Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a prize for being first on the plane?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:43 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
Originally Posted by LarryATL
Your sitting in your aisle seat (F or Y, happens in both, but it's worse in Y). And another 100-150 people walk down the aisle past you to get to their seats. Many of them have laptop bags, large purses, whatever, strung over their shoulders. And you proceed to get whacked in the shoulder or head with these strung-over-the-shoulder items, repeatedly, as the people walk by. So much so that you just give in and lean over to the window to avoid the next head-whack.

Oh and of course, no apologies, no excuse me, no nothing. Sigh......

Larry
Amen! Not only do you get whacked in the head, those with rollerboards never seem to pull them straight down the aisle - and its much easier to pull harder when it gets stuck.

The other thing that annoys me are people who don't put their carryons above their own seats but in the first bin once they enter the cabin.

But my most favorite are the "seat squatters" who sit in the seat they really wanted but didn't get and think they can guilt me into giving up my assigned seat.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by brazzleman
Amen! Not only do you get whacked in the head, those with rollerboards never seem to pull them straight down the aisle - and its much easier to pull harder when it gets stuck.
Try wearing a skirt, sitting in the bulkhead row, and have someone drag and try and pull it down the aisle with their rollerboard.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 4:12 am

Programs: DL PM, LY Silver
Originally Posted by brazzleman
Originally Posted by exbayern
Try wearing a skirt, sitting in the bulkhead row, and have someone drag and try and pull it down the aisle with their rollerboard.
What is "it"? I don't understand.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:19 am

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by GMill
What is "it"? I don't understand.
The skirt.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 9:17 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by exbayern
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by canndlewic
You didn't know the first 5 to board get a 5k mileage bonus?
This appears to be a targeted bonus for DL elites only. Just another way they are fleecing the loyal NW customers.

I didn't even get this bonus a couple weeks ago when I was #2 to board. Since there were only 3 pax total on the ERJ, boarding was quite orderly, with no need for zones or breezeway.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:45 am

Talking First and Second Prize for rushing onto the plane

I know what the prize for being the first two on the plane is . . .

you both get grabbed and strapped onto the wings outside the plane
and used for balance . . . (or scare-crows to keep the ducks away...)
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
Great thread

This is a great thread!!

Boarding mahem... it is really gotten out of control. Enough said.

"Crowd da gate, I make you late!" - That one is priceless!!! Record a GA version of Terry Tate and display that video on the GIDS 30 mins prior to boarding!

Couldn't agree more about people knocking you out with the bags, etc. over their shoulders - I have been hit the shoulder, head, you name it. And yes... that didn't feel good.

And add in... repeatably slamming that overhead bin that it stuffed way beyond it's capacity...And then later dropping bags and other items from the overhead bins on the heads of those below.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
Originally Posted by SkyBuck
This appears to be a targeted bonus for DL elites only. Just another way they are fleecing the loyal NW customers.

I didn't even get this bonus a couple weeks ago when I was #2 to board. Since there were only 3 pax total on the ERJ, boarding was quite orderly, with no need for zones or breezeway.
I dare someone to email DL customer service complaining that they didn't get their bonus miles for being first on board!

What canned response would we get back?

Last edited by brazzleman; Feb 5, 2009 at 7:26 pm Reason: misspelling
Old Mar 29, 2009, 5:25 pm

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Being first..

They do it for the following reasons:
1. To get to their upgraded business class seat, get a drink and look down on the masses that tread past them to economy class at the back of the cabin.
2. To squeeze their 60lb luggage into the overhead bin before others get to it.
3. To find the Airline magazine with the crossword puzzle still unworked.
4. To announce over their cell phones to their office/home that they have boarded the plane.
5. To find the best seat regardless of whether it is theirs so that they can ask the legit occupant to switch.
6. To use the toilet. They don't like airport facilities.
7. To buffer against the next seat passenger by cushioning using pillows and blankets.
8. To show they are faster than handicaped, old, and children.
9. They believe that FAs will be impressed by their agility.
10. They really believe that they will arrive at the destination faster.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Well it may start to BACKFIRE>

The idiots that run our SECURITY have decided to restart "boarding area screen" (Once again an admission that the TSA does a LOUSY job of security, but that's a different thread")

Based on the one flight I have seen it on. Early boarders get the "worm" Or "sir please step over here" So, fight to get in front and get searched.... LOL!
Old Mar 29, 2009, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
if i am not mistaken, the sexy voice on the LCD tvs in the hubs is also adding to the confusion. i was in F last time I flew out of JFK so i can't recall for certain, but i do think that the pre-recorded instructions say that breezeway boarding can be done at your leisure. it doesnt really make the "after zone 4" distinction...
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:30 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
So many pet peeves.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 4:29 am

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
Originally Posted by thepla
I've noticed the jerks that are first in line are the ones that have two bags and put both in the overhead bin.
While I agree with CarolDisney1 and would never block deplaning pax, when I'm in a bulkhead F seat, I do everything I can to get to the head of the line to stow both my bags in the overhead as I am required to do.

So, thepla, please take into consideration that the "jerk" at the head of the line might be there because he's in a bulkhead.

That being said, I agree that it otherwise seems rather silly to be crouched in the starting blocks to board.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 4:34 am

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Originally Posted by SeaClay007
While I agree with CarolDisney1 and would never block deplaning pax, when I'm in a bulkhead F seat, I do everything I can to get to the head of the line to stow both my bags in the overhead as I am required to do.

So, thepla, please take into consideration that the "jerk" at the head of the line might be there because he's in a bulkhead.
I'm the same way. I'm almost always in a bulkhead and like to not get stuck with my carry-on being three rows behind me. I never block the gate and I'm not the guy who stands at the scanner 15 minutes before boarding is even called. I do my best to be the first three or so to board just so I can get my bag in (and get a drink fast!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.