Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

DL cheating European passengers on taxes and fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL cheating European passengers on taxes and fees

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carolinian
Not prognostication at all. If you had read my post, you would know that the revenue desk told me that this Delta Surcharge would soon be expended to all of Europe, and eventually to the whole Delta system. ''All travel areas'' were her exact words.
I don't doubt she said that, but she can't really know that for certain. There may be a plan for DL to do so (for revenue and/or award tickets), but DL needs to do things in accordance with a) competitive market pressure and b) applicable laws and regulations. For fights ex-USA, DL needs to be very wary of coming afoul of DOT's "full fare rule" and rules for the advertising free tickets.

The award flights charges are definitely bad for the FTer/passenger/SkyMiles member and are emblematic with some of DL's negative attitudes towards the passenger/member.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beckles
Maybe it's just me, but I could care less what any airline calls the various components of the ticket price, they can call it base fare, additional fare, surcharge, tax, fee, markup, profit, 'cause we can', etc., etc., etc. ... all I care about is total cost.
When it means you will have to pony up an extra $200 for your award ticket, somehow I would think that you would comprehend that you should be concerned. But maybe not. Maybe you think the devaluation of SkyMiles is a good thing for its members.

Programs: DL DM-1MM
YQ is not a government imposed tax, but it is indeed a tax imposed by a large number of carriers.

Fraud? - No
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beckles
Maybe it's just me, but I could care less what any airline calls the various components of the ticket price, they can call it base fare, additional fare, surcharge, tax, fee, markup, profit, 'cause we can', etc., etc., etc. ... all I care about is total cost.
I agree...but you should care about it if they charge this fee for award tickets (wherever they are allowed to). That brings your total cost from miles+$0+taxes to miles+cash+taxes.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Besides, from what I learned today, it is either "base fare" or "tax", and there aren't any other choices. Since it is an add-on, it is listed as a tax. And when someone reviews it with you, they see it listed as a tax. The typical customer service agent may have no idea what YQ means. She sees it listed as a "tax" and so she tells you that it is a tax.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:37 pm

When it means you will have to pony up an extra $200 for your award ticket, somehow I would think that you would comprehend that you should be concerned. But maybe not. Maybe you think the devaluation of SkyMiles is a good thing for its members.
I believe in market forces. So since you feel so strongly about this, why don't you just give your business to NW and let DL know that's what you are doing and why.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phatpaw
YQ is not a government imposed tax, but it is indeed a tax imposed by a large number of carriers.

Fraud? - No
Something imposed by a carrier may be a ''fee'' or a ''surcharge'' or the like. It is not a ''tax''. Only government units can impose a ''tax'' and an air carrier is not a government unit.

It amazes me how some think it is nothing for a business to make misrepresentations of this nature. I guess it says something about overall business ethics these days that some just accept it.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLFan2
I believe in market forces. So since you feel so strongly about this, why don't you just give your business to NW and let DL know that's what you are doing and why.
The first concern is the miles I still have from my pre-Borden years as a DL GM, but even more so, it is the fact that DL is trying to take over NW. That is a huge concern. Obviously my DL miles are already devalued, but I would at least like to keep the value of my larger pile of Worldperks miles.

If mergers result in an airline oligopoly, then the danger of airlines hosing their ff members greatly increases. That is one reason all ff'ers ought to write, call, and otherwise contact elected officials and regulators to oppose any DL/NW merger.

Is the spirit of SaveSkyMiles.com dead? Will the wimpy reaction of DL ff'ers send a message through the DL officials who monitor these boards that they seem to have a green light to move faster on this plan? Wow, I have rarely seen a more ''shoot the messenger'' mentality.

Last edited by Carolinian; Feb 1, 2008 at 12:47 pm
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phatpaw

Fraud? - No
It's not a tax--it is a fee.
In and of itself it is not fraud.
Charging it for award tickets may or may not be deceptive marketing/advertising.

The terms and conditions for SkyMiles awards state:
Responsibility for Taxes, Fees, and Other Charges

The payment of any taxes, fees, and other government or airport-imposed charges is the responsibility of the passenger. Award Travel tickets do not include a $3.40 Federal Excise Tax, Passenger Facility Charge(s) of up to $4.50 for each flight segment, or the September 11th Security Fee of up to $2.50 for each flight segment. A flight segment is defined as a takeoff and a landing. Award Travel tickets to/from Hawaii/Alaska do not include U.S. International Air Transportation Tax of up to $15.00 round-trip.

Award Travel tickets for international travel, including for travel to/from PR/U.S. Virgin Islands, do not include U.S. International Air Transportation Tax of up to $30.20 and U.S. and foreign user, inspection, security or other similarly based charges, fees or taxes of up to $280, depending on itinerary. Taxes and fees for award travel are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid at the time the ticket is booked. In some instances, the government may elect to collect the fees directly from the passenger. Some airline partners charge a fee for Award Travel redemptions for travel on their airlines. These fees, when applicable, are the responsibility of the passenger and will be collected at the time of booking. Additional fees apply for some SkyMiles transactions.
In order for them to charge this fee, it would have to fit into "Some airline partners charge a fee for Award Travel redemptions for travel on their airlines." This, though is of questionable validity, given that DL has admitted that this is DL-imposed.
DL wrote the rules--they should at least follow them.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH - Gold, MR - Plat, IHG - Plat, UA
Something imposed by a carrier may be a ''fee'' or a ''surcharge'' or the like. It is not a ''tax''. Only government units can impose a ''tax'' and an air carrier is not a government unit.

It amazes me how some think it is nothing for a business to make misrepresentations of this nature. I guess it says something about overall business ethics these days that some just accept it.
Well if you look carefully, the costs are composed of taxes and fees.
The problem here is not one of sementics, but one of training.
The reps should be taught how to distinguish between the various tax and fee codes.

If you truly feel that Delta is commiting piracy, defrauding you, cheating its customers, I suggest that you file a compaint with the US Attorney's office or hire a lawyer and file a class action suit.

I don't know what you hope to gain here other than what you have which is a better understanding of what was in the $332 cost to begin with.

And on behalf of the other posters here to invested time on the internet and in my case on the phone with SMS in an effort to assist you, you are most welcome.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by KCnAtl
Well if you look carefully, the costs are composed of taxes and fees.
I don't know what you hope to gain here other than what you have which is a better understanding of what was in the $332 cost to begin with.

Furthermore, no one forced you [Carolinian] into the transaction.

As far as I am concerned, further posting in this thread is pointless, so I'm outta this one.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by DLFan2
When I was doing my analysis it still appeared that DL's total fare was competitive, even with the surcharge. It would be better, though to incorporate it into the base fare and give award travelers a break.
But this conversation has been about award tickets, right? Yes, I agree that the Delta all-in price on paid itineraries is competitive. But charging over $300 for an "award" ticket is not. Most of that $300+ is not taxes, it is the fuel surcharge, and the money goes to Delta.

I love Delta and would defend them to the end on most things, but this practice is just plain wrong.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rcherskov
But this conversation has been about award tickets, right? Yes, I agree that the Delta all-in price on paid itineraries is competitive. But charging over $300 for an "award" ticket is not. Most of that $300+ is not taxes, it is the fuel surcharge, and the money goes to Delta.

I love Delta and would defend them to the end on most things, but this practice is just plain wrong.
Thank you! You have hit the nail on the head.

Delta's apologists sound like a certain former president trying to argue ''what 'is' is''. Who cares if stronger words may apply, but ''wrong'' is just fine.

I have used the word ''devaluation'' as well, and they don't seem to have a comeback on that, but just want to sit back and accept it.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have used the word ''devaluation'' as well, and they don't seem to have a comeback on that, but just want to sit back and accept it.
It's likely because most of the users on the DL forum don't book tickets ex-Europe. If more did, they might feel differently.

Your bringing up, though, both award and revenue tickets in one breath did make the arguments/issues confusing at times.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM
i believe the title says that DL is cheating passengers, but now it is a devaluation of skymiles (or whatever clever substitute you would like to use).

either way, you pointed out a difference in origination costs. good sleuthing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.