Wiki Posts
Search

Be wary of Delta flights out of BUF!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The flights to/from JFK need the padding because delays routinely would otherwise mess up plans.

That aside, doesn't it seem like the BUF-JFK flight has been given a higher priority?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
That aside, doesn't it seem like the BUF-JFK flight has been given a higher priority?
I'm not sure how it was decided that the (shorter flight time) BUF-JFK flight should leave at 5:50 am while the BUF-CVG flight should leave at 6:25 am.

In any case Delta needs to be honest with itself and realize that with de-icing at the gate, there is NO WAY that these two flights can share the same gate and have the second flight leave not be delayed...
Old Feb 2, 2009, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ty97
I can somewhat understand the gate staff at BUF seeming a bit indifferent. They have absolutely no control over the schedule that Delta makes, and if this delay happens as often as it sounds, it's may be the norm for them.

Best bet here, IMO, is to contact Delta directly. BUF staff won't be able to help you.
So if Delta doesn't get input from the ground crew at an airport, how do they come up with their schedules???

It would seem like someone within Delta should be looking at the flights with the worst on-time record and confering with ground staff involved and coming up with a solution...be it rescheduling or pushing BUF to come up with better de-icing procedures...
Old Feb 2, 2009, 6:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Several points:

(1) The customers buy tickets from Delta, and it is Delta that is accountable to the customers. Delta can hold Chautauqua accountable and should, but it is Delta that must answer to the customer.

(2) Definitely sounds like inefficient use of the tug -- they should just push the plane back another 20 feet the first time & be done with it. Normally customer care emails don't address operational deficiencies of this sort but it's worth a try. I'd suggest the OP use delta.com's "Contact Us" link, make a very specific suggestion & request that it be forward to the local operations management.

(3) Winter happens and so does de-icing. They can't pad every departure every day for possible de-icing. Sometimes I look at my watch & grimace in these situations, but I've always reached my destination.
Agree wholeheartedly with you, Mike. (Yes, I know. A rarity, but it does happen! ) No matter who's operating the flight, if it says Delta on the plane and on the ticket, then Delta is accountable. I've written directly to Delta to complain about Comair flights in to and out of JFK and have always gotten a response from Delta, not from Comair.

And Buffalo in the winter? I don't care what the flight schedule says, I'd build in my own extra padding time if I were flying out of BUF tomake a connection. I do that now in NY, no matter what time of year.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 6:44 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by Burj
So if Delta doesn't get input from the ground crew at an airport, how do they come up with their schedules???

It would seem like someone within Delta should be looking at the flights with the worst on-time record and confering with ground staff involved and coming up with a solution...be it rescheduling or pushing BUF to come up with better de-icing procedures...
I would guess that the station manager has to file reports/provide information. But that gate agent you saw? That person has absolutely no say in Delta scheduling or Delta policies. Getting upset with them just seems futile to me. Getting upset with Delta in this case: that makes sense.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:28 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I do CVG-BUF-CVG several times a year. The groundstaff at BUF are not Delta employees but Comair (they got rid of the mainline DL staff in conjuction with the "temporary" elimination of mainline flights serving BUF maybe 4-5 years ago - right now there is a mainline flight to ATL - I know its nitpicking the issue). I usually have no problem CVG-BUF but the return BUF-CVG in the late afternoon is very unreliable since at least under the old equipment routing, the plane comes into BUF from JFK. It's actually gotten to the point where I'd rather do a connection through DTW than the direct to CVG.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peteropny
It's actually gotten to the point where I'd rather do a connection through DTW than the direct to CVG.
Wow that is just sad that BUF's operation has so many issues, many stemming from scheduling! I was secretly hoping it was just a morning problem. It is good to know that the later BUF-CVG flight is just as bad as the morning one!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:12 pm

For what it's worth I flew on Mainline MD-88 service 2059 BUF-ATL this morning, we pushed early and arrived almost a half hour early into ATL, and returned this afternoon through CVG on DL6064 (Operated by RP) and we were early into BUF on that leg as well.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls

(2) Definitely sounds like inefficient use of the tug -- they should just push the plane back another 20 feet the first time & be done with it.
Oops, missed this one. You can't, that would be insanity. There is no way you can deice on an active taxiway. Aircraft get pushed back as far as possible (the "glycol line" and then deiced, and then pushed back on the TXWY for engine start and taxi-out
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:30 am

To clear the air, so to speak...

I realize this is an old topic, but I've been working in BUF for Delta Connection (Comair to be specific) since the beginning of February and I must speak on this issue because I took a particular notice to it.

Let me start with this, we do not de-ice our own planes (not Delta, not Comair, not any), we use Integrated De-icing services, also we can't push the aircraft to the taxi way for de-icing or we incur a hefty fine, so they must be kept just past the gate until de-icing has completed.

At BUF we ("Delta") only have two gates, 23 + 25 (although in June we will acquire two more), and at the current point in time we have 3 overnight aircraft (JFK, ATL, and CVG, 6:00, 6:10, and 6:30 dept times respectively), at the point in time when the OP posted we had four overnight aircraft (JFK, ATL, ATL, and CVG), in the morning CVG is the last RJ to depart, and back when we had 4 aircraft it was quite difficult to get the ship out on time, due to the fact we arn't exactly well equipped with man power, we have to divide everybody up to work certain flights.

As far as the "one tug" issue goes, we currently have 4 tug carts (bag carts) in operation (although that changes daily) and 2 jet tugs (pushbacks), although one is INOP at the moment.

So while I understand where the OP is coming from with his frustration I can only give a first hand (I'm obviously a ramp agent) account at how and why these planes get delayed, although since we cut out the 2nd ATL morning flight we've been quite successful at getting JFK and CVG out on time, if not early .
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Blackneon - welcome to FT.

VERY nice to see a buf agent here. After many years of flying DL out of Buffalo I moved to NWA when the fired the mainline staff. Those folks were great.

Although i only spent 10 days on the road last year travel is going to be picked up because of some changes to my business and i'm trying to get back to plat status with the new 3x eqm promo going on. I try to always leave the night before in case of weather, etc ~ so i'm off to lax next week tuesday on the 3:10p jfk departure with many more planned over the next month.

I'll be good trying to figure out who you are without getting you in trouble for posting here.

THANK YOU for your input. It's great to see the Comair contract has brought in some talent.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Welcome blackneon89! Since you are from BUF, I'd love to hear your input on this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rity-line.html

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 27, 2009, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blackneon89
I realize this is an old topic, but I've been working in BUF for Delta Connection (Comair to be specific) since the beginning of February and I must speak on this issue because I took a particular notice to it.
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Thank you for posting. I had been avoiding BUF, but if what you say is true, I might have to give it another go.

How long ago was the 2nd flight to ATL nixed? With the current schedule, do you think things will be o.k. next winter in terms of on time departures, even with de-icing?
Old Mar 27, 2009, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blackneon89
As far as the "one tug" issue goes, we currently have 4 tug carts (bag carts) in operation (although that changes daily) and 2 jet tugs (pushbacks), although one is INOP at the moment.
Was skimming the whole thread again and noticed this part...

I'm *almost* afraid to ask...but if you currently have two pushback tugs, and one is already INOP...what happens tomorrow if you go to start the other one up and it is INOP also...would all of Delta's BUF operation grind to a halt? Would you be at the mercy of USAirways to borrow their tug(s)?
Old Mar 27, 2009, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by baccarat0809
Blackneon - welcome to FT.

VERY nice to see a buf agent here.

I'll be good trying to figure out who you are without getting you in trouble for posting here.

THANK YOU for your input. It's great to see the Comair contract has brought in some talent.
*cough* and what am I, chop liver...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.