Wiki Posts
Search

24 hour on-line check in denied

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2003, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/1MM, United Silver, Marriott Titanium
24 hour on-line check in denied

I'm getting the following message when trying to check in on-line and was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I've used it many times and never came across this before. Thanks!

"Check in for Flight cannot be completed for security reasons. Please check-in with a Delta representative."
Old Apr 27, 2003, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
congratulations!
You have been specially selected for an "enhanced" screening at the checkpoint. If your gate is "randomly" selected for additional screening, you also get to go through the 'gaterape' sequence.

I think they are starting to deny internet checkin to 'selectees' because they might have discovered the easy way to get out of "enhanced" screening was to "liquid-paper out" out the "SSSS" or "SELPAX" code on the boarding card, and then run it through the photocopier (I take the 5th on that one). This way you are forced to check in at the airport and get a boarding card with the screening tag on it for sure.

If you dont mind, post the results of your check-in experience so we know for sure what the real consequences of that message are.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Another reason you may not be able to do online check-in is if any part of your itinerary contains international travel.

It won't claim you are denied for security reasons, but rather than online check-in isn't available and that you'll need to see a DL agent.

This, i presume, is because of the things DL has to do on International legs, like seeing your passport, checking baggage weights, and other international pparticular things.

If you're travelling domestically, you shouldn't have a problem..

Steve G
Old Apr 27, 2003, 3:00 pm

I had this occur last Sunday on a Domestic flight and when I got to the airport the boarding card had SSSS on it and I was a lucky random selected passenger. Went to security for the full pat down but no bag check just an x-ray. Was pretty quick and easy.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 5:44 pm

Location: DC ... NW Plat Elite, Hilton HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Diamond, Avis PS+, happily a _former_ DL PM
If you're going to check luggage anyway, you may want to carry on as little as possible. It makes the "process" move along more quickly at the checkpoint where they will have fun reviewing every little item in your bag.

Wear no belt, pants with no buttons, flops instead of shoes ... try going barefoot.

Oh, and my sister's reccomendation ... Eat lots of beans and fart often. They send you on your way very quickly.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 5:52 pm

I was travelling with my wife and 2 kids (ages 9 and 4). To do online check-in on DL you have to individually go in under each passengers skymiles number and pin - there is no way to check-in the entire group, which is ridiculous. Anyway, after methodically do the checkin for myself, my wife and my daughter, my son agre 4) got the check-in denied message. Sure enough, at the airport, he had SSSS on his boarding card, and beeped when his card was scanned at the gate. The TSA guy took one look at him, and announced loudly "I don't do kids". We didn;t wait for anything further, and just boarded. On the return, he was also selected at MCO for extra attention. Must be those shifty four year old eyes and the "Woody" (from Toy Story) suitcase that he was rolling around.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

BigD - where in Jax did you do the extra security? At the checkin counter or at the gate? thanks much.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 7:59 pm

I was in South Bend, IN coming back to JAX but the check was done at the security check point they also check your boarding card there. South Bend is the only place I know of that has three boarding card checks but I have been in and out of there at least 15 times in the past six months and they always check it three times.

JAX is never much of a problem and it goes pretty fast but I have never been selected leaving home.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 8:31 pm

This really is crazy. Providing an easy means of determining if one has been randomly selected largely removes any benefits of random screening. What security elementary school did these people train in ?
Old Apr 27, 2003, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I thought they stopped gate checks?
Old Apr 27, 2003, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Points Scrounger:
I thought they stopped these checks?</font>
Old Apr 27, 2003, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH DMD, MAR PLT
As far as the gate checks go - it depends on the airport. I never get checked at SFO in the morning and always get checked at SLC no matter what time of day. ATL is a crap shoot (in more ways than one). As far as the on-line check in being denied you might also take a look and make sure your itinerary is that same as when you booked it. If it has changed and they haven't reassigned seats yet then you won't get an on-line boarding pass.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Checked in this morning with a gate agent. SSSS printed on the boarding pass but did not have to go through any additional security measures. Net effect for me was that I could not check-in via web and needed to stand in line at the airport for 2 minutes.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 6:30 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Who would object if...

If the check in kiosks were modified so that, if you are denied your boarding pass there for security reasons, then you got a slip entitling you to use the premier line or, if no premier line, go to the front of the regular ticketing line?

The slip would also have passenger information and time and date on it to prevent misuse.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 04-28-2003).]
Old Apr 28, 2003, 7:26 am

"This really is crazy. Providing an easy means of determining if one has been randomly selected largely removes any benefits of random screening. What security elementary school did these people train in ? "

The Tom Ridge School of Duct Tape Repair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.