Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Orders Two More 777Ls

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Would DL need "Seventh Freedom" to fly BOM-HKG?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedoms_of_the_air
As long as on paper there is a US city on either end it would be Fifth Freedom w/ Beyond and Intermediate sub-freedoms. I.e. NW has MSP-NRT-HKG because of fifth freedoms.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by RobertS975
OK, are we really sure that this is a new order above and beyond what has already been announced? So far, I cannot find this news elsewhere.
Yes, these are two new orders. It was already mentioned during Delta's Q2 2008 Financial Results release:

http://news.delta.com/article_text/P...2Q08_FINAL.pdf

On Page 5 near the bottom, it says that Delta has exercised options for 2 777-200LRs for delivery in early 2010. With these two, there will be a total of 10 772LRs and 8 772ERs in the fleet.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
deleted

Last edited by RobertS975; Aug 11, 2008 at 12:36 pm Reason: Clipper Delta answered the question
Old Aug 11, 2008, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Nurburgring in 8:29
Put it back on ATL-LAX!!!
Old Aug 11, 2008, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL HH
Im emailing SMS and specifically requesting that one be held in reserve and tied to my FF number.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by firstmob
Question Can 3 777LR's do a ATL-BOM-ATL-HKG-ATL routing on a daily basis?
Yes, I believe so. I think its should be work out very well for ATL-HKG-ATL-BOM by -200LR. You will see from DL will expect to have another announcement new routes from ATL-HKG sometimes in few months later.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by photojojo
Put it back on ATL-LAX!!!
No, absolutely not! Because 777 is no longer exist service in domestic USA.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Global Services
Here is the text from the Aviation Week report

Originally Posted by RobertS975
OK, are we really sure that this is a new order above and beyond what has already been announced? So far, I cannot find this news elsewhere.
Since a web link requires username and password for access, I have pasted the text of the report below:

News Breaks
Americas
Meanwhile, 777s Are Gaining
Aviation Week & Space Technology
08/11/2008 , page 18

Boeing has pushed its 777 order count to 46 for the year thanks to British Airways and Delta Air Lines. BA bought two 777-300ERs directly and will lease two more from GE Commercial Aviation Services that were previously carried as unidentified on Boeings web site. Delta ordered two more ultra-long-range 777-200LRs. Boeing also gained a 737 Business Jet order, raising its net total for the year to 551.

koppelman
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Global Services
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I love Cape Town and would welcome nonstop service, but there's just not enough traffic, particularly premium yield traffic, to make that route work with a 777 nonstop.

I do think JNB may be in line for nonstop service, but there are these lingering issues about whether the return would be payload restricted because of JNB's high elevation and frequently-warm temperatures.

There is also the question of what happens to the scissor operation at DKR if you put JNB nonstop. Either you have to come up with a different city in Africa to serve from DKR, or you have to eliminate either ATL or JFK from the DKR mix. Perhaps the other candidate will be Nairobi.

My proposal is to operate a routing of ATL-JNB-CPT-ATL. CPT is sea level so I think the 77L would be fine from a payload standpoint, and you can still market the nonstop service to/from South Africa. The JNB-CPT leg is only about two hours during daylight, which to me would be preferable to the middle-of-the-night wakeup in DKR for JNB-originating passengers returning to the U.S.
Interesting points Robert Leach
• Does a gateway of ATL make more financial sense than JFK? Technically JFK-JNB southbound is feasible. SAA did it with their 744s.
• What is the rationale for serving DKR at all if not for a refueling stop?
• JNB has a 14, 494 ft runway. I wonder if this is long enough to reach rotational velocity at JNB's altitude with all auxiliary fuel tanks filled and all seats occupied.
• Do you know if the 777Ls delivered to Delta are equipped with the maximum number of auxiliary fuel tanks?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:49 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by koppelman
Interesting points Robert Leach
• Does a gateway of ATL make more financial sense than JFK? Technically JFK-JNB southbound is feasible. SAA did it with their 744s.
Yes, as JFK is a horrible connecting hub whereas ATL is much stronger.

SAA also flew nonstop ATL-JNB for several years on the 744 (as well as ATL-CPT three days a week during the early phases of service), so either city is fine eastbound if you have the right plane.

• What is the rationale for serving DKR at all if not for a refueling stop?
Probably none, as I don't think the O&D traffic there is much at all (certainly not to ATL, perhaps OK to JFK).

• JNB has a 14, 494 ft runway. I wonder if this is long enough to reach rotational velocity at JNB's altitude with all auxiliary fuel tanks filled and all seats occupied.
I don't have the expertise to answer this, but from what others have said it probably wouldn't have any cargo capability in this case, despite the runway.

• Do you know if the 777Ls delivered to Delta are equipped with the maximum number of auxiliary fuel tanks?
My understanding is that they don't have the maximum auxiliary fuel tank configuration, but I could be wrong on this.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
My understanding is that they don't have the maximum auxiliary fuel tank configuration, but I could be wrong on this.
Back in March, DL went to Boeing looking for ways to add range to the 777-200LR via aux. fuel tanks and tweaking the engine.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...777-200lr.html
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:17 am

Programs: DL 3MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by N830MH
No, absolutely not! Because 777 is no longer exist service in domestic USA.
Hence my post.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 9:55 am

There will be an additional 6 repeat 6 777LR's coming on line for Delta between 12/31/08-3/31/09. This is alot of new capacity just where is Delta going to fly these birds?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by firstmob
There will be an additional 6 repeat 6 777LR's coming on line for Delta between 12/31/08-3/31/09. This is alot of new capacity just where is Delta going to fly these birds?
Well, if those 6 are utilized at maximum efficiency, it will allow DL to start 4 new routes on a daily basis (two across the Pacific, and two across the Atlantic)...
Old Aug 12, 2008, 2:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Well, if those 6 are utilized at maximum efficiency, it will allow DL to start 4 new routes on a daily basis (two across the Pacific, and two across the Atlantic)...
But, hopefully, they operate for a month or two at less than maximum efficiency/utilization and take the time needed to retrofit the ER birds with the BE suites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.