Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL/NW Reciprocal Upgrades Starting October 28

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2008, 5:11 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*
My outbound trip leaves on 11/3 and had not cleared by 11:00pm last night (6 days). I checked this morning (5 days) and it had cleared. It seems that the 6-day "early" clearing is not a hard rule. In any case, I'm not complaining.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Citrix Trainer
My outbound trip leaves on 11/3 and had not cleared by 11:00pm last night (6 days). I checked this morning (5 days) and it had cleared. It seems that the 6-day "early" clearing is not a hard rule. In any case, I'm not complaining.
The "window" is kind of fluid. Generally, if you are going to get upgraded at the first opportunity it will occur sometime in the 5-6 day range for Plats. 3-4 days for Golds, and about 48 hours for Silvers. If you don't clear by your window, there is a fair chance you will be fighting for a gate upgrade. (although sometimes upgrades do occur after one's window)
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott lifetime Ti, USMC
I'm NW Silver and DL PM. I just went to two existing NW reservations-- all operated by, coded by, and purchased from NW-- and plugged in my SM number. The reservations page now shows my DL number, but still says "Silver Elite" next to it-- not exactly what I was expecting!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by paulr
I'm NW Silver and DL PM. I just went to two existing NW reservations-- all operated by, coded by, and purchased from NW-- and plugged in my SM number. The reservations page now shows my DL number, but still says "Silver Elite" next to it-- not exactly what I was expecting!
Right...when plugging in DL number it shows your status as METAL TYPE - Elite instead of METAL TYPE - Medallion.

I'm assuming the NW IT people just found it easier to add some code that said:

Check DL_status
IF DL_status = PM
then NW_status = Platinum_Elite
IF DL_status = GM
then NW_status = Gold_Elite
IF DL_status = SM
then NW_status = Silver_Elite
IF DL_Status = NONE
then begin
NW_status = NONE
seat_assign_middle = broken_near_lav
seat_assign_window = search(passanger_of_size)
seat_assign_aisle = search(passanger_with_teething_baby)
send_junkmail(passanger_ID);

Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by humanoid94
The "window" is kind of fluid. Generally, if you are going to get upgraded at the first opportunity it will occur sometime in the 5-6 day range for Plats.
I'd second this... my DTW-SEA flight is 6 days out and they have NOT run EUA because the number of F seats is the same AND the coach cabin is still packed with every single "P" seat taken!

When I was flying as NW GE I would check the seat map at 5 days out because usually the people who do clear had good "P" seats in the back so I like to try to get one that had opened up.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Burj
Right...when plugging in DL number it shows your status as METAL TYPE - Elite instead of METAL TYPE - Medallion.

Check DL_status
IF DL_status = PM
IF DL_status = GM
IF DL_status = SM
IF DL_Status = NONE
then begin
NW_status = NONE

^ ^ ^
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM 1MM™, Alaska MVPG75K, Marriott LTTE, United SE, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by GVA
Nice to hear that. Just a quick note that on NW the 5-day window actually clears 6 days out.
This is actually true for DL as well - to some degree. The script actually runs at about 10pm EST the day before the window opens, so then you get the upgrade email overnight.

Thus, PMs clear in the system at 6 days before at 10pm, GMs at 4 days before at 10pm, and FOs at 2 days before at 10pm.

I have a reminder set to tell me to go check my itineraries on DL.com at 6 days out at 10pm and in the unfortunate case that the upgrade didn't clear, I can at least snag a better seat from the PMs that were upgraded.

I can't say 100% that the timing will be the same for NW Elites on DL flights, just because of the possible delay in transferring the seat/class information from the DL system to NW system, but I can almost guarantee that it will be overnight before the 5/3/1 day(s) out.

If any NW Elites care to test and let us know, that'd be awesome!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by paulr
Call NW to fix this if you are hoping for the early UG. As a former NW Elite, I believe your record now has both your NW and DL FF#s, and the computer system is reading the first one to get your status. You need an agent to manually pull the NW FF# out of your PNR--when that's accomplished, the computer should recognize your PM status.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
Call NW to fix this if you are hoping for the early UG. As a former NW Elite, I believe your record now has both your NW and DL FF#s, and the computer system is reading the first one to get your status. You need an agent to manually pull the NW FF# out of your PNR--when that's accomplished, the computer should recognize your PM status.
I can tell you that that doesn't work. (look for my posts in another thread). I called NW three times to try to get it to work (and they were nice about it and tried), where they first removed my NW# (or tried, but it didn't work), then did it again a different way (which removed it enough that when I logged into NWA.com with my WP# the PNR didn't show up), and then un-checked me in. When the EUA ran that night, it didn't upgrade me (there was R availability), and I wasn't automatically put on the gate list for the upgraded.

At the battlefield, the agents (after I explained that the reciprocal stuff started that day -- the first agent at LGA didn't know, but believed me, the agent at the MEM WC already knew) put me on the list, and I got 1/2 upgrades.

At MEM, the conversation went like this:
Me: Can you please check to see if I'm on the upgrade list.
Agent: Sure, let me check... No, it doesn't look like you are, would you like me to add you?
Me: Yes, thanks.
Agent: How will you be paying for this today, sir? with Miles?
Me: Err, I thought today..
Agent: Oh, yes, Delta... OK, you're on the list now.. Hmm, doesn't look good though, you're second, but there's one seat free.
Me: Thanks, I'll cross my fingers.

Anyway, it was kinda amusing, but either another DL person went by already, or they did send out some kind of communication; this was around 8AM on Tuesday.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I am on a Delta coded NW operated flight on Friday and I received my upgrade without doing anything. I did not get a seat assignment which I had to do manually.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM
While checking in for my NWA flight tomorrow, nwa.com asked if I would like a complimentary upgrade to First Class, to which I said hell ya... anyway, I have been put on the airport list.

Question is, why didnt they automatically put me on the list based on upgrade window? If I had not checked in till tomorrow before the flight, I wouldnt have been put on the upg list till checkin time???
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:01 pm

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
If I pull up a NW reservation (with my DL Skymiles number in the reservation, reflecting Silver Elite status) on nwa.com, am I supposed to see any mention of the upgrade being requested (like I do on delta.com)? I just called NW and they said nothing will be visible online. She said it was an automated process and I should be notified on the status when my window starts. This did not sound right to me.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL

Check DL_status
IF DL_status = PM
IF DL_status = GM
IF DL_status = SM
IF DL_Status = NONE
then begin
NW_status = NONE

Funniest thing I have read in a LONG time!!!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by kahuna613
If I pull up a NW reservation (with my DL Skymiles number in the reservation, reflecting Silver Elite status) on nwa.com, am I supposed to see any mention of the upgrade being requested (like I do on delta.com)? I just called NW and they said nothing will be visible online. She said it was an automated process and I should be notified on the status when my window starts. This did not sound right to me.
What you were told is correct. There is no indication on-line regarding upgrading. The EUA (Elite Upgrade Automation) simply runs and if you are granted an upgrade you are notified (based on your notification preferences). If you are NOT upgraded before you check in, when you check in it asks if you want to upgrade and it might upgrade you then (based on availability), otherwise it puts you on the upgrade list. HOWEVER, unlike DL, after you check-in you can see on-line where you are on the stand by upgrade list, it will say #4 of 10 or something like that...
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
What you were told is correct. There is no indication on-line regarding upgrading.
Yes, there is. Watch your fare class & seat assignment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.