Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Skymiles a NO-GO on Continental after Jan 1 2009???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles a NO-GO on Continental after Jan 1 2009???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2008, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Wyndham Rewards, Continental, Starwood.
Thanks everyone for the welcomes... Glad to be here.

Hopefully Continental will at least remain with Skyteam thru the end of 2009. I'll keep checking the Delta website hoping to book my February '09 trip to EWR when and if these CO nonstops show up again.

When CO leaves Skyteam it's gonna be a tough choice, whether to continue collecting Skymiles or switch to OnePass. Though Delta nonstops from SoCal to NY are not as convenient I absolutely rake in Skymiles thru various promotions. Since Feb. 2005 I've booked 11 award tickets using Skymiles, all on Continental. I've only purchased one round trip ticket on Delta in the last 5 years.

I'm a platinum AMEX cardholder (good for 55K SM/year), use the Delta Dining Network (bout 15K a year), and can't believe Avis.... I've easilly earned over 50K in Skymiles in the last 6 months (rental is sitting outside as I type this; 1day compact for 30 bucks, 10049 Skymiles!!!)

Earning Skymiles at this rate might leave my no choice but to fly Delta nonstops LAX-JFK.....

K
Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:57 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
SkyMiles accrual?

Bump.

I would assume this to also mean that a ticket purchased on CO for travel in Feb 2009 would eligible for SkyMiles/MQM accrual, no?
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by TTT
I would assume this to also mean that a ticket purchased on CO for travel in Feb 2009 would eligible for SkyMiles/MQM accrual, no?
Yes. CO has NOT announced anything regarding an end date. You're good to go with CO for Feb.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by TTT
Bump.

As mentioned upthread, CO can't leave SkyTeam until at least 9 months after DOJ approval of the DL/NW merger, which is not expected for a few months yet.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
CO's Skyteam contract requires that they wait until the NW/DL merger is approved, and then they must give 9 months notice before leaving. The earliest they could conceivably leave is around July 2009 (NW/DL shareholder vote is scheduled for late Sep).
Good information, but one big caveat: the parties could mutually agree to part ways anytime before then. A contractual agreement can always be revisited and modified or rescinded if all of its parties are game.

In this case, I suspect it is more likely that DL/NW and CO get together and decide to go their own separate ways before the merger approval plus nine months. Does SkyTeam really want a lame duck member? Does CO really want to delay its transition into Star Alliance? In both cases, I think the answer is "no."

As a NW elite that flies CO heavily, I hope that I am wrong. I'd love to have the merger drag on indefinitely and the parties to continue to remain married for nine months beyond that. But I don't think that's in the cards. In fact, my best guess is, come the start of the next frequent flyer year, the divorce will be final. We may be afforded an additional grace period to continue to redeem across airlines, but that window is closing fast.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Aug 6, 2008 at 10:11 pm
Old Aug 7, 2008, 4:13 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Great! Thank you all for the help. In reading CO's FAQs it seems that the phasing out of Sky Team won't begin for at least a year from their announcement which would be June 2009. I will probably wait until October/November to book for Feb anyway, but will keep CO as the top choice for the trip - KE was the only other option and it is $1400/pp more than CO.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by TTT
Great! Thank you all for the help. In reading CO's FAQs it seems that the phasing out of Sky Team won't begin for at least a year from their announcement which would be June 2009. I will probably wait until October/November to book for Feb anyway, but will keep CO as the top choice for the trip - KE was the only other option and it is $1400/pp more than CO.
Remember that some CO fares only accrue 0.5 miles instead of 1.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:00 pm

Where will you no longer be able to go on skyteam when CO leaves?
Old Sep 7, 2008, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Caged
SkyTeam will probably lose some small Texas/southwest destinations. Mexico destinations will still be accessible via Aeromexico but with more circuitous routings for U.S.-originating travelers.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 12:24 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by Caged
The whole of Micronesia
Old Sep 7, 2008, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by apoivre
The whole of Micronesia
Except Guam. Very unfortunate for SkyTeam-flying scuba divers.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 10:33 pm

Caged, best to get with the program, try reading!

Sooner or later, you will want to ask a REAL question, and come up empty!
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:53 am

Location: New Jersey - EWR JFK under duress LGA if all else fails. Anywhere my services are needed
Programs: CO PLAT, HHonors Diamond, Marriot Silver, AA nothing didnt see a diifference as gold :P
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
It will NOT be 1 January 2009.
you are correct.. "Continental intends to end its participation in the SkyTeam Alliance after the last scheduled flight on Oct. 24, 2009."

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US.../alliance.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.