Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW: 100% bonus on transferred miles in Oct.!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2008, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Arrow NEW: 100% bonus on transferred miles in Oct.!

"Terms & Conditions:
Transaction must be completed on delta.com between October 1 and October 31, 2008. Bonus mile offer expires October 31, 2008. Bonus miles will be awarded for all transfer miles transactions made during this time period. Bonus miles will be awarded to the recipient of the miles."

This is even better than the 25% each for giver & givee which expired yesterday. I infer that DL has found that nobody wants to pay their outrageous transfer fee unless they get a big bonus in return.
Finally, this bonus more than overshadows the fee!

Time to hunt for orphan miles on tCC & points.com 's GPX!
Old Oct 1, 2008, 6:02 am

I've seen people sell miles on craigslist too
Old Oct 1, 2008, 1:55 pm

interesting

so if you found a friend/relative who has miles in his/her account and transferred them to each other, you'd essentialy be buying miles form 1 cpm?

i read the T&Cs and didn't find anything preventing you from doing this. i may be wrong, though.

Last edited by mirobatka; Oct 1, 2008 at 2:11 pm
Old Oct 1, 2008, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AAdvantage, WorldPerks, HHonors, Dividend Miles
how long to post ?
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:44 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Nice find.

Here's a link.

Unlike the last promo, this one is shown right on Delta's main transfer miles page. I think the last one was targeted. I received it directly but the account where I want to transfer miles from didn't. I'm definitely using this to transfer some orphan miles from friends/family into my account. Heck, it might even be worth it to transfer miles from accounts currently being used into my account - since I'm Platinum my miles are worth more (no ticketing fees or change fees for award tickets).
Old Oct 1, 2008, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Delta's printing miles faster than the Fed's printing US dollars
Old Oct 2, 2008, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by dago
how long to post ?
Per the T&C's: Bonus miles will be posted to both members accounts 4-6 weeks after the transfer transaction.

The underlining above is mine, this really confuses me as I'm under the impression that only the recipient receives any bonus miles, not both members: Between October 1 - 31, 2008, whenever you transfer miles to a friend or family member on delta.com, your recipient will receive a 100% mileage bonus. For example, if you transfer 10,000 miles, your recipient would get 10,000 bonus miles. What a great way to double your miles!

Is the "both members" wording above just an instance of sloppy editing by the folks at SkyMiles or am I missing something?

Last edited by yanxfann; Oct 2, 2008 at 6:09 am
Old Oct 2, 2008, 5:36 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
And a $30 processing fee too. Don't forget that. .005 cpm plus some.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 5:39 am

There's more fine print to be aware of. I assume this means that you cannot receive this bonus on transferred miles if they were previously bought from Delta or received as a gift (from the Buy or Gift programs) as opposed to earned in other ways:

Terms & Conditions
Offer Eligibility:
Transaction must be completed on delta.com between October 1 and October 31, 2008. Bonus mile offer expires October 31, 2008. Bonus miles will be awarded for all transfer miles transactions made during this time period. Bonus miles will be awarded to the recipient of the miles. Offer does not apply to miles purchased under the SkyMiles Buy or Gift Miles program. The bonus is eligible only on transactions completed on delta.com. Bonus miles will be posted to both members accounts 4-6 weeks after the transfer transaction. Transfer Miles may only be donated and received by SkyMiles accounts that have been established for at least 60 days and have a Total Lifetime Balance greater than zero.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 5:46 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
I am waiting for the %100 bonus on transfer from AMEX MR to my account.

Cheers
Old Oct 2, 2008, 6:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
Not a good deal and a very confusing offer

[QUOTE=mirobatka;10455094 you'd essentialy be buying miles form 1 cpm?.[/QUOTE]

The cost is $.01 per mile, but they give you 2 miles for every mile. In addition, you will be charged a $30 fee. So, it really costs .005+ per mile. The transfer offer for 30,000 miles will cost 30,000 x $.01=$300 +$30 fee =$330. The fine print is confusing --Who will get the bonus miles, the originator or the recipient. Someone in Delta.com needs to clarify this item.

By contrast, the current Delta/Budget promotion is providing 7,500 miles for a SUV rental. For me at IAD, for $30 I get 7,500 miles at $.004 per mile. This is a rather simple way to get miles, i.e. for $120 I get 30,000 miles (btw, 30,000 is the maximum transfer on the Delta miles transfer). With the Delta Budget promo I can get 60,000 miles for $240 (8 rentals @ $30) That is 7,500 miles x 8 rental.

Overall, my thought on this offer, I rather rent Budget cars and pay $.004 per mile (and I am just renting to get the miles). If you rent cars anyway, the Budget bonus offer gives you 7,500 free miles
Old Oct 2, 2008, 6:25 am

Seems clear to me who will receive the Bonus Miles:

Terms & Conditions:

1/ Transaction must be completed on delta.com between October 1 and October 31, 2008. Bonus mile offer expires October 31, 2008. Bonus miles will be awarded for all transfer miles transactions made during this time period. Bonus miles will be awarded to the recipient of the miles. Offer does not apply to miles purchased under the SkyMiles Buy or Gift Miles program. The bonus is eligible only on transactions completed on delta.com. Bonus miles will be posted to the recipient's account 4-6 weeks after the transfer transaction is complete.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 6:30 am

Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
Terms and Conditions not clear

"Bonus miles will be awarded to the recipient of the miles. Offer does not apply to miles purchased under the SkyMiles Buy or Gift Miles program. The bonus is eligible only on transactions completed on delta.com. Bonus miles will be posted to both members accounts 4-6 weeks after the transfer transaction."

The T & C's are not clear. Can someone email delta.com and ask them to clarify.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by whynotgo
The T & C's are not clear. Can someone email delta.com and ask them to clarify.
Why don't you email them and let us know how it turns out?
Old Oct 2, 2008, 7:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This kind of "bonus" is no surprise.

DL makes money on selling miles (even in this way) and that it makes more money than ever before when SkyMiles members -- attempt to -- redeem miles for a trip and have to pay more fees and more expensive fees than all the other frequent flyer programs of US airlines.

Between the devaluation of SkyMiles through the three-tier award chart and the bunch of DL fees that DL wants to slap customers with upon redeeming a ticket, DL is going to keep allowing various kinds of "rich" promotions to try to grab the attention of people who haven't necessarily fully digested how SkyMiles has become SlyMiles to con them out of more money and miles than originally marketed by DL and DL SkyMiles partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.