Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

When will the 767 goes to the dessert and never return?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2007, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott and British Airways

I live in the Netherlands and i fly reguarly with Delta from Amsterdam to Atlanta and New York.
I am sitting Economy and the 767-300 is so old that i am always in a bad mood true this.

Why: No personal TV, so always wachting old disney movies.

Does somebody know when this type of aircraft will stop flying and a new plane will come?

Because my boss is paying the tickets i cant go to another airline.

Greetings from the Netherlands.

Pascal
Old Jan 14, 2007, 8:08 am

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
the 763's are here to stay for awhile.

What makes you think that just because an A/C may have an old interior, it has to go to the desert? If every airline did that, they'd cease operations faster than they are already killing themselves.

Delta is in the process of refurbishing the interiors and adding PTV's to the fleet.

Last edited by s25843; Jan 14, 2007 at 8:24 am
Old Jan 14, 2007, 8:14 am

I too expect the 763 to be arond a long time. I wonder just how fast the renovation program will advance. Not very is my guess. I am in BC on their ATL-JNB flight this spring and wonder if the plane will have an upgraded interior. I'd settle for clean. My prayer is for a 777.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by cpspas
I am sitting Economy and the 767-300 is so old that i am always in a bad mood true this. Why: No personal TV, so always wachting old disney movies.
Sounds like you've never flown in coach on a KLM 747, KLM MD11 or KL 767. Those birds are even worse compared to what you got on Delta - so consider yourself lucky.

Also, the old Disney movies only pay towards the end of the flight, if at all. The first movie shown is usually fairly new, and often, it is not even available on DVD here in Europe yet.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:46 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Originally Posted by mshaikun
I too expect the 763 to be arond a long time. I wonder just how fast the renovation program will advance. Not very is my guess. I am in BC on their ATL-JNB flight this spring and wonder if the plane will have an upgraded interior. I'd settle for clean. My prayer is for a 777.
I just got back on an updated version (yesterday) from JNB on the remodeled 767. The new IFE (nice monitors, maybe 15 recent movies, 20 TV shows, full control over music channels, other stuff) was VASTLY improved, but the seats are no great shakes...they might be the same as on the 777, but from some reason they didn't seem anywhere near as comfortable or reclining as on the 777.
Conversely, going down (about a week ago) I was on the "old" 767 and the seats seemed more comfortable (maybe my mind is playing tricks on me) and the old IFE system SUCKED (about 5 films all of which I had seen). In any case, I agree there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the 767--depends on what they choose to equip it with. Also, FAs say they have not heard anything about the 777going into service on this route.

Last edited by rhetor; Jan 14, 2007 at 9:53 am
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:50 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by rhetor
I just got back on an updated version (yesterday) from JNB. The IFE was VASTLY improved, but the seats are no great shakes...they might be the same as on the 777, but from some reason they didn't seem anywhere near as comfortable or reclining on the 777.
Conversely, going down (about a week ago) I was on the "old" 767 and the seats seemed more comfortable and the IFE SUCKED. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. In any case, I agree there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the 767--depends on what they choose to equip it with.
Maybe thats because those new seats hadn't been broken in yet.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I concur, the 767s aren't going anyplace.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:50 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I like the 767 when compared to the 777 coach seating. The 2x3x2 is more comfortable (fewer middles) than the 3x3x3 on the 777.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 2:58 pm

Well, 767s are still rolling off the assembly line at Everett as we speak, and after their life as pax plane most will end up as freighters, so I'd say it'll be a good 2 decades before the 767 goes to the desert and stays there .
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:25 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
The 767-400s already have a modern 777-style interior. For the 767-300s, I really would like to see their interiors restyled in some way other than just the seats and IFE. The L-1011s got overhead bin extensions in the late 1980s, and Delta's 757s and MD-88s got overhead bin extensions in the early 2000s. The ex-Song 757s also have gotten 737NG-like curved ceiling panels.

Heath Tecna offers the 767 NuLook package in three styles (Refresh, Extended, and Pivot), all of which modernize the interior greatly. I would really like to see Delta put one of the Heath Tecna NuLook mods on their 767-300s, preferably in the Pivot style. Hawaiian Airlines is installing the NuLook Refresh package on their ex-Delta 767-300s.

Boeing themselves also offer mods for older 767s. American Airlines is installing a mod on the front section of their 767s which feature 777-style bins but retains the existing PSUs. First Choice has installed a simpler mod known as the Boeing 767 Enhanced Interior, which have a more curvy style than the original 767 interior, but feature shelf bins instead of 777-style pivot bins.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA Ex. Plat, UA 1K
Not to start the old Airbus vs. Boeing debate again, but I'd rather have a 767 than an A330 any day.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I've never been on a 767 that I liked. I've been on a few Delta 767s in coach on domestic routes and United in both first and coach on domestic routes. The overheads are quite small and it seems like the airlines are more stingy with legroom in coach on the 767. I would prefer a 777 hands down to a 767, but as to the last comment if I were looking at a route that was 767 vs A330 I'd take the A330 every time.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Improvements

Flew on an "old" 763ER in BE last night (though I walked the plane at one point during the flight).

I was impressed to see even though this particular plane had the old seats/ife, it was completely spotless from front to back... with the newer, brighter lighting, and already had the new-look signage throughout (denoting seat/row numbers) and had the updated lavs with the laminate floors.

Clearly they're making some of the changes immediately, in advance of the ongoing seat replacement.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:26 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
By "old IFE" you mean, no PTVs, right?

Does anyone know what's being flown on ATL-STR?

What kind of IFE do ex-gulf 763s have?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:02 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Palal
By "old IFE" you mean, no PTVs, right?

Does anyone know what's being flown on ATL-STR?

What kind of IFE do ex-gulf 763s have?
Old IFE is PTVs in every seat, but it's the old-fashioned system of 5 or 6 channels on a loop. The new IFE is AVOD, a touchscreen system with up to 15 movies you can pause and rewind, along with MP3 music and other fun stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.