Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW: 100% bonus on transferred miles in Oct.!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2008, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Gandhi90s
He's not calculating correctly. All he has to do is to move 9K from the 9.75K, 18K from the 18K, 23K from the 23.9K, and 6K from the 81K, all into the 28K account. With the bonus, the 28K account will now have 140K. Now he can get his 7 35K tickets. Total cost: $736 by my calculation. So it's $286 more (not $240) if done correctly.

However, if you can get a Budget location to rent you multiple cars without driving them off the lot, it's definitely a better deal. Don't forget, though, that if the kids are minors, they will not be able to rent under their own names and FF numbers, so some transfer fees will still apply.
Thanks for thinking this through Gandhi. I can't do the Budget deal as I mentioned in another post (no corporate ownership here).

So, I'm left with the question of whether it is worthwhile to move miles or not. The bottom miles cost for Hawaii is now 40K on Delta. And, with several hours of searching, I was unable to find even one 40K ticket at any time of the year on the routes I want to fly. I do find tickets for 52.5K, 65K, 77.5K, and 90K. My plan is to combine all of the miles into one account so that I can use them instead of cash for holiday travel to Maui. Based on my searches, I believe that it is likely that I can get tickets for at least 77.5K miles if I purchase 331 days out (and I would not be surprised to get them as low as 52.5K). But, the unknown of what the miles requirement will be makes me think it would be best to put all of the miles into one account and use as many as necessary for as long as they last.

Putting all of the miles into the 81K account would allow the most flexibility. But, perhaps I should put all of the miles other than the 81K account into the 41K account. The owner of the that account does continue to fly a few Delta trips per year and I would have the flexibility to use the 81K or not and the initial outlay would be cheaper. The downside would be a greater likelihood of orphan miles.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by sdflyer04
Thanks for thinking this through Gandhi. I can't do the Budget deal as I mentioned in another post (no corporate ownership here).

So, I'm left with the question of whether it is worthwhile to move miles or not. The bottom miles cost for Hawaii is now 40K on Delta. And, with several hours of searching, I was unable to find even one 40K ticket at any time of the year on the routes I want to fly. I do find tickets for 52.5K, 65K, 77.5K, and 90K. My plan is to combine all of the miles into one account so that I can use them instead of cash for holiday travel to Maui. Based on my searches, I believe that it is likely that I can get tickets for at least 77.5K miles if I purchase 331 days out (and I would not be surprised to get them as low as 52.5K). But, the unknown of what the miles requirement will be makes me think it would be best to put all of the miles into one account and use as many as necessary for as long as they last.

Putting all of the miles into the 81K account would allow the most flexibility. But, perhaps I should put all of the miles other than the 81K account into the 41K account. The owner of the that account does continue to fly a few Delta trips per year and I would have the flexibility to use the 81K or not and the initial outlay would be cheaper. The downside would be a greater likelihood of orphan miles.

Thoughts?
I just did the math and the problem with my new plan is that I could end up with orphan miles in both accounts and I would only have enough miles for 3 tickets at 80K, instead of 4 tickets at 80K. Of course, I'd save about $500. Hhhmm. Still thinking. Any thoughts welcome.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 7:23 am

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Just transferred 19,000 from my 6 year old Kids account, the miles were got for free and were about to expire on December 31st.

Cost $220 (€170) or $0.0058 per Mile (€0.0045)

I'm a PM with a current balance of 275,000

Good deal?
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:09 am

Programs: Ryanair PLATINUM : ) TK GOLD, AZ Gold, Radisson - gold,Marriott - gold
Smile 100% bonus

can anyone let us know how much time does DL need to send these miles from 1 account to the other?

and if the 100% bonus is immediately calculated?

thanks
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:46 am

I have done two transfers, one posted in a hour or two the other has yet to post (I did it yesterday). The bonus did not post but that is no surprise since the terms and conditions state that it will post in 4 to 6 weeks.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:44 am

Can anyone confirm that you can get more than 30K in bonus? For example, if my child has 40K in her account, can I transfer all 40K in two bunches and still get 40K in bonus miles? I've read all I can on the website and flyertalk and I can't see the answer. I'm assuming that the 30K limit on transfers is there to make sure that you pay another $30 for anything above 30K. But, I will need to change my plan if there is a hard limit of 30K in bonuses. Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Can anyone confirm that you can get more than 30K in bonus? For example, if my child has 40K in her account, can I transfer all 40K in two bunches and still get 40K in bonus miles? I've read all I can on the website and flyertalk and I can't see the answer. I'm assuming that the 30K limit on transfers is there to make sure that you pay another $30 for anything above 30K. But, I will need to change my plan if there is a hard limit of 30K in bonuses. Thanks.
No limit on the bonus. I believe transfers out are limited to 150K per account. The 30K individual transaction limit is just to make you pay multiple $30 fees.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Great, all we need is another source of mileage inflation. In effect, this is selling miles @ 1 cent ea.

More miles on the books = more reasons for DL to devalue SkyPiles even more. SkyPiles' integrity seems to diminish daily.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 3:42 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Can anyone confirm that you can get more than 30K in bonus?
I went through the promo front page T&Cs (and the additional "Terms & Conditions" as well as the "Additional terms & conditions"--three levels of T&Cs, the last being detailed legalese ) and couldn't find any restrictions (other than the 150k out & 300k in totals, and the 30k limit per transaction) on mileage transfer limits. The T&Cs do state that "Bonus miles will be awarded for all transfer miles transactions made during this time period."
Old Oct 12, 2008, 4:00 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Any guesses as to if the 300k transfer-in limit amount includes the double mileage bonus (and so actually limiting one to 150k of paid transfer-in mileage)?

This may very well be a moot point given the large amount referred to, but it really would be unfortunate for someone to have 300k transferred in only to find out later that the bonuses aren't posting as the 300k limit has already been reached.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 11:35 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Originally Posted by IRISHFLYER1
Just transferred 19,000 from my 6 year old Kids account, the miles were got for free and were about to expire on December 31st.

Cost $220 (€170) or $0.0058 per Mile (€0.0045)

I'm a PM with a current balance of 275,000

Good deal?
I think so. I'm going to do the same with miles from an orphan account that I set up for my son's previous au pair. Her 16,000 miles are worthless to anyone in her account (she's back in Panama and won't be flying before the miles expire). I'll add 32K to my account which will put me over 600,000 SkyMiles.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 11:37 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Originally Posted by DoubleJ
Any guesses as to if the 300k transfer-in limit amount includes the double mileage bonus (and so actually limiting one to 150k of paid transfer-in mileage)?

This may very well be a moot point given the large amount referred to, but it really would be unfortunate for someone to have 300k transferred in only to find out later that the bonuses aren't posting as the 300k limit has already been reached.
I'd be willing to bet that the 300K transfer-in limit does NOT include the bonus. Those are bonus miles given by delta, not transferred miles.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by PDX-RDM-AVL-TPA
I'd be willing to bet that the 300K transfer-in limit does NOT include the bonus. Those are bonus miles given by delta, not transferred miles.
Fwiw, I had a lengthy email conversation about this question with DL during the last miles transfer bonus promo (in Spring), and never received a conclusive answer. I personally would not be willing to place a $1650 bet that the 150,000 "bonus" miles don't count toward the limit.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by tormapleaf
Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I certainly cannot find a SUV for $25 or $35 at Budget in MSY.
----------------------
I know the feeling;can't find anything at $35.00 per intermediate SUV except in BWI!

PS. You're not doing anything wrong. I think Budget decided to up the rates because of the popularity of DL miles promo which affected supply/demand.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
Fwiw, I had a lengthy email conversation about this question with DL during the last miles transfer bonus promo (in Spring), and never received a conclusive answer. I personally would not be willing to place a $1650 bet that the 150,000 "bonus" miles don't count toward the limit.
The bonus miles never count for limit. for e.g. lots of buyers bought miles for 100% bonus.. they boughht 50k miles and annual limit of purchase is 50k miles.. they still got the bonus...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.