Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Are DL Platinum Medallions losing award fee exemption benefit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are DL Platinum Medallions losing award fee exemption benefit?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by skchin
Perhaps this is a preview of what will be a 4th tier benefit for status in 2010?
Very possible. I would not expect too much generocity at the top (if they raise the qualification to 100K) though. It seems to me they just don't care what the customer wants/thinks.

Edit to add: I feel like a sheeple being completely fleeced

Last edited by avidflyer; Jan 7, 2009 at 7:30 am
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by skchin
Perhaps this is a preview of what will be a 4th tier benefit for status in 2010?
Perhaps DL wants to gamble on a published 4th tier with publicized qualifying criteria and benefits but in this economic environment they can gamble without my money and see how much these changes motivate or strip motivation away from using the DL-NW FF program(s).

After all the DL-forced "customer givebacks" which DL management have pushed through by way of the three-tier award chart mileage devaluation and multiple award fee introductions and increase, if now DL thinks that eliminating this Platinum benefit and reintroducing the same fee exemptions for a new top-tier elite status is going to get me to give DL more business than before, then DL is living in a fantasy land.

"Just say no to fleecing" by DL remains the call sign of the day.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Perhaps DL wants to gamble on a published 4th tier with publicized qualifying criteria and benefits but in this economic environment they can gamble without my money and see how much these changes motivate or strip motivation away from using the DL-NW FF program(s).

After all the DL-forced "customer givebacks" which DL management have pushed through by way of the three-tier award chart mileage devaluation and multiple award fee introductions and increase, if now DL thinks that eliminating this Platinum benefit and reintroducing the same fee exemptions for a new top-tier elite status is going to get me to give DL more business than before, then DL is living in a fantasy land.

"Just say no to fleecing" by DL remains the call sign of the day.

This requires much bigger action than just saying no to sheeple fleecing. It IS time my freinds...it is time to rise up ala "Saveskymiles.com" or bigger and at least go down with a fight. I have to believe one of the airline networks is willing to step up and take on tens of thousands of regular, generally high spending, informed customers. We need a new deal with OW or *A for our business. Then, we need to publicize the hell out of it. There is no doubt we could get the message out, this is Flertalk.

WE ARE AS MAD AS HELL AND WE ARE"NT GOINT TO TAKE IT ANYMORE! (Great movie Network was)
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:49 am

Programs: DL DM
Is anyone else just tired and tired of fighting? It takes A LOT of time, money, and effort to make platinum. I did it this year for the first time in a long time. While I am not NW's bread-and-butter, many of the fares paid were Q, H, and M class tickets - most-definitely not the lowest fare buckets. If this is how Plat is treated, it honestly makes me want to just book the flight that works best for timing, etc. without regard for the airline or alliance. Screw them.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by avidflyer
this is Flertalk.
Although I agree with the message this really takes the effectiveness out of it (and made me laugh out loud, or LOL as the text crew likes to say).

Personally, I'm seriously rethinking booking my upcoming trips on DL/NW and am shopping around. Where can I get the best status match?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Who would be stupid enough to count on Delta to provide those benefits once you qualify? Ask the Flying Colonels and holders of Old Miles about Delta's integrity.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jan 7, 2009 at 8:06 am
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
And for those who may not be following the complimentary thread on the NW forum, NWA elite services has confirmed that platinums will in fact have to pay these fees starting Mar. 1.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GBadger
Although I agree with the message this really takes the effectiveness out of it (and made me laugh out loud, or LOL as the text crew likes to say).

Personally, I'm seriously rethinking booking my upcoming trips on DL/NW and am shopping around. Where can I get the best status match?
I thought this was Flertalk? OH...I have been in the wrong forum for several years! I was wondering why nobody was talking about German Rap music. This explains everything.

Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
As I said a few days ago in another thread, regarding DL's continuing tendencies to degrade the FF program:
I anticipate more "probing" such as was the case with "Choice seats" to determine what the tolerance levels are within the FF community. In that case, DL opened a hornets nest.

So, I would fully expect more incremental degradations in the program, such as the recent changes in baggage allowance. A slow whittling away at the program...

Absent some external stimulus impacting DL management, today's FF program (as an integrated whole) is the best it ever will be. Not the best that is has been, but the best that it will be.

A gradual erosion of benefits will likely fly under the radar screen of complacency typified by the "My upgrade record is satisfyingly steady right now, why make waves?" attitude too commonly evidenced here."
So... here is what appears to be another probing. BOHICA

Too many of you have been willing to adopt the attitude of "Well, that change doesn't affect me... I'll let it slide." If DL frequent flyers don't find some issue to rally around and organize a resistance to DL management's abusive and dismissive attitude towards the members of its FF program, we'll end up getting what we deserve... a seriously degraded program.

Aren't you getting tired of DL doing things to you because of your elite status? Not good things to reward you for your loyalty... but bad things because they perceive you as being held captive by your status, and they believe they can get away with it.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:21 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

This is truly shocking, and deserves a big !

I can see two reasons they will give for doing this: (1) No doubt the bean counters have calculated how much revenue the Plat exemption costs them (I, for instance, redeposited or changed 23 awards in 2008, worth $2300). (2) The rationale "this practice wastes award seats, and they are scarce" will be brought up again, like it has for the elimination of award holds.

The real reason has to do, of course, with fleecing the sheeple: With the three-tiered system, DL needs to keep people from booking a "mid tier" award a few months before travel, and then "buying down" to a "low tier" award if it opens up a few days before departure. A $100 change/redeposit fee and a $150 "last minute ticketing charge" are a pretty strong disincentive to reissuing award tickets at a lower mileage level. I'm guessing the Plat exemption from the fee for award ticketing <21 days from departure will be next to go.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:23 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Those are only two of many DL award fees.

To different degrees, AA, UA, AS have top-tiers exempted or subject to fewer and lower fees (even no fees in comparison to DL if talking about date changes) -- and that is just out of the US program.

Out of the foreign programs, many more have fewer and lower fees or fee-free changes compared to DL.
AA charges EXPs $150 to redeopsit an award.
UA charges 1Ks $0 to redeposit an award.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:27 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Here's the discussion in the NW forum about this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...beg-3-1-a.html
Well, that pretty much completely destroys the differential of PM over GM for those of us who fly peak days on cheap fares.

Let's see, PMUs are worthless, it's already impossible to get compliemntary Medallion upgrades on cheap fares, and GMs get the same 100% mileage bonus as PMs, so why bother with PM over GM?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:31 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by fsa_ea

FTer Stripe has assembled a comparison of various carriers' award fees on the NW forum.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:36 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
My letter to Delta

no salutation

I understand through web forums that Delta is going to eliminate the fee exemption for Platinum Medallion members for award ticket cancellation. I have always ranked this benefit in the top 2 reasons to maintain Platinum status with Delta. For me (and the friends & family with whom I share my SkyMiles) having to commit definitively to a trip some 10-12 months in advance is very restrictive. In the past I could cancel when friends or family flaked on me with regard to travel plans without having to ask them for reimbursement for the re-deposit fee or actually EAT the re-deposit fee myself.

This change (coming on 4/1/09 as I understand) devalues the SkyMiles Medallion program greatly. The 100% mileage bonus is great... but I can get that by achieving Gold Medallion. Without the re-deposit fee exemption the only benefit I see for maintaining Platinum status is upgrade priority.

Delta has implemented a plethora of junk fees including the partner-segment fee and the international-origination fee on award travel. I have paid these fees while trying to look at the bright side of (almost) free travel. With a fee for re-depositing miles I might as well be a general member of the SkyMiles program with regard to using SkyMiles.

I hope Delta will reconsider this change. It is becoming harder and harder to justify financially remaining on Delta itineraries.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

Evan!

We, the FF community, managed to get the choice seats restriction for medallions revoked. We can get them to change this. There are enough NW & DL Platinums to be heard. I urge every platinum on this board to take 3 minutes or less to express a complaint on delta.com. Here's the link to make it even easier (log in first):

Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
Yes.

AA has a change fee of $0 (zero) for even general members. [This applies too to all AAdvantage members regardless of elite status as long as sticking to the same routing.]

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 7, 2009 at 9:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.