Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a prize for being first on the plane?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:51 pm

My Solution - Which Most of You Will Hate

I agree with CarolDisney that boarding is a mess. Here is my solution:

Pay the local high school football players to be the GA's assistants and allow them to review the boarding pass of anyone within 15 feet of the boarding area. Then, allow to board in this order (all while the football players ensure those in a zone not yet called are held back and several lines are open for those of us who sit in a chair until our zone is called).

Zone 1: PAID first class passengers (yes, why you hate this post, but it sure would make my life easier since Zone 1 usually appears to be about 75 people these days )
Zone 2: UPGRADED first class passengers
Zone 3: Platinums
Zone 4: Gold
Zone 5: Silvers
Zone 6-9: Remainder of the herd

Since medallions now typically represent 50%+ of the people on a lot of flights, Zone 2/3 doesn't make sense anymore as currently done. Allowing 60% of the plane to board in two/three zones doesn't make sense. It can't be that hard for the system to detect if the # of medallions on a plane exceeds a certain threshold (say 24 hours before the flight so no one has checked in yet) and then determines whether the current boarding process would work or something more like mine above or something different.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by crazygrow

Zone 1: PAID first class passengers (yes, why you hate this post, but it sure would make my life easier since Zone 1 usually appears to be about 75 people these days )

i was going to suggest the same thing. just had to read thru to see if anyone posted it before me. this make sense to me. instead of just ALL MEDALLIONS, LETS GO! lol
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Getting out

I have more problems with those who try to get out faster.
1. Some of them stand up and open the overhead bin befoe the plane comes to a stop.
2. Whether they have a connecting flight or not, they rush to the front (where they have deposited their luggage) sqeezing between people (You see some of them later in the restroom!).
3. Drop bags/laptop on someone else's shoulder in their hurry.
4. The moment the plane lands, they call by cell phone, their pickup person, limo, office, home.
5. Or have telepathic friends who know the moment the plane lands who call them on their cell phones. A dozen phones ring with ring tones from traditional to stupid.
6. I have seen people (on International travel) walking away with Airline pillows, blankets, and other items. When they go through the first class, they are also on the look out for items that some passengers don't care to take with them. They often annoy first class/business class people who claim their right to deembark first. I think that some FA enjoy letting economy class passengers freely "mix" with elite class much to the annoyance of the Elite! On the other hand, some of them create a barrier by forming a human fence to shield the elite and let them go first!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
I had a perfect score on upgrades last year, so I always boarded in zone 1. From my perspective, there IS a prize for being first or among the first on the plane -- overhead space. I only ever travel with one carry on, but often it's my roll-aboard. If I wait until most of the folks or even half the folks board, there often is no room for my carryon. When this is the case, it is invariably because somebody from coach has decided to put something of theirs in the first class bins. (There is plently of overhead space in FC on most planes if everyone in FC only stores one carryon, which is usually the case). I don't mind sitting in FC for a while -- it's much better than sitting in the gate area, and I normally get a drink.

I'm not starting an argument on coach pax using first class bins or bathrooms -- both of which have been debated to death here -- but I AM saying that for those of us entitled to board first, there is a significant upside that has nothing to do with ego or being a jerk.

Now, to the extent that the OP's real beef is blocking the deplaning process, I am in wholehearted agreement. No blocking the egress of pax because it will be at least another 15-20 minutes once the last one is off the plane before boarding begins.

As for the D-train, my experience in NY is that people are just as bad at blocking doors for exiting pax as they are at the airport. Almost everyone lets folks off, but there are always one or two people blocking the way, at least a bit. The solution is to put the blocking shoulder down and gently move past/through them!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
My Pet Peeve is when everyone just stops in the middle of the walkway immediately after the gate doors and stares at the GIDS, blocking everyone else. Can't you step to the side and allow those passengers (such as myself) who already know where we're going to get through?!?!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Send him to Tokyo -- first one through the gate gets secondary.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by raehl311
You get to spend the longest time sitting on an airplane.

When I'm not in F, I take pains to be the LAST person on the airplane. No reason to sit on there any longer than I have to. (This assumes I have checked bags and thus no carry-on, which I unfortunately usually do.)

Even when in F, I'll often still just hang at the WC as long as possible. Free drinks either way

Well, actually, at least in the WC you're GUARANTEED free drinks - not so much in F preboarding.
same here...whyt the hell would I want to sit on a metal tube longer than I need to unless it is in SQ F !!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by thepla
As much as I think the DL acquisition is proving that DL just does not care about elite members and will eventually go under this problem is just as rampant in NW world.
Only took 5 posts this time.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:55 pm

Has anyone else noticed that this is a problem at big hub airports, never the small regional ones?

My theory is that when you are a small airport like ITH, ELM, BGM, etc... There is a good chance that you know the other passangers, or will run across them later in town so there is too much social risk to be rude at the boarding process...

To repeat what others have said, I think part of this can be relieved if gate agents did a better job of explaining the boarding process and ENFORCING the rules!

Heck they should even program the boarding pass scanning machines to NOT accept a boarding pass that is for a zone other than what has been called and is displayed in greet at the bottom of the GIDS!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by CVCONDE
You must have been pretty close to the front as well to get your foot runover.

Sadly I wasn't. I was SITTING in the chairs off to the side. I was in the first row of chairs just kind of watching this in awe when the woman plowed over me and the man beside me.....

I genereally stay in the Crown Room until just as boarding begins so I don't see this lovely behavior as much, but today there was not ONE seat in the B25 Crown Room so I went to sit at the gate. Where there were LOTS of seats since everyone was massing for the rush onto the plane LOL!

Now how this means DL does not care about elite members is BEYOND me. It's the elite members who seem to be the ones being rude. Delta is not your mother, it's not Delta's job to teach you to behave right! You were the ones blocking your fellow passengers from getting off the planes. And the best part was it actually happened AFTER the gate agent went down to open the door. Did they think the plane was empty and they would be allowed to race on as soon as she came back up?????

And all 70 of these Medaillion members were NOT in first class. (It had about 24 seats) So why did they all need to RACE on??? I don't get it! As I said I was not upgraded and I had LOTS of room by my seat even after waiting until the RUSH was over. (And the plane was packed by the time it took off and they did have to check luggage for those folks in zone 9)

Oh and if you put your luggage in row 10 and you are sitting in row 34 (behind me in row 33) no it's not good to try to "force your way" up there to "get your luggage" as soon as everyone stands up.... just wait, you will get back to it and that's what you get for being rude and putting your luggage in someone else's space when there was PLENTY of space near you when you sat down before me! If someone steals it, KARMA! (I would not say that if you had placed it there because it was the only spot, but you placed it there because you were too lazy to carry it back to 34!)

Monday mornings in ATL are just a "how not to behave in public" seminar sometimes... LOL! I agree that the problem does tend to be worse in hub airports. I think it actually starts in the parking lot and continues thru security and by the time your native ATL customer hits the gate they have just abandoned all semblance of civility! It's like a mob mentaltiy to get on the plane. Add to that the folks who truly do NOT understand the zone system and it's crazy!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Wirelessly posted (Propel: SAMSUNG-SGH-A767/A767UCHI4 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.4 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.0 configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

Originally Posted by Burj
Has anyone else noticed that this is a problem at big hub airports, never the small regional ones?

My theory is that when you are a small airport like ITH, ELM, BGM, etc... There is a good chance that you know the other passangers, or will run across them later in town so there is too much social risk to be rude at the boarding process...

To repeat what others have said, I think part of this can be relieved if gate agents did a better job of explaining the boarding process and ENFORCING the rules!

Heck they should even program the boarding pass scanning machines to NOT accept a boarding pass that is for a zone other than what has been called and is displayed in greet at the bottom of the GIDS!
Burj, great suggestion about reprogramming the GIDS to only accept BPs in proper zone order. Hope someone at DL hears you.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by cvgflyer2
well put! i dont understand it either. no one leaves until the last person gets on, so what gives? some people like to feel more important than others i guess.
Must have been a NY flight
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by crazygrow

Since medallions now typically represent 50%+ of the people on a lot of flights, Zone 2/3 doesn't make sense anymore as currently done. Allowing 60% of the plane to board in two/three zones doesn't make sense. It can't be that hard for the system to detect if the # of medallions on a plane exceeds a certain threshold (say 24 hours before the flight so no one has checked in yet) and then determines whether the current boarding process would work or something more like mine above or something different.
AA does something like this F/ EXEC Plat & Plat/ Gold then zones. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Wirelessly posted (Propel: SAMSUNG-SGH-A767/A767UCHI4 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.4 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.0 configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

Burj, great suggestion about reprogramming the GIDS to only accept BPs in proper zone order. Hope someone at DL hears you.
One problem with that is if you are traveling with companions on a separate itinerary (for example, when my family of six traveled this summer, we were on three different itineraries...).
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:41 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I was about the 7th to board a 757 EWR-ATL last week.
Turned left to the FC cabin - sitting in row 4, I put my computer bag on my seat and start to lift my roll-on into the bin. I start to get pushed from behind by somebody in a huge rush to get to row 2. I put my bag down and ask them to step back as we're not going anywhere anytime soon.

I love watching the who can get closest to the gate game. You always see a couple guys about 20 feet from the gate, then somebody walks up in front them and you can tell it's really upsetting them. I've even seen one of the guys go ahead and move in front of the intruder. They must have gotten the targeted promo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.