Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Are DL Platinum Medallions losing award fee exemption benefit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are DL Platinum Medallions losing award fee exemption benefit?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
Well, that pretty much completely destroys the differential of PM over GM for those of us who fly peak days on cheap fares.

Let's see, PMUs are worthless, it's already impossible to get compliemntary Medallion upgrades on cheap fares, and GMs get the same 100% mileage bonus as PMs, so why bother with PM over GM?
Same here.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Comparisons are interesting, but not pertinent.

If it is "OK" for DL to charge a $150 redeposit fee just because AA does, will it be "just as OK" if AA doubles the fee and DL follows along?

That sort of logic will permit the airlines to openly collude to the point where FF programs are worthless.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Comparisons are interesting, but not pertinent.

If it is "OK" for DL to charge a $150 redeposit fee just because AA does, will it be "just as OK" if AA doubles the fee and DL follows along?

That sort of logic will permit the airlines to openly collude to the point where FF programs are worthless.
Even in comparison with all other US airlines, DL has more award fees and higher award fees than the rest. Comparing one fee here or there won't accomplish much as DL has the highest possible award fees of all US airline programs.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:57 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes.

AA has a change fee of $0 (zero) for even general members. [This applies too all AAdvantage members regardless of elite status as long as sticking to the same routing.]
Oh, right, I forgot that part.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Well, I just tried to send this through DL's website form:

I understand that Delta is going to eliminate the fee exemption for Platinum Medallion members for award ticket booking, cancellation, and redeposit. I have always ranked this benefit in the top reasons to maintain Platinum status with Delta. For me (and my wife who accompanies me on travel)having to commit definitively to a trip is overly restrictive, especially when it involves revenue business travel on my part and her accompanying me on award travel). In the past I could cancel when my business plans changed without having to pay a "junk" re-deposit fee or a "junk" change fee. Likewise, when DL's own schedule changes force me to cancel plans (as they nearly did last November when you eliminated JFK-ATH inventory and revenue management forced us into a suboptimal schedule), it is an important benefit of Platinum status.

This change (coming soon as I understand) devalues the SkyMiles Medallion program greatly. Without the re-deposit fee exemption the only benefit I see for maintaining Platinum status is upgrade priority (which doesn't necessarily result in upgrades given the downguaging of aircraft and service reductions) and the PMU's (which are very expensive and restrictive to use vis AA or UA, especially considering DL's restrictive international upgrade inventory policies).

Delta has implemented a plethora of junk fees including the partner-segment fee and the international-origination fee on award travel. With a fee for re-depositing miles I might as well be a general member of the SkyMiles program with regard to using SkyMiles. I am currently planning 2009 business travel and have the ability to move business between airlines. I consider all factors, including the value of Elite status, in my decisions.

I hope Delta will reconsider this change. It is becoming harder and harder to justify financially remaining on Delta itineraries, especially considering the pressure to keep down corporate expenses. I do maintain elite status with at least one other airline, but I prefer to fly Delta. Fees like these make it tougher and tougher to justify that preference.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.
Instead of sending it, I got a page that indicated "ALERT! This system is unavailable".

I guess they just don't want to hear complaints, so they've shut off the comment section of the web site.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
AA charges EXPs $150 to redeopsit an award.
UA charges 1Ks $0 to redeposit an award.
A. I will send in a complaint. Our voices need to be heard on this.

B. My next step is looking into UA status match then change in my business (and screenname). I've just about had it with "customer service" (an oxymoron) at Delta. As others are saying, what exactly is the difference between Gold and Platinum (which I just made) now?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Sigh. Most have us have known for years now that the only way to make DL's teetering award system work was to book sub-optimal routes and hope for others to open. First DL removed wait-lists, so you had to keep monitoring and calling on your own. Now it sounds as if they're removing the ability for PMs to change things as availability opens up. Seems like they've just about completed their plan:

You want to use miles to fly? That'll be 370K, sir (the amount I'm currently being quoted for B/E seats on their new ROB route every day this summer, despite the fact the seatmap shows NO seats occupied in either cabin many dates). Plus several hundred dollars in junk fees.

Or, wait, you can use Pay With Miles! That'll be 1.15MM for the same ticket.

No thanks. I feel really bad for the NW folks who are about to be sucked down the drain with us... at least we've known for a while.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by DLBosPvdFF
A. I will send in a complaint. Our voices need to be heard on this.

B. My next step is looking into UA status match then change in my business (and screenname). I've just about had it with "customer service" (an oxymoron) at Delta. As others are saying, what exactly is the difference between Gold and Platinum (which I just made) now?

So here is what I submitted via the website. I strongly suggest everyone do the same, even if it's just a sentence. I asked for a response, and am curious what they'll say.

To whom it may concern:

Getting rid of the award fee exemption for Platinum Medallion members is a BAD idea. This was a major reason I pushed to make Platinuim last year and was planning to do so again this year and future years. I travel a lot in a new job I took at the beginning of last year and made the decision to fly Delta only, at times out of extreme inconvenince or financial hit (BOS-CVG-MDT-ATL-BOS, instead of a simple 2 hour direct flight each way on US Airways; BOS-PHL at $1000 r/t vs. PVD-PHL for under $200 r/t on Us and United). Now I may reconsider and take a good chunk of my business elsewhere.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Sigh. Most have us have known for years now that the only way to make DL's teetering award system work was to book sub-optimal routes and hope for others to open. First DL removed wait-lists, so you had to keep monitoring and calling on your own. Now it sounds as if they're removing the ability for PMs to change things as availability opens up. Seems like they've just about completed their plan:

You want to use miles to fly? That'll be 370K, sir (the amount I'm currently being quoted for B/E seats on their new ROB route every day this summer, despite the fact the seatmap shows NO seats occupied in either cabin many dates). Plus several hundred dollars in junk fees.

Or, wait, you can use Pay With Miles! That'll be 1.15MM for the same ticket.

No thanks. I feel really bad for the NW folks who are about to be sucked down the drain with us... at least we've known for a while.
Some of us have known! It's been almost 11 months since I started my "Why Frequent Flyers Can't Trust Delta" thread. Of course it was poopooed by all the loyalists, who came out of the woodwork for the occasion. Strangely, they're all silent today.

What is so incredible is that they're pulling this crap now before all the NW elites have been suckered into the program. JeffBob has learned that incrementalism works better than the all-at-once brick on the head (which gave birth to SaveSkyMiles.com), but beyond that thankfully they still have no sense of strategy whatsoever.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:45 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by DLBosPvdFF
So here is what I submitted via the website. I strongly suggest everyone do the same, even if it's just a sentence. I asked for a response, and am curious what they'll say.
Yours went through? I continue to get the "system unavailable" message when I try to send an email through the site.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:56 am

I'm not saying DL won't change its policy, but currently there are no changes.

https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about....jsp#feewaiver

It seems that the complaints should be focused on NWA at this point. Since it has been established by a vocal few here that DL never listens, why complain to them? Spend your time objecting to this new NW policy to the NW decision makers. They seem to be the best chamions of your cause.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:07 am

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Originally Posted by El Boocho

It seems that the complaints should be focused on NWA at this point. Since it has been established by a vocal few here that DL never listens, why complain to them? Spend your time objecting to this new NW policy to the NW decision makers. They seem to be the best chamions of your cause.
"NW decision makers?" Are you serious? NW has been told to "get in line" with Delta. What makes you think this was NW's decision, or that it is a NW-only policy? All recent WP decisions have come from Atlanta, as far as anyone can tell.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by El Boocho

The person pulling the NW strings is our beloved JeffBob. And you don't think this will apply to you? Sticking your head in the sand & telling people go bug NW will provide little protection.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given DL's obsession with "harmonization" to close arbitrage between SkyMiles and WorldPerks, why wouldn't these award fee introductions for Platinums be done at more or less the same time for DL and NW Platinums?
Yup.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Well, I just tried to send this through DL's website form:

Instead of sending it, I got a page that indicated "ALERT! This system is unavailable".

I guess they just don't want to hear complaints, so they've shut off the comment section of the web site.
I was able to get an e-mail in on this topic earlier this AM?

Has anyone else been unsuccessful with the e-mail utility.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
The people making these decisions at DL are airline employees that fly non-rev, and have no such fees or restrictions when flying (assuming they can get an unsold seat), and should be especially sensitive to the value of flexibility to the customers that fly the most. It seems their mindset to effectively convert a large percentage of award tickets to discount miles+cash tickets. For their best flyers though, the change fee is a direct dimishment of the value of miles because they know their best customers are accustomed to making all the changes we do with our full fare tickets. Our company has the Skymiles cards now for business purchases and with changes like these wonder when our controller will pull those for higher value incentives elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.