Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Eastern Hub Skinny

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by mdaecher
While I would love a PC in the D terminal, I just go to C if I have a worthy layover to justify the trip. So, I suppose CVG would be no different based upon your description.
Did something change? There used to be a PC in D.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:12 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by georgemma
The OP asked about food, and it is lousy beyond imaginable at CVG, nothing but the bottom of the rung. Don't even get me started on the TSA staff, the bus-station feeling of C and other things already mentioned. The real question is whether you would prefer to be stuck for 6 hours at ATL or CVG, and the glass is half empty at both.
Not that food is that much better at ATL. I still remember ordering a Caesar Salad at ATL and being offered either blue cheese or thousand island dressing.....

There were a couple of decent food places at CVG, don't know if they still exist with the cutbacks.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
Originally Posted by El Boocho
Did something change? There used to be a PC in D.

Not in CLE.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:05 am

i choose to connect in cvg rather than atl any day! it just doesnt seem as crowded as atl and the agents are more helpful. and i like the food court better.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by cvgflyer2
i choose to connect in cvg rather than atl any day! it just doesnt seem as crowded as atl and the agents are more helpful. and i like the food court better.
Just curious cvgflyer2, is CVG your home airport? Wild guess by me because of your FT username.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Not that food is that much better at ATL. I still remember ordering a Caesar Salad at ATL and being offered either blue cheese or thousand island dressing.....

There were a couple of decent food places at CVG, don't know if they still exist with the cutbacks.
I'm not impressed by the food offerings at either CVG or ATL. It's all generic chains. SFO and AUS seem to do a good job with food, but no one else seems to be able to do that.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by Chromegorilla
It costs more to fly out of CVG than ATL.
For connections, the cost is generally identical, though.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is it like DFW where you taxi for 20 mins before getting to the gate?
That happened to me before whenever I landed westward on the northernmost runway, but ever since they opened up Taxiway V, I haven't had to wait more than 5-10 minutes.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
CVG:
The CRJ90's go out of A/B so flying RJs through CVG doesnt mean you'll have to use C...which is as bad as everyone says. I rank it as my second least favorite terminal of all time (next to UA's old express terminal at IAD back when Independence Air was in operation).

I have done a few all-mainline LGA-CVG-West Coast flights recently and CVG was excellent. I wont hesitate doing it again when the fares/schedules dictate it. Some of the those long mid-cons dont get the AVOD 738s though.

ATL:
As previously mentioned, the biggest downside is the lower chance of the medallion upgrade. Otherwise, I like ATL very much. So many mainline flights to so many places (which has it advantages and disadvantages). The small B CRC is awful, but at least its there. Continually improving F&B options in the terminals. Post-merger expect higher gauged aircraft and even more frequencies as MEM gets downsized.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Since CVG is secondary, when things go awry, DL prioritizes ATL flights over CVG.
Is this official? Source?
Originally Posted by georgemma
The OP asked about food, and it is lousy beyond imaginable at CVG, nothing but the bottom of the rung. Don't even get me started on the TSA staff, the bus-station feeling of C and other things already mentioned. The real question is whether you would prefer to be stuck for 6 hours at ATL or CVG, and the glass is half empty at both.
Maybe your glass if half empty? I think of a lot of places that I would dread much more than ATL OR CVG for six hours.

Most of the stuff is still there...at least for now.
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Just curious cvgflyer2, is CVG your home airport? Wild guess by me because of your FT username.
High price refugee?
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I'm not impressed by the food offerings at either CVG or ATL. It's all generic chains. SFO and AUS seem to do a good job with food, but no one else seems to be able to do that.
You must have higher expectations of airport food than most.
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
CVG:
The CRJ90's go out of A/B so flying RJs through CVG doesnt mean you'll have to use C...which is as bad as everyone says.
I am going to defend C a bit. It's not nearly as crowded as before the cutbacks and that makes a big difference. It's generally clean. The walkways out to the gate are climate controlled. No, or very little ASA. Agreed, the buses aren't great but they probably are the best buses in the industry.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:16 pm

Interesting...all I know is NY Center has parked us on the tarmac in MDT many a times on way over to PHL
Strangely enough...MDT is in New York Center airspace.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 7:30 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by indufan
Is this official? Source?
Not official, anecdotal.

Supported by circumstances that I have personally experienced (and my colleagues have experienced) on TATL where ATL metal has either had WX or mechanical issues and the CVG metal was pulled and substituted. It's happened more than once. When queried, DL employees indicated that since ATL is a "more important" market for connections, they will prioritize aircraft to service ATL over CVG.

From a management perspective, that would make sense given that a lot of (former) connections from CVG no longer exist and therefore DL would have more disrupted passengers than delay/cancel of an ATL flight.

Again, nothing official, just word "on the street".
Old Aug 7, 2008, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not official, anecdotal.

Supported by circumstances that I have personally experienced (and my colleagues have experienced) on TATL where ATL metal has either had WX or mechanical issues and the CVG metal was pulled and substituted. It's happened more than once. When queried, DL employees indicated that since ATL is a "more important" market for connections, they will prioritize aircraft to service ATL over CVG.

From a management perspective, that would make sense given that a lot of (former) connections from CVG no longer exist and therefore DL would have more disrupted passengers than delay/cancel of an ATL flight.

Again, nothing official, just word "on the street".
I don't doubt this has happened and for exactly the reasons that you describe. But isn't likely that this is just a persons idea on a particular day that would work given the exact circumstances? Only on TATL? What about domestic?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaDaDan
Actually, it's controlled by Washington Center. Though, depending on which direction you're going, you can end up in New York Center airspace fairly quickly. You pretty much need to be headed south to stay in Washington Center airspace.
I have been thinking about this...are you sure PHL isn't in ZNY territory?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by indufan
I have been thinking about this...are you sure PHL isn't in ZNY territory?
PHL is ZNY control. From Wiki

ZNY assumes control over several Class Bravo (Class B) airports, including
-Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) in Newark/Elizabeth, New Jersey
-LaGuardia Airport (LGA) in New York City, NY
-John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) in New York City, New York
-Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) in Philadelphia/Tinicum Township, Delaware County, PA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yor...Control_Center

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.