Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PMU/SWU/Elite ExtraPerks harmonization?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
PMU/SWU/Elite ExtraPerks harmonization?

Is there any plan to harmonize the NW Elite Extra Perks benefits, specifically the system wide upgrade certificates, across DL? I keep hearing about how the programs will be nearly identical in 2009 and people shouldn't care which program they play in, but the #1 reason for me to stay with NW WP for now instead of SkyMiles is Elite Extra Perks.

For those not familiar, at 120k EQM (MQM) we get two SWUs, and an additional two every 40k EQM thereafter. These SWUs allow a one way upgrade from any paid fare class into C (discounted business on NW, but not deeply discounted business - e.g. this bucket is open much more frequently than the buckets used for mileage upgrades). These are valid on any NW flight, and KL flights to Europe and Africa. So, you could for instance book a V ticket from SFO-AMS-CPT and upgrade it into business. Given that they book into C, and can be used from any paid fare class, they're a LOT easier to redeem than DL PMUs. (They're also harder to get as you don't start getting them until 120k EQM).

Currently, these are not valid on DL flights. My SWUs from this year will be valid until 4/2010, but I'm not sure that there will be any NW-operated flights in 4/2010. Will these be made valid on DL flights, or will we be able to somehow convert these into DL certificates if the programs are being brought to parity?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Will be interesting to see what happens. As it stands right now, I'll end the year with 86k MQMs. Not interested in getting some bonus miles for hitting 100k MQMs. However, at 90k, I'd consider doing a MR to get some of the perks - 50% off a SkyChoice award would seem good, as would a Silver giveaway. But 10k bonus miles when I'm netting 200k miles a year - I think I'll pass.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Originally Posted by mersk862
Will be interesting to see what happens. As it stands right now, I'll end the year with 86k MQMs. Not interested in getting some bonus miles for hitting 100k MQMs. However, at 90k, I'd consider doing a MR to get some of the perks - 50% off a SkyChoice award would seem good, as would a Silver giveaway. But 10k bonus miles when I'm netting 200k miles a year - I think I'll pass.
For me most of the perks at 60k and 90k EQMs are worthless (although last year the 2500 EQM bonus did put me up to the next tier and let me get another two SWUs). It's all about the SWUs for me which is why I'm so anxious. I'm currently sitting on 6 SWUs and I'm going to be quite peeved if I can't redeem them because all of a sudden there are no more NW-operated flights. (would also suck to see EEP disappear in 2009, or to get more SWUs for 2009 travel only to find them not usable).
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:43 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
I think that if they are saying our program will be identical in 2009, it would only be fair to give NW Platinums 6 PMU usable on both NW and DL, and have DL Platinums PMU be usable on NW flight in addition to DL flights. But Im not holding my breath and looking more closely every day at AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.