Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club/CRC Wish List

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by jzoz01
Ditch the bartenders. The World club layout of self serve is much better.
In ATL the law says you must have bartenders. No self serve. Same at RDU and BNA. So some of that is "driven" by outside forces. (Both RDU and BNA used to be self serve and then the "goverment" got involved LOL!)

Now you could set up self serve soft drinks and water etc.. but no booze in lots of locations!
Old Mar 12, 2009, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
In ATL the law says you must have bartenders. No self serve. Same at RDU and BNA. So some of that is "driven" by outside forces. (Both RDU and BNA used to be self serve and then the "goverment" got involved LOL!)

Now you could set up self serve soft drinks and water etc.. but no booze in lots of locations!
The vast majority of WCs are self-serve (I believe only two). Going bartenderless would eliminate the need to hire at WC locations, and would likely allow a good deal of the CRCs to go bartenderless.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
The vast majority of WCs are self-serve (I believe only two). Going bartenderless would eliminate the need to hire at WC locations, and would likely allow a good deal of the CRCs to go bartenderless.
I know the SEA WC has the self-serve soft-drinks/juices, etc., but has someone standing by the drinks area that can go into a back room and get you the alcoholic beverage of your choice.

As for wants at the CRC:
- NW's food options. I like my Pepperidge Farm crackers and chocolate chip cookies.
- Truly free Wi-Fi. I probably have about 10 TMobile cards in my briefcase that I'm meaning to throw out
- I know this might seem a little tacky, but kiosks in the CRC at the hubs. Would be good for the simple requests (change seat assignments, get a new BP after your upgrade has cleared), which would mean shorter lines for the actual agents (who'd still be there for irrops). Would be really convenient for those times where I've misconnected, called SMS from the plane and got my new flight and just need the new BP.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former DL PM, current level: tin
Originally Posted by mersk862
- I know this might seem a little tacky, but kiosks in the CRC at the hubs. Would be good for the simple requests (change seat assignments, get a new BP after your upgrade has cleared), which would mean shorter lines for the actual agents (who'd still be there for irrops). Would be really convenient for those times where I've misconnected, called SMS from the plane and got my new flight and just need the new BP.
I was actually thinking the same thing. There have been times I just wanted to print an itinerary, etc.. Didn't want to wait in line or bother the agent with it. Could be nice to have tucked in a corner somewhere.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES

If local law will not allow it then, it doesn't matter what it would eliminate... it can't be done! Delta/NW etc... have to obey the local liquor laws or risk legal issues.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
If local law will not allow it then, it doesn't matter what it would eliminate... it can't be done! Delta/NW etc... have to obey the local liquor laws or risk legal issues.
Um, my point was that local law DOES allow self-serve booze in many jurisdictions, as evidenced by the fact that NEARLY ALL of NW's clubs are self-serve for booze!

As mersk862 pointed out, SEA is one exception, and I think there's one other. So it's not that NW is flouting local laws, they are obeying them, it's just that more locales than you think allow self-serve booze in private clubs.

So, yes, establishing a no-bartenders-unless-legally-required policy would eliminate the need to hire bartenders for the vast majority of current WCs (plus the need to remodel to fit in a tended bar area), and would likely allow getting rid of bartenders at many of the current CRC locations.

Last edited by clarence5ybr; Mar 12, 2009 at 7:34 pm
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:49 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold75, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Um, my point was that local law DOES allow self-serve booze in many jurisdictions, as evidenced by the fact that NEARLY ALL of NW's clubs are self-serve for booze!

As mersk862 pointed out, SEA is one exception, and I think there's one other. So it's not that NW is flouting local laws, they are obeying them, it's just that more locales than you think allow self-serve booze in private clubs.

So, yes, establishing a no-bartenders-unless-legally-required policy would eliminate the need to hire bartenders for the vast majority of current WCs (plus the need to remodel to fit in a tended bar area), and would likely allow getting rid of bartenders at many of the current CRC locations.
PDX is the other exception to self serve. They also have self serve soft drinks.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by seacruiser
Keep the bartenders.
Originally Posted by jzoz01
Ditch the bartenders. The World club layout of self serve is much better.
Therein lies a big part of the problem...there isn't anything they can do to please everyone.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
- NW's food options. Cheese & crackers, chocolate chip cookies, snack mix, carrots, celery, whole fruit, espresso and in the morning bagels/muffins, yoghurt, doughnuts, etc.

- Clean, modern restrooms with real amenities: mouthwash, lotion, deoderent, etc.

- Power everywhere

- NRT, Air France or KLM style remodel to the older clubs.

- Fireplaces (like DTW)

I hear I'm already getting my wish of no-bartenders
Old Mar 12, 2009, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I hear I'm already getting my wish of no-bartenders
Honestly, no bartenders makes more sense from an economic standpoint. The labor side has already been mentioned. It would also cost a good chunk of money to reconfigure several NW WCs to put an actual bar in there. While I haven't been to many WCs that will be around post-merger (I've been to all of them at MEM, MSP and DTW; I know BOS is closing this month and LGA will most likely close as well, and SEA has been discussed already...), there just isn't a whole lot of room to put a bar in due to the design of these lounges without doing a decent bit of reconfiguring. Thus, it becomes is it worth Delta to spend a good chunk of money on refitting these lounges?

At the airports that need to have a bartender, keep the bartenders (ATL anyone?). At the other airports, it is probably a bit easier to make them self-service (don't really need to remodel that much).
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, Delta 1MM/DM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
1. AC Outlets: More of them and in more "sensible" places (none of this under-the-desk junk [a'la ATL A Center])

2. Better in-club food choices. (While some of the stuff in the former BE lounges is nice... I really appreciate the breadth of choices in the NW and CO clubs I've been in.)

3. Bartenders: I'm kind of divided on this one... I rather like having a real bartender... I'd think self-serve would tend to limit drink choices... plus the bartender adds class... Maybe keep the bartenders for the booze and provide self-serve for non-alcoholic?

4. Wi-Fi: Free, please!

5. More room! Honestly, the B10 (?) CRC is way too tiny for the traffic it gets!
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:25 am

I don't understand the argument that bartenders add class.

I don't think there's anything particularly classy about having to wait in line to get a non-alcoholic drink (would be alleviated if they put in additional drink stations elsewhere) or about having a tip jar out on the counter. Regardless of whether or not you have to tip, I don't even want to have to make the calculation of did I ask for a complex enough of a drink, or did they provide some service that was above and beyond, etc. Heck, most of the time I just want a beer, and I can pour that myself.

If bartenders are kept, the bars need to be expanded/additional tenders added, separate non-alcoholic drink stations introduced, and tip jars eliminated. That is, if the goal is to be "classy".

Just my two cents.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
High end toilet paper. There's no worse way to end a 5+ hr MR than to go wipe your nether regions with sand paper. Perhaps a bidet rental (um, not really).
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
I don't understand the argument that bartenders add class.

I don't think there's anything particularly classy about having to wait in line to get a non-alcoholic drink (would be alleviated if they put in additional drink stations elsewhere) or about having a tip jar out on the counter. Regardless of whether or not you have to tip, I don't even want to have to make the calculation of did I ask for a complex enough of a drink, or did they provide some service that was above and beyond, etc. Heck, most of the time I just want a beer, and I can pour that myself.

If bartenders are kept, the bars need to be expanded/additional tenders added, separate non-alcoholic drink stations introduced, and tip jars eliminated. That is, if the goal is to be "classy".

Just my two cents.
The bartenders are not an asset. Keep them only in those places where local laws require it. And in those places where bartenders are required to serve alcohol, put in self-service facilities for all non-alcoholic drinks.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
[QUOTE=seacruiser;11403936]
Ditch the bartenders. The World club layout of self serve is much better./QUOTE]

The bartenders add class.

Most folks I know don't know how to mix a proper classic cocktail.
Neither do most bartenders!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.