken out of the automatic list
- the GA would be required to walk back to the plane, moving a pax if a FC seats clears
- considering the fact that they are super-busy accomodation stand-bys, filling out paper work, etc ... changes usually grow slim that this is happening
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:22 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
If you are talking about checking-in in advance, on line, pda, via phone, etc, I make certain to do so prior to departing to the airport or even en-route. Once you are checked in, you can dash to the gate as long as the door to the aircraft is open. IIRC, you may have issues checking in shortly prior to departure (20-30 min) - I can't remember which. If the flight is full, they may give away your seat and deny you boarding.

As for screwing up the upgrade routine, perhaps this was (maybe still is) a problem but I have not experienced that recently. I am 100% this year.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:45 am
c_d

Originally Posted by avflyer
If you are talking about checking-in in advance, on line, pda, via phone, etc, I make certain to do so prior to departing to the airport or even en-route. Once you are checked in, you can dash to the gate as long as the door to the aircraft is open. IIRC, you may have issues checking in shortly prior to departure (20-30 min) - I can't remember which. If the flight is full, they may give away your seat and deny you boarding.

As for screwing up the upgrade routine, perhaps this was (maybe still is) a problem but I have not experienced that recently. I am 100% this year.
Yes, i am speaking of the 24hr advance check-in. I now switched to checking-in the latest legally possible - as you are completely right about the time constraints!

I experienced two of the "hick-ups" recently (last week). One - totally awesome - OpUp on a TATL leg (thank you Delta, much appreciated!)

And one - that one sucked - quite negative. In ATL, I was first on the UG list (Horray!) with a couple of open FC seats. However, just before boarding started, a bunch of FA and pilots jumped the queue and - of course - took all available seats. Boom, open FC down to 0. However, one seat was unclaimed when the door shut but ... was left empty.

Anyway, I was still very happy and grateful about the TATL leg!
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Originally Posted by c_d
Yes, i am speaking of the 24hr advance check-in. I now switched to checking-in the latest legally possible - as you are completely right about the time constraints!

I experienced two of the "hick-ups" recently (last week). One - totally awesome - OpUp on a TATL leg (thank you Delta, much appreciated!)

And one - that one sucked - quite negative. In ATL, I was first on the UG list (Horray!) with a couple of open FC seats. However, just before boarding started, a bunch of FA and pilots jumped the queue and - of course - took all available seats. Boom, open FC down to 0. However, one seat was unclaimed when the door shut but ... was left empty.

It does not affect your upgrade chances.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 11:10 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
Originally Posted by c_d

Unless I am wrong, for TATL, you need to check in at the airport anyway so there is little one can do in advance.

As for when it gets cut close - I have seen/experienced both sides. On a flight out of Midway to NY last spring, my local rep and I got stuck in horrible traffic and then made things worse by trying to take short cuts. I got to the airport with 4 minutes to make my flight that was departing on time. I had already checked in that morning. I ran to the check-in counter and the folks there were great - they called the gate, told them I was on my way. Wonderfully quick security, run to the gate, still had my FC seat, took my jacket, handed me a drink as the door closed and off we went - on time might I add. Had I not checked in earlier that day - it would have been over for me.

On a recent departure out of JFK, I noticed a guy who did not checkin earlier that day. He got to the airport with what seemed like 20 min time before his flight only to find out that it was too late to checkin - neither the kiosk or the agents could print him a boarding pass - the system locked him out. I don't know if the flight was full or not but boy was he was pissed.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 11:20 am
c_d

No, you can check-in online, even for most TATL. I agree with you mostly - that's why I said above "I would say" and not "it's definately that way". It's really hard to tell since we dont know the concrete procedures and their implementation by the individual gate personell.

I *feel* like checking-in late & boarding late (but minding the blacl-out times!) helps. But, I am always more then happy to be corrected by the FT folks
Old Mar 27, 2009, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by c_d
I *feel* like checking-in late & boarding late (but minding the blacl-out times!) helps. But, I am always more then happy to be corrected by the FT folks
Disadvantages of checking-in late:
-During aircraft substitutions (downgrade to aircraft with less seats), IDB may be determined by check-in time.
-During aircraft weight & balance issues, the first to be bumped off the planes are the last ones that checked-in.
-Chance that upgrade list is cleared at gate before checked-in.

Disadvantage of boarding late:
-Lack of overhead storage space
-Chance of missing flight if plane pushes back a few minutes early.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by c_d
Boom, open FC down to 0. However, one seat was unclaimed when the door shut but ... was left empty.
First, I did not know that pilots and FA would have priority on the upgrade list But most importantly, if 1 seat was left empty, why didn't you ask a FA inside the plane to move you up there since you were first on the list?
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vgb2001
First, I did not know that pilots and FA would have priority on the upgrade list
They don't
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
But most importantly, if 1 seat was left empty, why didn't you ask a FA inside the plane to move you up there since you were first on the list?
Upgrading people isn't what FAs do: it's the job of the gate agent.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Upgrading people isn't what FAs do: it's the job of the gate agent.
I agree. However, if asked kindly and not at a moment where FA are busy with their actual assignement, they would gladly accomodate you.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I agree. However, if asked kindly and not at a moment where FA are busy with their actual assignement, they would gladly accomodate you.
I do not believe they have the ability to do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.