Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Regular Delta Passenger Working the Snack Cart

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2008, 4:33 am

. He had scored us upgrades to first and they boarded us, but we got held on the ground long enough that our crew went over their time limits and had to leave. They called in replacements, but for a while we were sitting on a pretty full plane basically unsupervised (the gate agent would come down and give us updates every few minutes).

This may be a "buzzkill" to most, but it is definitely a viloation of FARs to leave pax unattended on an airplane. Minimum crew must be onboard when pax are onboard. If only for "supervisory" reasons.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 4:36 am

[I doubt you will find any mention of snack service in the FARs. So long as all related regs are complied with (like not doing so if the seat belt sign in on), the FAA wouldn't give a hoot.

There was no crew onboard, so the regs were not complied with. This has nothing to do with who does the snack service.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 7:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by skylady
Unless this is an urban legend, sounds like a serious FAR viloation.
Perhaps if you had initially quoted the specific post you were referencing.... (the OP mentioned nothing about unattended pax that I can see) the buzzkill comments would have a better context.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:53 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
In 1986 a six year-old worldwidedreamer joined his father for a business trip on a Pacific Southwest Airlines flight from SFO-LAS. Shortly after take-off, one of the crew members approached my father and asked if I would like to participate in the meal service. I walked down the length of the plane handing out peanuts. It was fun and I'll never forget it.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:10 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iahphx
I was on a WN flight earlier this month when a uniformed deadheading pilot was doing part of the beverage service. It seemed a little odd, so I asked him whether he was moonlighting. He said he was bored (it was a 4 hour flight), and it gave him something to do. I can't really imagine this happening on any legacy carrier.
While I wouldn't say it's a rule, it's pretty much standard practice on WN that non-working crew helps with handing out snacks, including pilots. The last pilot I had doing this I told him he was doing a good job and maybe he would get promoted to flight attendant soon.

On a recent WN flight an Air Midwest F/A riding to MCI helped with the snacks and the WN F/A made a point of thanking her on the PA after we landed.

I also can't imagine a pax being allowed to do the snack service on any US airline. I'm also guessing it was an off duty f/a pulling the OP's leg, but I'd never say never!
I could very easily see this happening on WN, and I'm almost sure I have seen it at least once. WN is a little different since they don't use a cart though.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:08 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by Beckles
While I wouldn't say it's a rule, it's pretty much standard practice on WN that non-working crew helps with handing out snacks, including pilots. The last pilot I had doing this I told him he was doing a good job and maybe he would get promoted to flight attendant soon.

On a recent WN flight an Air Midwest F/A riding to MCI helped with the snacks and the WN F/A made a point of thanking her on the PA after we landed.

I could very easily see this happening on WN, and I'm almost sure I have seen it at least once. WN is a little different since they don't use a cart though.
i've seen pilots doing it as well
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta KM/DM, Hyatt GP Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
In 1986 a six year-old worldwidedreamer joined his father for a business trip on a Pacific Southwest Airlines flight from SFO-LAS. Shortly after take-off, one of the crew members approached my father and asked if I would like to participate in the meal service. I walked down the length of the plane handing out peanuts. It was fun and I'll never forget it.
Did you get to meet Captain Oveur?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.