Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Required for Checkin?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Credit Card Required for Checkin?

Search does not lead me to an answer to my specific question, and have not been flying DL enough lately to have encountered the situation.

Yesterday (Monday) I sprung for an award ticket for our daughter (using my miles), departing this Friday. Did the "purchase" all online, including charging the security and "close to departure" fees on my credit card.

Upon completing the purchase, I see the following message:

In order to purchase and travel on your ticket, you must bring your credit card and photo identification to the airport on or before the day of your flight. Otherwise, you will be denied travel. Also, you will not be able to check in online, but you can check in at the kiosks on the airport using the same credit card that was used to purchase the ticket(s).

Since I (with MY credit card) am not planning to be there on Friday to see her off, and DEFINITELY will not be with her on the return.

So, will there be a problem when she checks in (either outbound or return) without me or my credit card? If so, any recommendations on how to avoid any problems? Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
The last time I bought a ticket the night before departure, it said the same thing. I did the kiosk checkin and never had to show my card or ID at checkin. Not sure if I slipped thru or not.
**Note, I used a DIFFERENT cc at the kiosk b/c the one I charged it to, I couldnt find.**
Old Mar 27, 2007, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I've never had a problem booking travel using my father's Credit Card number with his miles for travel, even when I'm making a last minute trip - my DL card always worked fine.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862
I've never had a problem booking travel using my father's Credit Card number with his miles for travel, even when I'm making a last minute trip - my DL card always worked fine.
DL does this as a fraud prevention measure for any non-Medallion using a CC to purchase a ticket within some cutoff period (I think it's a week) of the flight. If your father is a Medallion, that would explain why you haven't encountered this issue. I don't know if there is also an exception for DL-branded cards or now.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 4:31 pm

There is a procedure of having to see the CC BEFORE CI. The PNR is inhibited from printing a BP unless what is called a "5SPCL" remark of having seen the CC is removed. An agent can choose to ignore and remove the remark without seeing the CC....but, that's not the correct procedure.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
DL does this as a fraud prevention measure for any non-Medallion using a CC to purchase a ticket within some cutoff period (I think it's a week) of the flight. If your father is a Medallion, that would explain why you haven't encountered this issue. I don't know if there is also an exception for DL-branded cards or now.
That would probably be why...we're both Silvers right now, so no issue.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Originally Posted by mersk862
That would probably be why...we're both Silvers right now, so no issue.
As was I when this happened. Good to know...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
From the replies, it looks like it may not be a problem, but since neither of us currently have any status with DL, it very well could be a problem.

My current solution: Have written a letter for the daughter to carry with her that explains the situation and includes salient info (e.g., last 4 digits of CC, PNR, SkyMiles numbers [hers and mine]), and phone numbers (office & cell) to contact me.

Any better suggestions?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Any better suggestions?
Yes, call them now and ask if they can put a notation in the records. If she does have to check in with a live agent, it will be noted in her PNR.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 4:23 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
Unhappy Virtual Account Number

I just bought a ticket using a virtual account number, so there is no card at all. The first flight is on Tuesday; I hope it's not a problem and that, at a minimum, my lowly FO status will save me.

Inconveniently, as far as I can tell, this notation:

Note: If ticket purchase was by credit card and within 5 days of travel, you must present this card at time of travel.

didn't come up until the e-mail confirmation (i.e., I didn't have a chance to get smart and use a "real" credit card).
Old Apr 13, 2007, 4:26 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HLS2002
I just bought a ticket using a virtual account number, so there is no card at all. The first flight is on Tuesday; I hope it's not a problem and that, at a minimum, my lowly FO status will save me.

Inconveniently, as far as I can tell, this notation:

Note: If ticket purchase was by credit card and within 5 days of travel, you must present this card at time of travel.

didn't come up until the e-mail confirmation (i.e., I didn't have a chance to get smart and use a "real" credit card).
If it was for a trip originating in the US you can cancel it with no penalty and immediately repurchase it with another card.

It would save the worry.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 4:48 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
Actually, I called SMS and they confirmed Medallion flyers don't need to show their credit card. I'll rely on that rather than going through the whole cancellation and rebooking processes, but that would have been a good idea absent this info by phone.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta FO, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
I routinely purchase tickets online for my dad and his retired buddies to fly back and forth from Michigan to Florida. One of the guys operates on a strictly cash basis and doesn't even own a credit card, so I use mine and he gives me the dough in greenbacks. At least 50% of the time he gets asked for the credit card when he checks in (the checkin locations he goes to don't have kiosks). He just tells them that he's a friend of the family and that they can call me if they want. I've only had one agent take him up on that offer in about five years. And none of the tickets were purchased that close to the departure (usually at least 2 weeks in advance).
Old Apr 15, 2007, 7:21 pm
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
The best advice you could take is to go to any airport and show your CC and ID prior to your daughers departure.

This could most definately be a problem. People get denied check in all the time because the cannot present the CC. As mentioned earlier, agents cannot check in unless they remark is removed. This is for fraud prevention.

Many times we will refund the ticket to the original CC and then sell it again on the CC of the person who is traveling. Since this is an award ticket an agent won't have that option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.