Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do in CVG? Also, a standby question.

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2007, 9:41 pm
Formerly known as stellertony
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
What to do in CVG? Also, a standby question.

I have a 4-hour layover in CVG on June 1st. Any ideas of what to do during that time? I'm willing to leave the airport.

Technically I'm not allowed by the organization sending me to standby for earlier flights...but I figure it can't possibly matter if I spend extra time in EWR vs. CVG. I'm ticketed on a CO Expressjet as a Delta codeshare - so if I were to standby, would I need to do it with DL or CO?
Old May 24, 2007, 9:53 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by stellertony
I have a 4-hour layover in CVG on June 1st. Any ideas of what to do during that time? I'm willing to leave the airport.
You may want to meet some fellow FlyerTalk members, perhaps?

Delta Forum Lounge™ DO - CVG - June 1-3 2007
Old May 24, 2007, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club

Technically I'm not allowed by the organization sending me to standby for earlier flights...but I figure it can't possibly matter if I spend extra time in EWR vs. CVG. I'm ticketed on a CO Expressjet as a Delta codeshare - so if I were to standby, would I need to do it with DL or CO?
Delta doesn't offer standby. Instead they have Same Day Confirmed, which will confirm a seat for you on a flight departing within three hours for $25 (space available, of course).

You could also take Canarsie's suggestion and meet us for dinner/drinks if you're there early evening.
Old May 25, 2007, 6:17 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I wouldn't leave the airport. CVG is in the boonies. The nearest mall is in Florence, KY, which is a 15 minute drive. Even if you could easily get a taxi on the way to the mall, you'd have a very hard time getting one on the way back. (Greater Cincinnati has just not caught on to the idea of public transportation.) And then you'd have to go back through security....

If you can't meet up with the fine FT folks, you could always ride the PeopleMover for hours on end....
Old May 25, 2007, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
If you don't have a CRC membership, it's $25 for a pass. There are 2 lounges ; A and B. I'd rather spend the $25 to get home sooner, but if I wasn't headed home and wasn't already a member, I might choose the CRC option. I'd also get me a plate of 3 way at Gold Star.
Old May 25, 2007, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Also, CVG security can suck unless you are FC or Elite
Old May 25, 2007, 8:21 am

Programs: DL GM - Make that PM now!/Airtran not any more
Originally Posted by BamaVol
If you don't have a CRC membership, it's $25 for a pass. There are 2 lounges ; A and B. I'd rather spend the $25 to get home sooner, but if I wasn't headed home and wasn't already a member, I might choose the CRC option. I'd also get me a plate of 3 way at Gold Star.

Topped off with a soft-serve at Carvel. Also in B.
Old May 25, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Turfway Park Racecourse Is Very Close

Its property is just across the road from the SE corner of CVG, and is a $10-12 cab ride. They won't have live racing again until after Labor Day (they have live racing dates in September and December through the first week of April), but there is simulcast racing from all over the country from noon to midnight every day.
Old May 25, 2007, 8:01 pm

Wolfgang Puck's is also a nice place to waste time. Decent bar and good food, for an airport.
Old May 27, 2007, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie
You may want to meet some fellow FlyerTalk members, perhaps?

Delta Forum Lounge™ DO - CVG - June 1-3 2007
I looked at that... unfortunately, I'm coming in on DL 1154 from ANC which arrives at 7:10am, and leaving on CO 2770 which leaves at 11am.
Old May 27, 2007, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
If you don't have a CRC membership, it's $25 for a pass. There are 2 lounges ; A and B.
I have a temporary Priority Pass (that's linked to a valid but unchargeable debit card), but lounges for U.S. airlines won't let me in because I'm under 21.
Old May 27, 2007, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I looked at that... unfortunately, I'm coming in on DL 1154 from ANC which arrives at 7:10am, and leaving on CO 2770 which leaves at 11am.
Well, head over to the CO forum and introduce yourself.
Old May 28, 2007, 8:10 am

i second the gold star idea....it truly is a cincinnati delicacy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.