Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a prize for being first on the plane?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by crazygrow
One problem with that is if you are traveling with companions on a separate itinerary (for example, when my family of six traveled this summer, we were on three different itineraries...).
Well if people haven't gone through the trouble of "linking" their reservations to stay as a group, especially important for irrops, then they shouldn't expect to board together. If it is important for them to board together as a group they can either wait and board with the person with the lowest zone number, OR talk to a gate agent ahead of time to the itins linked and new boarding passes printed.

It could even be argued that unless a group is actually ON the same itinerary, they shouldn't be able to board together as a group with the highest rated/zoned member. I believe this is the case for extra baggage fees and the like...unless you share an itin with a medallion, you have to pay the normal fees even if traveling on the same plane with a member "of your group" that is a medallion
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:58 pm

Programs: US Plat, DL Gold, WN when needed, PC Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
Over at US, they board the F class separate from the rest of zone 1 on their mainline flights (most of the time). It usually works pretty well, but they tend to only have 12 seats in F. With 18 seats and up in F, and with many more Medallions in Zone 1 and 2, wouldn't it make sense for DL to split them up?

I realize the GA's main job is to board the plane so it can depart on time, but would good does it do to just have people jockeying for position, when they are just going to wind up standing on the jetway anyway? Break it up into F, rest of Zone 1, Zone 2, etc.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
CarolDisney1, thank you for this fantastic post.

My question is what goes through the heads of the people in the Breezeway line that makes them think this is acceptable? How do they rationalize that they've been assigned to Zone 2 or Zone 3, but DL still intends for them to board before that? What is the explanation they fool themselves with that makes them think that DL would bother with three zones for elites if DL intended for all the elites to board in Zone 1?

And to clarify, when I don't get an UG I'm not in Zone 1. Isn't Zone 1 reserved for FC only, plus the first row in C? Are other PMs always in Zone1 even without being in F? I'm having trouble understanding how there could really be 70 with Zone 1 boarding passes.

Once again, this points to how horribly DL trains and implements policies.

Would it be wrong to record people cluster flicking the boarding process and posting the video on YouTube?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:14 pm

Starting in a few weeks, the left-over starting blocks from the '96 Olympics track and field events will be taken out of storage and installed at various gates. This will insure that the truly dedicated can get solid footing and really zip into the jetway the instant the GA opens their mouth to announce boarding.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:15 pm

Well, I was drawn to the Delta forum for some unknown reason tonight, only to find a thread started by one of my favourite cranky non-Germans!

We have the same issues over at the UA forum, complete with photos - in fact, many believe that 1Ks are the worst of the gate lice.

There is a UA GA at ORD who does an amazing job at controlling boarding; he begins his preboarding announcements about 10 minutes beforehand, and his speech is so well done that he deters the idiots without making them feel entirely stupid. He 'welcomes' families with small children to board with zone 2, and enforces that. Every time I board with him I take a moment to thank him, and United has received a number of GTEMs from me.

Personally, I prefer the German method of boarding - no zones, he/she who pushes hardest and can pop the person in front of them through the turnstyle quickest wins!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by rwsatl
I read this 10 minutes ago and have just now stopped laughing. How true!
Last December I noted that TSA was occasionally implementing the secondary at-the-gate screening (airports like SNA and PHL).

So... the prize, in those cases, for trying to be first to board, is to get tagged by the TSA let's-always-get-the-first-one-down-the-jetway "random" selection process.

FT'ers are no doubt smart enough to wait until all the TSA agents have some one in tow before attempting to board.

Imagine who else might be bright enough to figure this out...
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:55 pm

Four words: Terry Tate, Office Linebacker

Problem solved.

For those unfamiliar: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&oq=terry+tate
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:11 am

most of the time i am easily annoyed by passenger antics during boarding, but this past weekend at DCA i heard a GA for the first time i can remember publicly reprimanding people for boarding before their zone was called and it felt a bit harsh. she said in a lethargic, annoyed, and very loud voice "ZONE 1 ONLY. ZONE OOOONNE. YOU ARE ZONE .. SEVEN" etc.

it just seems like most people have such a hard time hitting what i would consider the optimal middle ground of enforcement with a positive attitude. yea they deal with it all day, but it's a customer service job like any other. watching people get publicly humiliated sucks when they don't understand what's going on (language barrier, etc). but i did enjoy the one guy who hustled up in the breezeway lane out of nowhere when there was no line and got turned away in the same manner because it was still zone 1 time. that guy i don't feel sympathy for. nor the guy with the ipod preventing him from hearing the zone numbers yet trying to board anyway.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:26 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
I am sorry but DL Frequent Flyers are setting a new record for RUDENESS! Makes me long for SW to come to ATL. At least thier boarding is orderly!
Let's not get crazy here.

And Delta. DO SOMETHING! It's time to start enforcing some of your "rules" or just quit having them. If you say Zone 1 then don't let those 40 people in zones 2 and 3 board. Maybe if they knew they weren't getting away with it they would stop? If not, let's just go with the AirFrance model. Everyone shove on at once.....
That's the entire issue here. If DL doesn't develop an exact and precise process to use the Breezeway, this will never get fixed.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:44 am

People are basically idiots.

Really nothing more complicated than that.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Send him to Tokyo -- first one through the gate gets secondary.
Exactly! (Hong Kong as well sometimes).

I love seeing the rush for the Business class boarding in Tokyo. I sit back and count off 8 (the number of Pax it takes to occupy the armed guards in the Jetway) and then head down. Inevitably I see the guy who was lined up to board first rushing onto the plane at the end of boarding with cloths hanging out of his half zipped roll-on-board. I showed this trick to a colleague last month in NRT and he was amazed...not about the fact that the first through were "selected" for secondary, but the fact that I am such a travel geek that I knew this.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by SouthsideJAX
Over at US, they board the F class separate from the rest of zone 1 on their mainline flights (most of the time). It usually works pretty well, but they tend to only have 12 seats in F. With 18 seats and up in F, and with many more Medallions in Zone 1 and 2, wouldn't it make sense for DL to split them up?

I realize the GA's main job is to board the plane so it can depart on time, but would good does it do to just have people jockeying for position, when they are just going to wind up standing on the jetway anyway? Break it up into F, rest of Zone 1, Zone 2, etc.
I thought Zone 1 was only F and 2/3 were elites based upon seating location? I agree that 2 should be PMs and GMS and 3 should be FOs. Perhaps there could be a manual override to allow the GA some discresion in allowing families to board together. It would keep the zone poachers out though.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl

Would it be wrong to record people cluster flicking the boarding process and posting the video on YouTube?
DL announces very clearly that they will start with boarding zone 1 and everyone crowds the scanner. How is this a DL training problem? I don't think that turning people away will solve this problem. IMO, there are just too many dense people along with the non-frequent DL flyers that this will continue unless the zone numbers are more clearly marked (read: larger prominent font) on the BP.

Post what you want to youtube, but recoginize that you are posting a complaint about DL that is really about its frequent flyers (buyers).

Last edited by El Boocho; Feb 3, 2009 at 7:06 am
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:15 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by CJKatl
CarolDisney1, thank you for this fantastic post.

My question is what goes through the heads of the people in the Breezeway line that makes them think this is acceptable? How do they rationalize that they've been assigned to Zone 2 or Zone 3, but DL still intends for them to board before that? What is the explanation they fool themselves with that makes them think that DL would bother with three zones for elites if DL intended for all the elites to board in Zone 1?

And to clarify, when I don't get an UG I'm not in Zone 1. Isn't Zone 1 reserved for FC only, plus the first row in C? Are other PMs always in Zone1 even without being in F? I'm having trouble understanding how there could really be 70 with Zone 1 boarding passes.

So in one paragraph the passenger is to blame and in another it is DL's implementation that is the problem. I will tell you what is "going through the heads of...". They hear "throughout the boarding process" which means from the beginning to the end. Perhaps they think zone numbers are irrelevant if they are a candidate for Breezeway.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:17 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
I don't see why this isn't a problem boarding a packed D train from the Bronx to Manhattan in the morning, but is at the airport. My theory is that if you pull that crap on the subway, someone is going to call you on it to your face, but at the airport nobody speaks up.

So, I've started just telling people to their face that they're being rude a-holes.

The last time I said so was a week ago to a woman with four 15-17 year old girls who pushed through everyone waiting patiently. My wife got really angry at me for using foul language in front of teenage girls. I tried to explain to her that it must be OK since the entire social contract is apparently discarded as soon as the GA even looks at the mic to begin the boarding process. I don't win these arguments with her as a matter of course, so I apologized to my wife, but deep inside I was glad they know that I think they're a-holes. When they got pulled aside since their cabin pet wasn't on their BP and couldn't board and I said "Booyah! That's karma *****!" as I boarded and I got in trouble with Mrs. seoulmanjr again, but it was definitely worth it. I explained to the wife that when they're still in an easily-embarrassed-in-public developmental age, it's prime time to try to save them from what they're becoming. All she said was that I'm underdeveloped, not easily enough embarrassed, and we really aren't ready to have kids yet. I stand my my D-train approach.

In solidarity,
~Ben~
soulmanjr, or Ben if I may, I am in awe of you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.