Search

International arrival at ATL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2009, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Flying Blue, AB Top Bonus
International arrival at ATL

Cheers everyone!

Did try to look this up but the search didn't return anything. Can anyone give me some advice on changing planes at Hartsfield? We're coming in from DUS on a Delta flight and want to connect to either Newark or LaGuardia. Estimated connection time will be 1h35 inbound and 0h54 on the return leg. Do you think this is sufficient concerning immigration, customs, baggage re-check and possible terminal changes?

Thanks a lot and happy landings!
Tom
Old Jan 23, 2009, 7:13 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi Tom,

Originally Posted by vauxhall
Can anyone give me some advice on changing planes at Hartsfield? We're coming in from DUS on a Delta flight and want to connect to either Newark or LaGuardia. Estimated connection time will be 1h35 inbound and 0h54 on the return leg. Do you think this is sufficient concerning immigration, customs, baggage re-check and possible terminal changes?

Thanks a lot and happy landings!
Tom
It partially depends on time of day. Immigration as a non-US citizen or resident can take 30-45 minutes on bad days (although I've also managed it in 5 on good days). Luggage can take a bit to arrive, and you will then have to go through security, which recently (as mentioned in another thread) was down to two lanes ... so while 1h35 should be sufficient, I would try to get more if possible. Once you get through security, head down to the train to get to your terminal. That's the fast part of your transit.

On the return, if there are no delays 54 minutes is ok. However, since you will be coming out of the NY area, delays are frequent, and thus I would also try to get more of a buffer.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jan 23, 2009, 8:58 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Delta Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...tml?highlight=

This thread (click on link above), from a few days ago, may be helpful (and also possibly discouraging) in terms of helping you make a decision on your connecting window. After passport control and claiming your checked bags (see above linked thread on that), you have to pass through customs, re-check your checked bags, go through a security screening line, and then take a train to your gate (which will be likely on Concourse A or B--you'll be getting on the train at E). If everything moved smoothly it might work fine. The problem is that many of the steps--especially passport control, claiming your checked bags, and the security screening--can be unpredictably efficient or painfully slow. An hour thrity-five sounds like a lot of time at one level, but when you start thinking about all of the above steps, it really isn't--and that's assuming your inbound flight is on time. IMO, you would have no chance if it arrived even a little bit late. Personally, I would want more time than that as I'd rather kill some time at the airport than have the uncertainty and hassle of missing my connecting flight--especially all day long over things that are beyond your control. Good luck with whatever you decide.

On the return, you should be able to check your bags straight through and you don't have to go through all those other steps like security screening, passport control (except at the gate), so if your flight is on time, the 54 minutes could work, but you would still have to hustle. Here again I would want more time, especially because missing your international return would be a major hassle.

Last edited by atl runner; Jan 23, 2009 at 10:31 am
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:37 am

Personally I would allow for a little more time on the way into Atlanta if possible, as the timing of the immigration/baggage claim/re-clear security process can vary wildly in Atlanta.

On the return, 54 minutes would normally be plenty, except that you will be flying out of New York, which is something of a wild card due to rampant delays. As the DUS flight is a late afternoon departure, there should be plenty of earlier options to get to ATL from LGA/EWR/JFK. I would take a longer layover in ATL rather than risk missing a 5x a week TATL flight.

On International flights I tend to err on the side of caution as an extra hour in the airport beats a wasted day at an airport hotel somewhere. YMMV
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: DL, UA
I actually took the DUS->ATL flight last week, and we arrived a little later than scheduled. Going through immigration (non-citizen), claiming bags, going through customs, re-checking bags, and going through security took about 50 minutes that day. Than it will take another 10 minutes to get to the connecting gate. So 1:35 would have (barely) worked that day, but on other days it took me 90 minutes from arrival to clearing security. Thus, I'd try to have a longer connection time.

As others have sad as well, I'd also try to have a longer connection time for the return flight.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by blue_hubba
I actually took the DUS->ATL flight last week, and we arrived a little later than scheduled. Going through immigration (non-citizen), claiming bags, going through customs, re-checking bags, and going through security took about 50 minutes that day. Than it will take another 10 minutes to get to the connecting gate. So 1:35 would have (barely) worked that day, but on other days it took me 90 minutes from arrival to clearing security. Thus, I'd try to have a longer connection time.

As others have sad as well, I'd also try to have a longer connection time for the return flight.
Because it was very extremely busy during rush-hour traffic in ATL due to incoming international arrivals. This is reason why you were spent wait for more than 10 minutes at Immigrations. Because it will be very long lines were trying to get cleared at Immigrations & Customs. I would not to be recommend if I will not want to wait for more than 5 or 10 minutes to get clear at Immigrations & Customs. I remember what we did flown from TLV back in Summer 2006. It was very fast the time but, they didn't wait for too long time where I am looking for our bags is coming off the planes.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I wouldn't risk 1hr34mins at ATL. Try to get yourself at least another 30 minutes.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I wouldn't risk 1hr34mins at ATL. Try to get yourself at least another 30 minutes.
Perhaps if you are hurried to catch your next flight out of ATL.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 2:32 am

Programs: DL PM '04; Hyatt Diamond
timing

i've only done it once in less than 1 hour... mostly an hour and half to two is preferred. three is what I always schedule, then SDC for an earlier if I make it out.
Old May 20, 2010, 4:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Same here. Out of the 7 times I entered the US through ATL this year, 5 of them it took me a little over 1 hour to clear everything and get to terminal E. Even when immigration is empty (not often), the security lines are bad...

Some funny people working on the security lines over there though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.