Wiki Posts
Search

DL ending all service to TOL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2008, 1:01 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ToledoRocket
This is really just a foreshadowing of the death of CVG. Best connecting airport in the US is going away slowly.
I can only assume you're being sarcastic. What is so great about a remote RJ terminal that you have to ride a bus to with no Airline Club at a major hub in this day and age?
Old Jul 8, 2008, 1:22 pm

Yep Lansing is gone at end of August. Here is link to Lansing State Journal story: http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...11/1004/NEWS03
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bigpops
Yep Lansing is gone at end of August. Here is link to Lansing State Journal story: http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...11/1004/NEWS03
My real question is what will happen to the flights out of LAN after the merger. Are they just dropping the current DL flights, and will continue to offer the flights that NW offers now once it goes through? Or will they then drop those flights too? That'd really put a hole in the airport.

And I'm honestly shocked that anyone like CVG. Course, I've always been coming in or out on an RJ, so have to put up with that nonsense C concourse.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by piper28
My real question is what will happen to the flights out of LAN after the merger. Are they just dropping the current DL flights, and will continue to offer the flights that NW offers now once it goes through? Or will they then drop those flights too? That'd really put a hole in the airport.
I would think that NW service would continue. Some of these route cancellations could be seen as a result of the impending merger.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by piper28

And I'm honestly shocked that anyone like CVG. Course, I've always been coming in or out on an RJ, so have to put up with that nonsense C concourse.
I have to say that I enjoy CVG. Having traveled through that airport quite a lot in the last 6 months, it is by far my most loved airport. Even the C concourse. What you give there, you get on taxi times. I will take CVG over any other hub airport DL flies to (JFK/ATL/SLC).

5SP
Old Jul 8, 2008, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I always liked connecting through CVG, especially when there were mainline flights. I cut way back when it became primarily an RJ hub.

Wide open concourses, easy to get from A to B, and far less noisy than ATL.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
How did a thrread about the end of TOL service turn into an homage to CVG?
Old Jul 8, 2008, 3:39 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
How did a thrread about the end of TOL service turn into an homage to CVG?
You're right, Andy. These days, it would be much more likely to turn into a rant about award ticket fuel surcharges.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 4:45 pm

Well...let's see. You know how the C Concourse is divided into 4 sections. For the last week of so...they have closed down one of the sections either after the 9AM bank of flights or ALL day...so Concourse C is kinda shrinking. To the person that said that CVG has 3 TERMINALS. Technically true...but, Terminal 1 for all intents and purposes is closed. Terminal 2 houses AA, US, and UA. Terminal 3, has S5/RP/OH/OO/F8 in Concourse A, DL in Concourse B and RP/OH/EV in Concourse C. Word is Comair will be using some of the Jetbridges in B-West (gates 1-12) for some flights. Talking about a CR in Concourse C...when you enter Concourse C...there is a conference room and offices on the second floor above Moe's and McDonald's. There was some thought to putting a CR up there...but, with the oil prices spiking to ridiculous...it's now just an afterthought.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Well...let's see. You know how the C Concourse is divided into 4 sections. For the last week of so...they have closed down one of the sections either after the 9AM bank of flights or ALL day...so Concourse C is kinda shrinking. To the person that said that CVG has 3 TERMINALS. Technically true...but, Terminal 1 for all intents and purposes is closed. Terminal 2 houses AA, US, and UA. Terminal 3, has S5/RP/OH/OO/F8 in Concourse A, DL in Concourse B and RP/OH/EV in Concourse C. Word is Comair will be using some of the Jetbridges in B-West (gates 1-12) for some flights. Talking about a CR in Concourse C...when you enter Concourse C...there is a conference room and offices on the second floor above Moe's and McDonald's. There was some thought to putting a CR up there...but, with the oil prices spiking to ridiculous...it's now just an afterthought.
Perhaps as CVG shrinks they will be able to move everything into A/B and close C. If OH is taking B1-12 it looks like they may be heading in that direction.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I don't mind CVG at all - then again, I've been doing a really good job of doing mainline-mainline or mainline-to-CRJ-900 connections in the past few months, meaning no Concourse C for me! If you can avoid Concourse C (which doing BOS-CVG-LAS, BOS-CVG-FLL, BOS-CVG-LAX will do...) you're in excellent shape.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Anyone else remember the 727s that used to fly ATL-FWA-TOL-ATL and vv? Those were the days!! Alas, no more....
Old Jul 8, 2008, 9:53 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by skchin
Great, Lansing is gone too! I can't see how Flint or Kalamazoo can be profitable if Lansing isn't.
That's a good question. Looking at the DL schedule for FNT in October and November, FNT has 5 flights on ASA a day with a mix of CRJ and CR7, all to ATL. It's interesting how these are making money (or DL decided to just not cut them).
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
Anyone else remember the 727s that used to fly ATL-FWA-TOL-ATL and vv? Those were the days!! Alas, no more....
Sure do. But those were the days when ATL-TOL cost $800 (or more) R/T. DL could make money on that route back then. Once the LCCs started flying to DTW, you could save several hundred dollars flying to DTW and driving the 60-ish miles. That was the start of the end for DL at TOL.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
I do. We did AUS-ATL-TOL (via FWA) a number of times in the early 90's. I especially enjoyed getting off the plane during the FWA stopover to explore the little air museum in the terminal.

The demise of TOL is very disappointing. It is a very nice airport, incredibly easy to get in and out of. But it is close to DTW, and the local economy is contracting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.