FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Skymiles a NO-GO on Continental after Jan 1 2009??? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/846541-skymiles-no-go-continental-after-jan-1-2009-a.html)

kman73 Jul 19, 2008 2:53 am

Skymiles a NO-GO on Continental after Jan 1 2009???

Hello all,

I'm an avid collector (and user) of Skymiles, use them primarily to fly between my home in southern California (SAN/SNA) and Newark (EWR). Skyteam has been great; I make this trip approx. 3 times a year using Skymiles.. NEVER have trouble redeeming Skysaver awards on Continental redeye flights originating from SAN or SNA to EWR nonstop.

I've already successfully booked one for late October 2008, SNA-EWR-SNA. But I've tried to booking for mid-late Feb 2009 and these Continental flights aren't listed when I try to book an award flight on the Delta website.

I understand Continental will eventually join the Star Alliance and leave Skyteam (NOT good for me!) but hopefully they won't be leaving us Skymiles users in the dust this soon!!

(or am I trying to book too early for 2009?) :confused:

K

Evan! Jul 19, 2008 5:05 am

I don't see the confusion

Being part of SkyTeam means being able to redeem and earn SkyMiles with SkyTeam members. Since CO will no longer be a part of SkyTeam why would you think that they would still allow you to redeem SkyMiles for CO flights? It isn't really leaving you in the dust it is just plain leaving you.

LibFlyer Jul 19, 2008 5:58 am

Originally Posted by kman73 (Post 10058805)
Hello all,

I'm an avid collector (and user) of Skymiles, use them primarily to fly between my home in southern California (SAN/SNA) and Newark (EWR). Skyteam has been great; I make this trip approx. 3 times a year using Skymiles.. NEVER have trouble redeeming Skysaver awards on Continental redeye flights originating from SAN or SNA to EWR nonstop.

I've already successfully booked one for late October 2008, SNA-EWR-SNA. But I've tried to booking for mid-late Feb 2009 and these Continental flights aren't listed when I try to book an award flight on the Delta website.

I understand Continental will eventually join the Star Alliance and leave Skyteam (NOT good for me!) but hopefully they won't be leaving us Skymiles users in the dust this soon!!

(or am I trying to book too early for 2009?) :confused:

K

Has anyone seen an announcement as to exactly when Continental is leaving SkyTeam? I don't find anything on the Delta website.

Evan! Jul 19, 2008 6:25 am

Originally Posted by LibFlyer (Post 10059016)
Has anyone seen an announcement as to exactly when Continental is leaving SkyTeam? I don't find anything on the Delta website.

Logically I would expect a Jan 1 date. Seems like this would be the simplest for customers to wrap themselves around.

geoflyer Jul 19, 2008 6:55 am

For several weeks I have been following the availability of skymiles tickets to Truk (TKK), a destination served only by CO-Micronesia. The flights are still showing availability in May 2009 on CO 957 and 956 on the calendar right up to the booking page. So yes, CO is apparently participating in skymiles in 2009.

HeathrowGuy Jul 19, 2008 7:04 am

Websites share alot of good information these days. All your answers can be found here:

https://www.continental.com/web/en-U.../alliance.aspx

Won't your transition to Star impact Continental customers who are accustomed to booking, checking in, traveling on, and using frequent flyer program benefits on carriers like Northwest, Delta and Air France?

Continental will work to provide a customer friendly transition from SkyTeam to Star. We are known in the industry for being customer friendly, and there will be plenty of time for our customers to use their OnePass miles on SkyTeam carriers, and for SkyTeam customers to use their miles on us. Moreover, after the transition, our customers will be able to earn and redeem miles on the broad array of Star partner airlines, and will have many more choices of destinations than we offer as a member of SkyTeam.

What is the time line for the plans?

We expect the transition period to last at least a year, and many regulatory and other approvals are required before we can implement our plans. Continental and United and the other Star Alliance members will begin making all necessary regulatory and other approvals that are required before we can implement our plans. Continental has obligations to the SkyTeam alliance and to Delta/Northwest for several months after the closing of the proposed Delta/Northwest merger, and plans to transition from SkyTeam to Star by the end of next year in a customer friendly manner.

What will be the process for phasing out of the SkyTeam Alliance?

Continental is committed to making this transition as smooth as possible for our customers. For the time being, there are no changes being made to Continental's participation in the SkyTeam Alliance. OnePass members can continue to earn and redeem miles on SkyTeam airlines and SkyTeam lounge reciprocity continues as usual for SkyTeam Elite Plus members traveling on international SkyTeam itineraries.

tonypct Jul 19, 2008 8:33 am

Not to rehash old thoughts, but this is a huge loss for Skyteam. CO was a terrific alternative when DL didn't go where I wanted to go, or if I wanted a nonstop somewhere. I am going to miss CO. :(

AndyTLe Jul 19, 2008 8:34 am

It will NOT be 1 January 2009.

davetravels Jul 19, 2008 8:43 am

Just a piece of info for you . . .

When I try look at award availability on NWA.com from PIT to EWR or IAH for next year, I only get NW flights connecting in DTW - BUT - when I go into 'More Search Options' and ask for CO flights, they all appear!! So, I wouldn't worry about any super fast transition for CO to leave SkyTeam. If you want CO flights booked with DL miles, you may have to call SMS - and unfortunately pay the phone call fee, unless you're exempt - plus the new fee for booking 'other airlines' - umm, let's see, fuel surcharge. What did I miss?

xliioper Jul 19, 2008 10:28 am

CO's Skyteam contract requires that they wait until the NW/DL merger is approved, and then they must give 9 months notice before leaving. The earliest they could conceivably leave is around July 2009 (NW/DL shareholder vote is scheduled for late Sep). However, I'm guessing the regulators won't approve until near the end of the year, so a fall 2009 departure is more likely.

LibFlyer Jul 19, 2008 11:03 am

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 10059866)
CO's Skyteam contract requires that they wait until the NW/DL merger is approved, and then they must give 9 months notice before leaving. The earliest they could conceivably leave is around July 2009 (NW/DL shareholder vote is scheduled for late Sep). However, I'm guessing the regulators won't approve until near the end of the year, so a fall 2009 departure is more likely.

Very helpful info. Thanks for posting.

AndyTLe Jul 19, 2008 11:09 am

Originally Posted by kman73 (Post 10058805)
Hello all

Lost in the shuffle of all of this... Welcome kman73 to FT.

jbatl Jul 19, 2008 11:14 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

You're probably not a victim of CO's switch to *A. Instead, you're probably a victim of the DL award search tool, which can be very finicky about coughing up award seats on ST partners. Try calling for availability.

Welcome to FT, kman73!

tonypct Jul 19, 2008 11:59 am

Originally Posted by jbatl (Post 10060076)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

You're probably not a victim of CO's switch to *A. Instead, you're probably a victim of the DL award search tool, which can be very finicky about coughing up award seats on ST partners. Try calling for availability.

Welcome to FT, kman73!

That's funny because that is what I was thinking too. But yesterday, I was searching for award tickets on DL using my skymiles to fly my son from IAH to LGA and all I got were CO nonstop flights. That's never happened to me before!

GUWonder Jul 19, 2008 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 10059866)

More or less that's my take too, although I'm not sure if it's just the NW-DL merger item that is the real limiting factor. Either way, if things stay on the current course then no more redemptions on CO will be allowed to SkyMiles members by January 1, 2010.