Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYTimes critic Frank Bruni dines in BizElite

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2007, 1:36 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Kahuna
In comparison to the food provided by SQ, BA and AF in premium cabins, BE food tastes and looks like a reheated school lunch. As for the wine, they need to do more research on the BE target market!
I don't agree. The product compares very well with those carriers.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott lifetime Ti, USMC
At first, I misread the post subject. I thought Frank Bruni had died in BizE. My first thought: "Ewww. That must have been hard on the cabin crew "
Old Jul 6, 2007, 1:53 pm

In comparison to the food provided by SQ, BA and AF in premium cabins, BE food tastes and looks like a reheated school lunch. As for the wine, they need to do more research on the BE target market!
Preferences on food are surely very individual, so it will probably be next to impossible to find common ground on this.

FWIW the worst food I ever had was on a BA TATL flight in C (but perhaps I just do not appreciate British cuisine too much), SQ C can be better yes but I also had instances where their food did not really live up to the airline's reputation. Never flown AF C, so cannot comment. All in all I still think that DL BE food is quite good for the generally not-too-high airline industry standards and compares favorably with most other carriers' C food IMHO
Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:06 pm

I almost ALWAYS order the fish on Delta B/E flights, and it is ALWAYS superb. Quit being a bunch of wussies and try it. The side dishes I can't quite say the same about though.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA *G
I have to agree - BE food is at least better than inedible Stouffer's. It's not delicious, but it's on par with Applebee's for sure (though I wouldn't choose fish on a flight)
-A
Old Jul 6, 2007, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AMEX Centurion, SkyClub
I told my wife to get a vegetarian meal recently since many of you said that it was far superior (liars!)....I felt so bad for her that I ate it instead. Just nasty...but overall my experiences are ok as I always remember that the airline isn't a 5-star restaurant, but an airplane.

I must say that I did make several trips to the pooper between Dakar and Atlanta last May ---- and I was not the only one. And at all costs I do my best to hold it in those circumstances. The lavatory cleaning person didn't know what hit him when that flight landed. He's probably since resigned.

But anyway, never any problems with wine --- always had a selection related to the area in which we were travelling.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by bradfordm
I must say that I did make several trips to the pooper between Dakar and Atlanta last May ---- and I was not the only one. And at all costs I do my best to hold it in those circumstances. The lavatory cleaning person didn't know what hit him when that flight landed. He's probably since resigned.
Hmmm, when I flew this route, I, too, got dhiarrea, what's up with that?
Old Jul 6, 2007, 6:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM/CRC, AA GLD/AC, SPG Gold
The best airplane meal by far I ever had was on Alaska Airlines (I don't know the appropriate abbreviation for them)....and it was fish....Alaskan Halibut that I had caught in Glacier Bay about an hour and a half before boarding. We had filleted the catch and were hoping to have our hotel cook it and make sandwiches to take on board. The hotel refused (saying it was against FDA regs or something), so we put the fish on ice and took it aboard...the stewardess said, "what have you got there?" She bragged about what a good fish cook she was and when we told her about the hotel she said, "heck I can cook that in the galley oven...you guys hungry?" She took it and baked it with lemon, butter, salt and pepper. We were eating it about 30mins into the flight...absolutely fantastic! I took pics of the whole thing. I should add, we were seated in F.

Last edited by Bonzz; Jul 6, 2007 at 6:40 pm Reason: addendum
Old Jul 6, 2007, 7:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Well since he didn't fly since July 1st, he is talking about the old menu and chef. They have switched the menu's this month from what they used to be, along with the chef (From what I understood). But I have never had a problem with the food, it has always filled the tummy and hit the spot, I have had to stop taking some of the courses on BizE fligths from where I used to take EVERY course! As far as wine selection, they change every month or so from teh selection that is in the menu.

And my food in Biz on AF two weeks ago was nothing close to as special as the flights I have had on DL. The portions were much smaller and less to choose from.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:29 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AMEX Centurion, SkyClub
Originally Posted by DeltaRIC
I'm still laughing...though I wasn't laughing over Hamilton, Bermuda.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:31 pm
Suspended

I was also surprised on both my JFK-PSA-JFK BE flights they were not serving any of the wines (at least red) listed in their menu.

Also, I tend to agree with that the symbols about which dishes will relax you/wake you up seems oversimplified.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
I haven't found the food on any of these airlines to be any better in Business class.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by DeltaRIC
I have no doubt that the local hygenic routine in the catering country was at fault. I've had the same problem on the DEL-EWR route on CO after the flight was delayed for 12 hours.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
In comparison to the food provided by SQ, BA and AF in premium cabins, BE food tastes and looks like a reheated school lunch.
I have no experience with SQ, but I have flown both AF and BA in F (admittedly it was about five years ago), and frankly I think the DL food is equal to, if not better, than both of those carriers, particularly BA.

And I'm not saying the BE wines are bad (some are quite good), but instead I'm frustrated when I go to the trouble to read the list and pick something out only to find it doesn't exist. They could eliminate the printed wine list and use the money to put glassware back in domestic F (please, please, please).
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:34 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
BTW, I don't know about the rest of you but I would never order fish flying on DL.
Originally Posted by meh130
Who would ever order fish on an airplane, period?
Originally Posted by JBLUA320
though I wouldn't choose fish on a flight
I do, I have and, depending on the menu choices, I will again.

I usually enjoy the fish dishes on Delta Air Lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.