Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 Double MQM Promo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2008, 11:00 am

Not sure anyone will believe my tale but I just fininished cancelling two TATL flights and rebooking them after encountering several problems in doing all of that online. DL CSRs here in the states gave me some bad info on how to do it all online and in frustration I called the DL.com tech help line only to find out that I was speaking with our friends in India. Guess what? In five minutes they had walked me through the whole process very smoothly while I did it all online at DL.com, my 2X MQMs thus ensured, and they then upgraded my M fares to Zs immediately. Kudos to DL's Indian tech/CSR people and I promise not to make any remarks even remotely disparaging in the future. ^
Old Apr 1, 2008, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL GM
My experience described above and in another thread was not as good. I canceeled a previous SAN-JFK U fare yesterday.....ecredit nowehere to be found online, only by phone....wlked through with two techs and SMS as only solution was to rebook by phone to use credit....so i purchased with credit card online, saving my new "phonecredit" for a later flight in the year. Magically, got an email today stating that they solved my problem by reinstating my original itin and cancelling my new one???? Now the fare increased beyond "worth it" status, so i lost my chance for double MQM....thanks DL!

Unfortunately, I have 5 RT booked until 6/30/08 and all booked before 3/31/08 and all with significantly higher fares.....though I can keep watching i guess
Old Apr 1, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by safigan
For those who believe this won't result in more GMs and PMs, I've already talked to two business associates-- one who plans to move from FO to GM as a result of this promo, and the other from GM to PM. If the number affected is only enough to fill a 777, then I already know two seats that are taken.

I think it would be a good move on DLs part to beef up and formalize their 125K tier. It would finally throw a bone to the people who fly the most, and make this benefit more predictable and tangible.
Actually, given the timing of the announcement, I predict that this was done intentionally to try and keep the high-level flyers loyal in light of the fee increases - and especially the new charge for partner flights.

Pretty pathetic, if you ask me.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta Silver; 0.75MM: AA; Alaska; Southwest
Originally Posted by lls138
Unfortunately, I have 5 RT booked until 6/30/08 and all booked before 3/31/08 and all with significantly higher fares.....though I can keep watching i guess
My situation exactly except I ONLY have 3RT's booked (each 4,000MQM's). Sort of penalizes those of us who plan ahead
Old Apr 1, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Delta DM
The ad appeared in the Sunday addition of USA Today and since I was staying at a Marriot Courtyard I went to the Delta website Sunday and signed up.
That was Sunday so I'm not sure why some are having problems signing up?
Old Apr 1, 2008, 3:11 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Originally Posted by newfie
The ad appeared in the Sunday addition of USA Today and since I was staying at a Marriot Courtyard I went to the Delta website Sunday and signed up.
That was Sunday so I'm not sure why some are having problems signing up?
You need to read the entire thread. OP 'broke' this news last Friday. Link wasn't active for signup until Saturday night. Believe me, everyone has sucessfully signed up for this promo.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 4:17 pm

Does minting a boatload of new PM's next year hit the cost-benefit sweet spot such a promotion implies? Are April loads so low the airline had no choice?

I see this as a harbinger of end-of-year Medallion tier re-structuring: 125K elites getting free CRC and more reliable upgrading among the incentives.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, CRC; Hilton and Marriott Gold
Slightly different take on this issue. I'll be flying to GIG in May. Ticket is yet to be booked. However, the corporation (Univ in Brazil) needs to book it themselves, and at lowest fare. Presumably, they are not doing it via delta.com. Thus, if after 24hr of their purchase, I cancel, giving e-credit, can I then book it at delta.com myself using the ecredit. Will the double mqm apply-- since the earlier ecredit was not done on delta.com?

Lastly -- what is typically the change fee for an international flight such as this that I would incur? I suspect that even if it is $200-$300, the double MQM would be more than worth it given the length of the flight.

Bob
Old Apr 1, 2008, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Actually, given the timing of the announcement, I predict that this was done intentionally to try and keep the high-level flyers loyal in light of the fee increases - and especially the new charge for partner flights.

Despite the interesting conspiracy theories, I suspect the motivation is more basic & mundane -- drum up business & marginal revenue in the off-season to offset rising fuel costs.

I do think it may backfire in the long run.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 6:17 pm

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Platmond, AA credit card stooge, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH,
Just finished booking SEA-NRT via LAX, a trip I was going to make anyway. A few items out of this:

1. My mileage/MQM tally from DL.com for this trip (in M) is as follows:

Total miles: 12812
Total MQM: 19218

2. When I called DL (and spoke to someone in the US!) they reiterated the fact that the bonus MQM show up 6-8 weeks after the end of the promo in June. So I'll make FO the hard way when I return to SEA; I'll have to wait for July or so for the bonus miles to allow me to cheat my way into Gold.

The DL agent also confirmed that I was indeed registered for the promo and confirmed that the 1.5 YBM earnings are subject to doubling.

3. The LAX-NRT leg is on KE both ways. I asked specifically whether this flight qualifies for the promo - agent said it did, of course. I fully expected codeshares to qualify but I had to ask out of habit. Also, I'm delighted to be flying KE metal vice NW. I was very surprised to see a KE itin price out the same as a NW itin.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 6:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by keihin_242
I asked specifically whether this flight qualifies for the promo - agent said it did, of course. I fully expected codeshares to qualify but I had to ask out of habit.
So does this mean that any flight booked on delta.com with a DL flight number will qualify for 2x MQM?
Old Apr 1, 2008, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Despite the interesting conspiracy theories, I suspect the motivation is more basic & mundane -- drum up business & marginal revenue in the off-season to offset rising fuel costs.

I do think it may backfire in the long run.
How is drumming up business and marginal revenue in the off season to offset rising fuel costs mundane? Wouldn't any carrier want to do that?

Not surprised to hear that you think this will backfire on Delta. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by chrisny2
So does this mean that any flight booked on delta.com with a DL flight number will qualify for 2x MQM?
Go back and read the offer on the DL website... any DL coded flight except on Northwest or Continental.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tonypct
How is drumming up business and marginal revenue in the off season to offset rising fuel costs mundane? Wouldn't any carrier want to do that?
Did you actually read my entire post, including the quotation from the post I was responding to:

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer

I really don't see anything sinister in Delta's motiviations behind this promo. They want $$$$. Real simple. It's a real simple, mundane purpose. No conspiracy theories are needed.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Bah! I need to book another trip to Germany in May, but I need to use my corporate travel web site (that gives a nice discount), and can't use delta.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.