Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here we go again - V inventory, no upgrade....

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2008, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Here we go again - V inventory, no upgrade....

Can someone help me out here...

I am on DL 1765 from DEN to ATL on 5/15 and listed as "Requested" for the upgrade. I am within the window and the seat inventory is the following:

- 14 F Seats
- 7 of them are V upgrade seats

I called DL SMS and asked why that leg did not clear and they said "There are no seats available and all the upgrades have cleared...."

As I look in expert flyer, there are available seats but they are not clearing. I thought maybe they were not assigned, but the automatic upgrade system confirms seat assignments...

What is going on here? Any ideas?
Old May 12, 2008, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Call SMS again, and again, until you find an agent that is willing to help you. It has been said here many times before - there are people in every Call Center that do anything possible to clear the call without any real work. Try calling until someone gives you something other than the pat answer.
Old May 12, 2008, 7:42 am
Original Poster

On the phone with them now and the same run around..... "No, I can't see that and there is nothing we can do....."

Ughh....
Old May 12, 2008, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I just went to 'book' that flight on DL's website... it shows as 'request only' even though I'm within the window. A few earlier flights show the upgrade as available. The seatmap is showing 14 F open. At least nobody else is getting cleared at the moment, and with that many seats you should clear at the gate. Doesn't make sense why they'd hold upgrades back with it wide open... seatcounter is showing A9 so there is no shortage of even discounted F seats.
Old May 12, 2008, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks, rylan!

I ended up speaking with a supervisor at SMS who told me that there are 11 seats and I should use DL.com. She also said the call center and the airport are like "2 different companies". Not sure what that meant...

Sounds like another upgrade problem for DL.... Weird!

Thanks again!
Old May 12, 2008, 8:49 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Where are you getting your indication of V inventory from? If it is a third-party CRS like ExpertFlyer, the mistake could be a disconnect on their end with DL.

If you try to do a dummy purchase on delta.com for a full Y fare and the upgrade shows as "Request Only", then V inventory is not available. If the upgrade shows as available, then there is actual V inventory and you should call DL.
Old May 12, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, Avis First
Originally Posted by keeton
Where are you getting your indication of V inventory from? If it is a third-party CRS like ExpertFlyer, the mistake could be a disconnect on their end with DL.

If you try to do a dummy purchase on delta.com for a full Y fare and the upgrade shows as "Request Only", then V inventory is not available. If the upgrade shows as available, then there is actual V inventory and you should call DL.
Yeah, I was going to tell him the same thing...do a dummy purchase at Y, which is a good indication of actual V inventory. But then I decided to be even nicer and try it myself and report the results here. For the life of me, I can't get DL.com to "sell" me anything other than an A fare for the flight at $453/one way. I even specifically picked Y class and checked refundable.

I'd still stick to the other advice calling SMS and finding someone that wants to help.
Old May 12, 2008, 9:39 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by csgoalie
Yeah, I was going to tell him the same thing...do a dummy purchase at Y, which is a good indication of actual V inventory. But then I decided to be even nicer and try it myself and report the results here. For the life of me, I can't get DL.com to "sell" me anything other than an A fare for the flight at $453/one way. I even specifically picked Y class and checked refundable.
THat's 'cause the "A" fare is the cheaper than the full Y fare (the A fare in this case is a BUP fare)..

Originally Posted by FlySkyTeam
I am on DL 1765 from DEN to ATL on 5/15 and listed as "Requested" for the upgrade. I am within the window and the seat inventory is the following:

- 14 F Seats
- 7 of them are V upgrade seats
Expertflyer is showing DL1756 DENATL on 15May to be V0 right now...
Old May 12, 2008, 11:21 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, Avis First
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
THat's 'cause the "A" fare is the cheaper than the full Y fare (the A fare in this case is a BUP fare)..

Expertflyer is showing DL1756 DENATL on 15May to be V0 right now...
Thanks Clipper. I always thought A fares were non-refundable. Learn something new every day.
Old May 12, 2008, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by csgoalie
Thanks Clipper. I always thought A fares were non-refundable. Learn something new every day.
They vary. Mine (and I gather yours ) from DCA are almost always non-refundable, but appreantly many in the ATL market that compete head to head with Airtran's business fares are refundable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.