Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Are DL Platinum Medallions losing award fee exemption benefit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are DL Platinum Medallions losing award fee exemption benefit?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by motytrah
Yes, let's wait and see while they divide and conquer.
You see my point precisely.

"Wait and see" is naive denial.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by motytrah
Yes, let's wait and see while they divide and conquer.
Exactly -- what really is the gain from playing an ostrich with the head buried in the sand? DL management runs the show with WorldPerks too.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by humanoid94
The weirdest thing about the latest series of changes has been to reduce the difference between Gold Elite and Platinum Elite, thus reducing the customers incentive to "reach" for Platinum instead of settling for Gold and drive incremental revenue. This just doesn't make a lot of sense.
This seems a lot like Delta playing from the Hilton HHonors playbook, where the difference between top-tier elite and mid-tier elite was eroded down to basically one substantive item and that is all while mid-tier elite status continues to be given away to every Tom, Dick and Harry for little to no cost.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 7, 2009 at 1:34 pm
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by la2moscow
I agree.

I personally think they should create a 100,000 mile tier. And those people should be treated very well. I used to be an American Airlines ExecPlatinum (way back when -- so it may have changed), but there was a real difference.

I think they are diluting Platinum by making it easy to reach (Amex mileage boost, 75m qualification, etc.) and then having to dilute the benefits as a result.

Some of us actually do fly a lot -- and we should be treated differently!
+1. Many would be curious to know the year-to-year changes in Elite level counts (driven by the the non-BIS EQM options?), and if this is a way to "rebalance" the benefits to the Elite levels.

Those of us that actually had 75k BIS EQMs (without CC EQMs, or DEQM, etc) are not going to enjoy having our benefits cut. Then again, if DL makes it 100K, and then does a DEQM... hey, what the heck, time to make 100K Plat.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by sbagdon
+1. Many would be curious to know the year-to-year changes in Elite level counts (driven by the the non-BIS EQM options?), and if this is a way to "rebalance" the benefits to the Elite levels.

Those of us that actually had 75k BIS EQMs (without CC EQMs, or DEQM, etc) are not going to enjoy having our benefits cut. Then again, if DL makes it 100K, and then does a DEQM... hey, what the heck, time to make 100K Plat.
And those of us over flying NW sit and watch while DL flyers get the DEQMs thrown at them, effectively making DL Golds equal to NW PLTs.

This game isn't as fun as it used to be.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
2006: PM
2007: PM
2008: PM
2009: FO
2010: Sayonara, Delta

Fee waivers are the only tangible benefit to PM, IMO.

I feel for any hangers on, it's hard to switch loyalty. I'm lucky enough to live in a location where I can fly AS and credit to the MileagePlan.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by spgaston
2006: PM
2007: PM
2008: PM
2009: FO
2010: Sayonara, Delta

Fee waivers are the only tangible benefit to PM, IMO.

I feel for any hangers on, it's hard to switch loyalty. I'm lucky enough to live in a location where I can fly AS and credit to the MileagePlan.
Yes, you got it, it's hard to switch. But despite my years on the redtail, I feel no loyalty to DL. It's a different entity and a different model.

NWA WP stepped over the brink today, and lots of us know it. We knew change - negative change - was coming, and now it has. The manifestation of the end of WP. It's also a signal to DL PMs that they're hosed too! Wait for the gnashing on this board in about six weeks' time.

On the bright side, I'm feeling free to look around. I'd For years I'd never even thought about defection. And this is happening early enough in the year for all of us to qualify for top tier in our chosen programs without problems. A number of us, including me, had held off big-mileage bookings for 09 until now. I'm very glad I did, because I feel I have the flex to load up in other programs. I'd do AS if I lived in SEA too.

Maybe the strategy is simply to book no more on DL, take my 25k of paid flying for FO - redeem left and right in J on SkyTeam carriers for the coming year - which I've done - and see how it looks at high elite level in another alliance.

Good luck to all WP refugees, whichever airline you choose.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by rasmcasm
The people making these decisions at DL are airline employees that fly non-rev, and have no such fees or restrictions when flying (assuming they can get an unsold seat), and should be especially sensitive to the value of flexibility to the customers that fly the most.
You're joking right? VP's Non Reving....I would like to see that
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
DELTA.COM has a section called BLOG, Under the wing....

They state: "Got an idea for a story? Give us a buzz."

I gave them some fine ideas about angry Platinums and the change/re-deposit fees. Perhaps many others of us can do so.

Edited to add the link as requested:

http://blog.delta.com/contact-us/

And to the right of that page check out CATEGORIES.

Last edited by NW.BTR.Than.The.Rest; Jan 7, 2009 at 7:45 pm Reason: Added link as requested by other FTs
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:47 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
I'm going to go in a different direction here...I bet they are doing this to the NW Plats, knowing they will reverse this in Feb (as they rightfully should) as a way of throwing them a bone.

However, much as I would like this to be the case, I suspect we will continue to be "enhanced". I just wish they would warn us to grab our ankles.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NW.BTR.Than.The.Rest
They state: "Got an idea for a story? Give us a buzz."

I gave them some fine ideas about angry Platinums and the change/re-deposit fees. Perhaps many others of us can do so.
Did you post a comment under one of their propaganda entries? Which one? I can find no new comments on this topic (but there is so little of value on that blog that I am relatively unfamiliar with navigating around it).
Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:10 pm
mdb

can you give us a link please - thx
Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DlRes
You're joking right? VP's Non Reving....I would like to see that
You're right on that. I recall one flight where I eked out the last UG... balance of FC was filled predominantly with DL suits heading somewhere to/from some sort of conference.

IMHO, suits are unlikely to fly under conditions that would give them an appreciation of what air travel is truly like for the rest of us.

My fantasy... the entire DL Board of Directors in window seats in coach, on an RJ from JFK to DFW (1391 miles and 4.5 hrs)... after 3 hr ATC delay on the taxiway in JFK... with a broken toilet... with two crying babies... and no beverages catered for the flight.

And, no, I am not usually vindictive... but I have my limits
Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL DM; UA; AA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am DL-NW Platinum through to the end of February 2010 and that's scheduled to be the end of many years of being Platinum with DL and NW <...>
Switching over to whom, if I may wonder?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RichMSN
And those of us over flying NW sit and watch while DL flyers get the DEQMs thrown at them, effectively making DL Golds equal to NW PLTs.
Yes, and the DL flyers can grumble about the cheap, segment-qualifying NW Plats. In the absence of data proprietary to NW and DL, this argument goes nowhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.