Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

People actually DO PAY for a FULL J ticket to Europe!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

People actually DO PAY for a FULL J ticket to Europe!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2006, 9:26 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by Justin026
...or Premium Coach on United...
Just FYI, in case you did not read the UA forum on a constant basis, Economy Plus access rules have changed.

Full fare travellers as well as *G/*S elite members from other airlines do not get to sit in Economy Plus on UA anymore.

It's restricted now to UA's own elites (or those forking over the Economy Plus access fee).
Old Sep 17, 2006, 9:39 am

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
Perhaps the lady or her hubby makes that much in a hour - not everyone is a plebe like us. And the full fare ticket does take a (small) bite out of the actual cost of operating the flight. (From my recollection, you'd need to sell all of the front at close to full fare (or contract rates) to even cover fuel + overhead cost of the trip, that is unless you manage to fill the back with rev tickets.)

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
I guess what stood out for me in this case was that the lady was on a personal trip (she said she was going to meet her husband in Italy for a week long vacation) and had obviously gone through the effort of purchasing a Coach fare and using miles to upgrade (in otherwords, looking for the most cost-efficient way to travel in BE across the pond), but then in just a few seconds, decides to plop down another $3000 (which is more than what she spent for the entire JFK-FCO ticket in the first place) for that 60" pitch and 18.5" wide seat...
Old Sep 17, 2006, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Threy
Normally the weaker airlines would leave the market at some point, but not in the US with Ch.11, so under the bottom line, the competiton stays and the percentage of people paying full fare decreases, because bankrupt carriers like NW or DL can afford to charge significantly less being in Ch.11 and/or relax their fare restrictions, like DL ex Germany for example...
Why does every DL example you have include flights to Germany? You do realize that this is a very small percentage of the airline's network...
Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:20 am

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
When I am invited to big meetings in Europe as a speaker by well-to-do pharmaceutical companies (2-3 times a year), I often fly in-and-out (3 days total) and has as a condition that I fly in C. Becaue of the less than 7 day stay, thiis always means full J tickets that when bought from Europe typically runs 7-9,000 Euro. I have learned, that if I travel AF on those tickets, I almost always get upgraded to F (worth 10-12,000 Euro) Thus, there is usually a fringe benefit of the J over I or Z for me.

But looking at a ticket worth US$ 10,000 or more that I usually pay no more than $3,000 foir myself is sort of mindbonggling (for me) and I have to be careful when complaining about high medication prices as some of that is clearly supporting people like me flying in style!!
Old Sep 17, 2006, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes Threy is absolutely right, Chapter 11 is only meant for airlines and is not a bankruptcy protection law that is available to all companies, and identical laws do not exist in other places as well. The US has never allowed any carriers to exist, and carriers such as Pan Am, Eastern, TWA and a hundred more that I will not list are still around. Over half the airlines in Europe are not in technical bankruptcy or have been in the last decade, and the other half have never received a cent of state subsidy (let alone $4 billion dollops in one go) Lastly I am unable to walk over to my local LH office in IST and but an Econ ticket to any point in the US at almost any time of the year connecting in Germany for under $350, nor can I buy a J ticket almost anywhere LH flies IN THE WORLD for appx. under 2000 Euros at almost any point in the year, this is because of course LH has such great pricing power.

Lastly, I would hope that this self declared expert would realize that fares and yields have gone UP since DL and NW have gone into ch.11 even fuel costs are eliminated. Nice theory to bad it bites.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I've bought a few J tickets in my time (personal, not business), but not on DL (only because I almost always get upgrades on DL).
Old Sep 17, 2006, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by rcs85551
Just FYI, in case you did not read the UA forum on a constant basis, Economy Plus access rules have changed.

Full fare travellers as well as *G/*S elite members from other airlines do not get to sit in Economy Plus on UA anymore.

It's restricted now to UA's own elites (or those forking over the Economy Plus access fee).

Well it's not as if 299 for economy plus access for one whole year is a lot when this lady was paying 3000 for one flight, one way.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 6:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hfly
Yes Threy is absolutely right, Chapter 11 is only meant for airlines and is not a bankruptcy protection law that is available to all companies, and identical laws do not exist in other places as well. The US has never allowed any carriers to exist, and carriers such as Pan Am, Eastern, TWA and a hundred more that I will not list are still around. Over half the airlines in Europe are not in technical bankruptcy or have been in the last decade, and the other half have never received a cent of state subsidy (let alone $4 billion dollops in one go) Lastly I am unable to walk over to my local LH office in IST and but an Econ ticket to any point in the US at almost any time of the year connecting in Germany for under $350, nor can I buy a J ticket almost anywhere LH flies IN THE WORLD for appx. under 2000 Euros at almost any point in the year, this is because of course LH has such great pricing power.

Lastly, I would hope that this self declared expert would realize that fares and yields have gone UP since DL and NW have gone into ch.11 even fuel costs are eliminated. Nice theory to bad it bites.
Spare me with your never ending fairy tales about the Government supported European airlines and the brilliant state of the US airline industry, you are alone anyway on that battle field....

In fact , carriers like BA are expected to earn their WACC in 2006 and will post a ROIC/WACC ratio above 1.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 6:53 am
Suspended

Spare me with your never ending fairy tales about the Government supported European airlines and the brilliant state of the US airline industry, you are alone anyway on that battle field....

In fact , carriers like BA are expected to earn their WACC in 2006 and will post a ROIC/WACC ratio above 1.
No, you're alone on that battle field. Instead of BA, look at say, AZ...
Old Sep 18, 2006, 9:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sxf24
No, you're alone on that battle field. Instead of BA, look at say, AZ...
Since when is AZ bankrupt and operating in Ch.11 ?

Did I miss something ?

Lex Berlusconi for AZ being signed without anyone realising it...
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:31 am
Suspended

Since when is AZ bankrupt and operating in Ch.11 ?

Did I miss something ?

Lex Berlusconi for AZ being signed without anyone realising it...
Yes, you did.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:08 am

Programs: DL PM
Normally the weaker airlines would leave the market at some point, but not in the US with Ch.11, so under the bottom line, the competiton stays and the percentage of people paying full fare decreases, because bankrupt carriers like NW or DL can afford to charge significantly less being in Ch.11 and/or relax their fare restrictions, like DL ex Germany for example...
Speaking of fares to Germany and how DL compares to others... This year i saw $320 RT (taxes included) flights from NYC to TXL on LH. These fares were running for a while.

$320 for ~4000 mile TATL flights. Now that's pricing power!!! I'm glad LH has it figured out, unlike DL.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
OK, we go through this all the time with Threy - Who is scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of offering dirt cheap fares in winter from Europe to the U.S.?

Well, here's an example of DUS-MIA leaving Nov 8 and returning Nov 16 which came from www.ebookers.de, one of the websites that sells consolidator-type fares:

1) KL/NW EUR 211 before taxes; EUR 439 all-in
2) BA EUR 253 before taxes; EUR 452 all-in
3) Deutsche Bahn/US EUR 412 before taxes; EUR 475 all-in
4) AF EUR 253 before taxes; EUR 482 all-in
5) Deutsche Bahn / AC EUR 344 before taxes; 527 all-in
6) DL (via the DUS-ATL nonstop) EUR 517 before taxes; EUR 580 all-in
7) LH/UA EUR 320 before taxes; EUR 611 all-in.
8) LH/AA EUR 461 before taxes; EUR 627 all-in

I checked some other date pairings in November for the same routing, and NW/KL always came in at the lowest, followed by BA, then in some cases AA, followed by AF. DL usually came in at about #5 -7. So there you have it! Proof that DL is not the only discounter in the game and that there are plenty of others that beat DL at the discounting game (even after adding back fuel surcharges)!
Old Sep 18, 2006, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

Threy, please explain to everyone how this statement by hfly is a fairy tale. Submit to us a detailed explanation of how you have determined that hfly's statement is not factual.

Rssrsvp - Moderator
Old Sep 18, 2006, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thought that I would point out that according to a story on CNN today, yields for Us carriers have increased by 17% in the past year (non fuel related) and that US carriers now have greater pricing power than European carriers (who are "beseiged by LCC's). I for one am waiting with baited brath for Threy's detailed explanation (oh yeah, BA was pretty much the only European carrier not included in waht I wrote above).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.