Community
Wiki Posts
Search

70 lb.luggage limit for medallion members?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2008, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
70 lb.luggage limit for medallion members?

I am sure that this has been answered elsewhere, but since I have not located a search feature on this forum, I am begging forgiveness for cluttering things up with an old issue.

We are fairly new to medallion benefits. I have been through what information I can locate on DL web site, but I did not find anything about luggage benefits. Under FAQ's I did find reference to medallion members being permitted three pieces of checked luggage at no additional cost.

My question is about the weight of the luggage. On our current outbound flight my suitcase exceeded 50 lbs and the curbside check-in person made note of that fact. I intended to purchase an additional suitcase to return so I could reduce the weight.

I read on this forum that medallion members were permitted bags weighing a maximum of 70 lbs. I cannot find anything "official" on the DL web site that says that. I finally called DL today and the medallion desk confirmed that all medallion members are authorized to carry a maximum of 70 lbs.

My question: I do not want to buy another suitcase today. If I am over-weight by five or ten pounds do you all think I am going to have a problem when I check my luggage in?
Old May 18, 2008, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I haven't been able to find anything either, although I haven't had any issues with having a bag over 50lbs. The only thing sbout 70lbs I found is this:

Business Elite® and First Class passengers are allowed 3 checked bags at no charge up to 70 lbs.
Old May 18, 2008, 5:08 pm
fomerly CoachBoy

Programs: United Premier Platinum, British Airways Silver
I felw last week with extra bags. Medallions are allow 3 Bags @70lbs with no extra charges.
Old May 18, 2008, 5:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Gold
If the person taking your bag (I'm pretty sure you have to do this inside instead of at the curb) says anything about your bag being overweight, just say you are Medallion and they will let it right through.
Old May 18, 2008, 7:13 pm

Programs: Delta Silver; 0.75MM: AA; Alaska; Southwest
Originally Posted by bvanderhorst
If the person taking your bag (I'm pretty sure you have to do this inside instead of at the curb) says anything about your bag being overweight, just say you are Medallion and they will let it right through.
Works just as well at curbside check-in IME
Old May 18, 2008, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Yuk! I have not used anything but curbside check-in for years. The last time I went inside the airport the line was so long and slow that we nearly missed our flight and we arrived 90 minutes before the flight. I have not seen this discussed anywhere on the forum. Is it still long and slow?
Old May 18, 2008, 7:36 pm

Programs: United Gold, AXP Platinum, Choice Diamond, and Marriott Gold
Since you are a Medallion you get to use the First Class\Medallion check-in, which is often very fast.

Or, if you use the kiosks, check-in has rarely taken more than a few minutes.
Old May 19, 2008, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I was not aware that medallion members had a special line. I seem to be unaware of many benefits of medallion status, and I do not find them on the web site. Should I have received something in the mail explaining my benefits?
Old May 19, 2008, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by flyingfran
Thanks. I was not aware that medallion members had a special line. I seem to be unaware of many benefits of medallion status, and I do not find them on the web site. Should I have received something in the mail explaining my benefits?
https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...ance/index.jsp
Old May 19, 2008, 11:37 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Pretty much every airline allows elites to use Business Class or First Class check in counters.

I'm quite sure that DL's benefit summary will say something like "you get to use Elite/Medallion/First Class check-in counters".
Old May 19, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
I dropped a friend off who is not a medallion member to check a bag curbside. The bag was overweight by about 10 lbs. The agent was going to charge her but I flashed my medallion card and he let it go. He knew that I was not flying that day. I thanked him and added a larger tip to the kitty.
Old May 19, 2008, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond,Holiday Inn Dia Ambassador ,AA Gold
I am sure that this has been answered elsewhere, but since I have not located a search feature on this forum, I am begging forgiveness for cluttering things up with an old issue.

We are fairly new to medallion benefits. I have been through what information I can locate on DL web site, but I did not find anything about luggage benefits. Under FAQ's I did find reference to medallion members being permitted three pieces of checked luggage at no additional cost.

My question is about the weight of the luggage. On our current outbound flight my suitcase exceeded 50 lbs and the curbside check-in person made note of that fact. I intended to purchase an additional suitcase to return so I could reduce the weight.

I read on this forum that medallion members were permitted bags weighing a maximum of 70 lbs. I cannot find anything "official" on the DL web site that says that. I finally called DL today and the medallion desk confirmed that all medallion members are authorized to carry a maximum of 70 lbs.

My question: I do not want to buy another suitcase today. If I am over-weight by five or ten pounds do you all think I am going to have a problem when I check my luggage in?
Never been a problem for me. They do not really even look at the weight when you check in on the medallion line
Old May 19, 2008, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, going for Gold this year
Originally Posted by CoachBoy
I felw last week with extra bags. Medallions are allow 3 Bags @70lbs with no extra charges.
Is that 3 bags at 70 lbs each bag, or 70 lbs total for the 3 bags?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 19, 2008, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by SANDIEGO
Is that 3 bags at 70 lbs each bag, or 70 lbs total for the 3 bags?
Each.
Old May 28, 2008, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA, DL, Marriott, Hilton
Question

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Each.
What about this scenario:

Flying ICN-ATL on an upgraded BE ticket but connecting to ATL-SYR on a CR7 that only has one cabin (Y), so my original fare class (B) is still there. Do I get to check three bags by virtue of my ICN-ATL BE segment or am I restricted to 2 because of the connecting flight on the RJ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.