FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex Delta platinum skymiles upgrade promo
Old Nov 29, 2008, 9:49 am
PCMflyer

Programs: DL Gold, WN A-List, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by jkapATL
I thoroughly re-read the offer letter and fine print and did not see anything relating to this. This promo had targeted me as an existing customer to upgrade with an incentive. I feel that this is fraudulent and deceiving.

Has anyone had this experience? Any suggestions?

I had a very similiar experience earlier this year. I have the Skymiles Business Card. I received the offer to upgrade to platinum. It was a great offer:

Waiver of annual fee for a year
20,000 Skymiles
5,000 MQM's.

How could I not take it with the fee waiver? It was going to cost me less than renewing my existing card.

There was a link on the email that led me to an AMEX form. I noticed the terms and conditions on the link were different than the email's terms. So I called. I got bounced around a few times but finally got a supervisor to look at the text of the email (I faxed it to her). She couldn't believe what it said. She told me that they never waived the fee for an existing customer being upgraded. She also said she thought the 20,000 Skymiles were for new (non AMEX) customers.

She noted in my file that I was to receive the good terms that I had faxed to her.

Of course most of it didn't post as it should have. The 5,000 MQM's did post, but only 5,000 Skymiles. Then the $155.00 fee posted.

It took many phone calls over two complete billing cycles to get it all fixed. I was called a liar by one supervisor when I told her about the terms I was to receive. An appology and an extra 10,000 miles followed after I faxed her the term sheet along with having her look up the previous remarks on my account.

I ended up with the fee being waived, 30,000 Skymiles and 5,000 MQM's plus since then a 10,000 MQM and Skymiles threshold bonus for $25,000 in spending.

Hope this helps you.