Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Delta platinum skymiles upgrade promo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2008, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles
Amex Delta platinum skymiles upgrade promo

I recently received a promo in the mail offering 10k MQM for upgrading from my current gold skymiles amex card. The promo highlighted that the this is 5k MQM more than normally offered. I accepted the offer and upgraded primarily on the basis that this would put me where i need to achieve medallion status for the year. (I do not see much other value in the additional cost otherwise.)

I received the card and shortly thereafter only 5k MQMs posted to my account. I called amex to investigate and after several inquiries that did not even attempt to answer my question, the have finally written me back concluding that I have "reached the maximum amount of Welcome bonuses". They said this was based on 10k (non-MQM) bonus miles I received when I originally signed up for gold and the 5k MQM that just posted.

I thoroughly re-read the offer letter and fine print and did not see anything relating to this. This promo had targeted me as an existing customer to upgrade with an incentive. I feel that this is fraudulent and deceiving.

Has anyone had this experience? Any suggestions?
Old Nov 21, 2008, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
When I have a problem with miles, I generally log into the website and send an E-mail quoting the relevant passages from the literature (like when double miles on Delta purchases aren't recognized). I'm very precise in what I'm asking for, what's in their literature that leads me to that belief, and polite - that said, I do explain that I have the expectation of receiving the missing miles / credits. With RDMs, AmEx can fix it same day (post to SM) - I'm not sure about MQMs.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by jkapATL
I recently received a promo in the mail offering 10k MQM for upgrading from my current gold skymiles amex card. The promo highlighted that the this is 5k MQM more than normally offered. I accepted the offer and upgraded primarily on the basis that this would put me where i need to achieve medallion status for the year. (I do not see much other value in the additional cost otherwise.)

I received the card and shortly thereafter only 5k MQMs posted to my account. I called amex to investigate and after several inquiries that did not even attempt to answer my question, the have finally written me back concluding that I have "reached the maximum amount of Welcome bonuses". They said this was based on 10k (non-MQM) bonus miles I received when I originally signed up for gold and the 5k MQM that just posted.

I thoroughly re-read the offer letter and fine print and did not see anything relating to this. This promo had targeted me as an existing customer to upgrade with an incentive. I feel that this is fraudulent and deceiving.

Dear jkapATL,

Do you have any further luck in getting the additional 5,000 MQM's from AMEX? I just found my prom letter (expires on 12/16/08) and am considering to apply for it and get the 10,000 MQM's to reach Gold. I also have a gold Amex card but did not receive any MQM's when I signed up.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 9:46 am

Programs: /usr/bin
This problem seems to be happening to many people. See this discussion on the NWA forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...352&highlight=

I also got shafted on my 5K MQM miles. It seems like American Express is resorting to some pretty shady levels to convert people. I exchanged 5 mails with the Indian email center and got consistently conflicting messages and no satisfactory resolution.

What's the next step? Snail mail to customer relations dept?
Old Nov 29, 2008, 9:49 am

Programs: DL Gold, WN A-List, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by jkapATL

I had a very similiar experience earlier this year. I have the Skymiles Business Card. I received the offer to upgrade to platinum. It was a great offer:

Waiver of annual fee for a year
20,000 Skymiles
5,000 MQM's.

How could I not take it with the fee waiver? It was going to cost me less than renewing my existing card.

There was a link on the email that led me to an AMEX form. I noticed the terms and conditions on the link were different than the email's terms. So I called. I got bounced around a few times but finally got a supervisor to look at the text of the email (I faxed it to her). She couldn't believe what it said. She told me that they never waived the fee for an existing customer being upgraded. She also said she thought the 20,000 Skymiles were for new (non AMEX) customers.

She noted in my file that I was to receive the good terms that I had faxed to her.

Of course most of it didn't post as it should have. The 5,000 MQM's did post, but only 5,000 Skymiles. Then the $155.00 fee posted.

It took many phone calls over two complete billing cycles to get it all fixed. I was called a liar by one supervisor when I told her about the terms I was to receive. An appology and an extra 10,000 miles followed after I faxed her the term sheet along with having her look up the previous remarks on my account.

I ended up with the fee being waived, 30,000 Skymiles and 5,000 MQM's plus since then a 10,000 MQM and Skymiles threshold bonus for $25,000 in spending.

Hope this helps you.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred
I've had the same issue, and when I called AMEX, they said they 5k MQM automatically post after the first purchase (which it did for me), and then the 2nd 5k MQM are the promo that will post after 8-12 weeks. I keep calling every week to see when they will post, because I'm banking on them for FO this year.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 3:46 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Always ask to speak to a supervisor. A CSR cannot fix it and the ticket they will open on your behalf will almost never be resolved posititively (and within 4-6 weeks, no less).

A supervisor has the power to fix things - and they usually will when you provide the necessary proof.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 4:44 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Thanks for this info; I also got this offer and was considering it, but since it looks like it causes so much trouble I'm gonna pass.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 5:45 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Forget upgrade to Platinum. I want to know where is the upgrade promo to get to the Reserve card....
Old Dec 1, 2008, 6:23 pm

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
I got an offer to upgrade to reserve via email and it is good thru year end. 25k miles and 10k MQm:

As a valued SkyMiles® member and Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmember from American Express, we are pleased to extend this special, limited time invitation to upgrade to the Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express. With your first purchase, you can earn up to 25,000 miles — 10,000 of which are Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) — as part of this limited time offer1.

Limited-time offer expires December 31, 2008

25,000 Delta SkyMiles (10,000 of which count as Medallion® Qualification Miles) will be awarded after your first purchase on the Delta Reserve Credit Card in the increments of 10,000 as a Welcome Bonus and 15,000 for this special offer. Please allow 8 to 12 weeks after your first purchase for the bonus miles to appear in your Delta SkyMiles account. Upgrades from a Delta SkyMiles® Options Credit Card, Classic Delta SkyMiles Credit Card or a Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card to a Delta Reserve Credit Card will receive 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles. Upgrades from a Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card to a Delta Reserve Credit Card will receive 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles.
I have a plat so only 5k MQM for me. I won't be doing this as I believe the reserve is not worth it unless I am trans-con'ing weekly.

Foo
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:29 pm

Programs: Delta AMEX sky miles
Offer to buy miles

We received a large postcard from AMEX Delta saying if we bought miles before 01 /31/08 we would get a 50% bonus. When I went on line they said it was a holiday special of a 30% bonus. I called sky miles directly and they told me to call AMEX. So we went back and forth and no one gave us an answer. i ended up buying 4,000 miles and they are giving us the 30 %/ I consider this a rip-off. They offer 50% then try to give us 30% What's up?
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by bpoe19
I've had the same issue, and when I called AMEX, they said they 5k MQM automatically post after the first purchase (which it did for me), and then the 2nd 5k MQM are the promo that will post after 8-12 weeks. I keep calling every week to see when they will post, because I'm banking on them for FO this year.
bpoe, did you ever get your 2nd 5k MQMs? I finally did grab this offer on Dec 30th and only had the 5k post so far. I'd like to know what happened with others before going on the offensive with Amex.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
I just don't get why people even carry AMEX

Not accepted as many places, screwed me years ago about the 2x or 3x (I forgot) miles at places like gas stations, convenience stores, whatever, never get another sign up bonus even if YEARs after having one, and too high an annual fee. I can see the MQMs if you need them - and if you REALLY EVER GET THEM - but I would not need these, so they are worthless to me.

I view AMEX as the greedy shifty card among credit cards.

Can someone sell me on AMEX outside of the DELTA miles?????
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by srodr
bpoe, did you ever get your 2nd 5k MQMs? I finally did grab this offer on Dec 30th and only had the 5k post so far. I'd like to know what happened with others before going on the offensive with Amex.
bpoe, or anyone else, did you ever get your 2nd 5k MQMs? I finally did take this offer on Dec 30th and still have only had the 5k post so far, and also have not received any of the other 15 or 20k non-MQM miles offered.

I'd like to know what happened with others before going on the offensive with Amex.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by srodr
bpoe, or anyone else, did you ever get your 2nd 5k MQMs? I finally did take this offer on Dec 30th and still have only had the 5k post so far, and also have not received any of the other 15 or 20k non-MQM miles offered.

I'd like to know what happened with others before going on the offensive with Amex.
I received a similar upgrade offer, with the the 10K MQM offer. I received the 10K, in 5K increments, both on the same day 06 jan. Was hoping to get them to count towards 08 status, but no luck so far. I have another post about the same thing. Good luck getting your other 5K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.