Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Award reservation: 1 way available, return not, can I just book one now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award reservation: 1 way available, return not, can I just book one now?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2008, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by lls138
TATL BE flights available on the calendar 6/21: (you figure out the rest)

CDG-MSP on NW 61
LHR-DTW on NW 101
CDG-LAX on AF 78
AMS-PDX on NW 91

these are all available in BE.....NOW
Thanks, but AF78 only had one seat available. I know, so close. But we are two people.

Thanks though!
Old Jul 31, 2008, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by infoseive
Hi Everyone - I'm new to the forum and would like clarification on this thread (and I'm not savvy to the abbreviations folks are using...). I would like to book 3 tix from Wash DC to Athens for next summer. Outbound is available, but return is more than 331 days out. When I booked this same trip 2 years ago the agent booked one way and left it open for me to book the return with no change fees - but we had added taxes, etc, as was expected when we added the return flights. I understand that it's different now.

When I called Delta Skymiles for help, the agent did not suggest booking one-way and paying a change fee - he said that entire trip must be in the 331 days to book. I also understand that using an agent involves paying fees now, which is not out of the question if an agent can offer me help I can't get from the automated booking system.

I want to make sure that I'm not going to throw away money by booking a one-way now and finding out that I can't make the type of change I want when/if the return becomes available. I've got my outbound one-way on hold right now, until Sat night - so I could book a return with a 2 day stay in Athens when I go back to the site on Saturday. We're booking coach - budget travelers trying to get the most for our miles.

What's the best approach - book a one-way and pay for a change by adding a return when the flights are listed OR book a return with a 2 day stay, and pay for a change on the return when flights are listed.

Thanks for your help!
D
You could have started a new thread as this is slightly on and off topic here. I am trying to help frat boy Mikey make the right decision here....

For your issue, you have 3 choices:
1. what you did. Book one way, costs full value, and hope that return is available when the return 331 d window opens (no guarantees) (also makes sure that return windown is before aug 15 when fuel surchages of $50/ticket go into eefect)...pay change fee.
2. Online, book one way, every 2 days, cancel and rebook immediately (no guarantees will be available again) to hold the outbound flight until return window opens...no change fee
3. wait until return window open and then book whole trip...no change fee

Whatever you choose, have fun.

Last edited by lls138; Jul 31, 2008 at 4:28 pm
Old Jul 31, 2008, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
TATL BE flights available on the calendar 6/21: (you figure out the rest)

CDG-MSP on NW 61
LHR-DTW on NW 101
CDG-LAX on AF 78
AMS-PDX on NW 91

these are all available in BE.....NOW
I like it. Thanks so much!

The AMS-PDX looks good for two people.

Now, SMS is saying the flight over isn't working... I know, it sucks.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Thanks, but AF78 only had one seat available. I know, so close. But we are two people.

Thanks though!
I thought I searched 2 seats....hmmm...maybe DL.com got me. What about the others.

You can't have it all.....don't wait for FCO-LAX. Just take the multiple connections with partial coach legs, unless of course, mrs. sorority mikey is a princess who can only have BE, then you need to buy the tix!
Old Jul 31, 2008, 4:31 pm

I like it. Thanks so much!

The AMS-PDX looks good for two people.

Now, SMS is saying the flight over isn't working... I know, it sucks.

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to find ___italian city-AMS (AMS-PDX)-SAN in some combo or another.....even if it is FCO-AMS-PDX-SEA-SAN or something crazy like that.....

what do you mean no outbound? what happened with LAX-SVO-FCO or SAN-LHR?
Old Jul 31, 2008, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to find ___italian city-AMS (AMS-PDX)-SAN in some combo or another.....even if it is FCO-AMS-PDX-SEA-SAN or something crazy like that.....

what do you mean no outbound? what happened with LAX-SVO-FCO or SAN-LHR?
I meant the non-stop LAX-FCO, which apparently existed earlier.

Now, online I can find:

SAN-SEA-LHR

AMS-PDX-SAN

100,000 miles

Before booking, I am gonna try the SMS one more time, see if I get another agent that can find the LAX-FCO and FCO-LAX non-stops on Alitalia.

I really wish we could see the Alitalia flights online somehow. Do they show up on NWA?
Old Jul 31, 2008, 4:42 pm

SAN-SEA-LHR

AMS-PDX-SAN

100,000 miles

I hope you mean 90,000 for BE seats.

issues: you cannot do LHR-italian cities without connecting through AMS or CDG unless you get alitalia metal
therefore AMS/CDG/milan/PRG are more optimal as they are ST hubs.

Don't settle for buying tickets even if OW LHR-wherever...you should get something to work. you have options. i swear
Old Jul 31, 2008, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

I hope you mean 90,000 for BE seats.

issues: you cannot do LHR-italian cities without connecting through AMS or CDG unless you get alitalia metal
therefore AMS/CDG/milan/PRG are more optimal as they are ST hubs.

Don't settle for buying tickets even if OW LHR-wherever...you should get something to work. you have options. i swear
Well, as of this moment, I can't seem to find anything that gets me closer to VCE on the way there.

Also, no, the website is pricing it out at 100,000 miles. I think that is because I am using certain partners, right?

SAN - SEA : Alaska
SEA - LHR : NW

AMS - PDX: NW
PDX - SAN: Alaska
Old Jul 31, 2008, 5:02 pm

no....it is wrong. should be 90,000.....call SMS for better quote. It looks like procrastination is wokring against you. maybe you should just do skychoice coach ticket....SAN-JFK-VCE/FCO
Old Jul 31, 2008, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc

Thanks though!
Also, LL is a PM, Mikey is Silver. There may be an availibility difference
Old Jul 31, 2008, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
Originally Posted by Air Brian
Also, LL is a PM, Mikey is Silver. There may be an availibility difference
No difference in availability for AF flights.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
Also, no, the website is pricing it out at 100,000 miles. I think that is because I am using certain partners, right?

I believe CO and NW TATL business is still 5K additional each way. No, you can't see AZ award availability on NWA.

Last edited by PhilC; Jul 31, 2008 at 8:45 pm
Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:15 pm

again outbound this time (PM search - though i don't this really changes a friggin thing like they say) outbound 2 tix in BE available NOW:

BOS-CDG (AF 337)-FCO (AF 1204)
Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by PhilC
I believe CO and NW TATL is still 5K additional each way. No, you can't see AZ award availability on NWA.
I booked NWA TATL on Dl.com and was 50,000 for coach on sunday.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:17 pm

Well, as of this moment, I can't seem to find anything that gets me closer to VCE on the way there.

what about the aeroflot itin? Have you tried czech through PRG?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.