Wiki Posts
Search

COMAIR crash at LEX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TTT
I remembered his name. For an RJ FA, he made an impression for whatever reason.
Hold on...this wasn't that really kind of strange FA was it? Kind of over the top customer service? Kind of a silly sense of humor? I guess I didn't realize that it was a guy...they don't have too many of those.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:53 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by indufan
Hold on...this wasn't that really kind of strange FA was it? Kind of over the top customer service? Kind of a silly sense of humor? I guess I didn't realize that it was a guy...they don't have too many of those.
He was about 5'10" and had bleach blond hair, sorta long face. I don't remember the sense of humor but he made small talk with everyone as he was serving the drinks. And he was a guy, which seems to be unusual in the Comair crowd.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:11 pm

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Lehava
Does anyone know what they are talking about here...

06:04:59.4
HOT-2 I'm looking at it 'cause like, okay I see seven but it's....

06:05:01.9
HOT-1 yeah there's a green extra one there but....

Are they noticing their maps dont line up with what they are seeing or is it something else?

These comments refer to the messages that are usually showing when the airplane is at the end of the runway. There should be seven messages, usually. An extra message or less messages isn't bad, it just means you need to look at the message and figure out why it's there (or not there.)

Last edited by piggy; Jan 19, 2007 at 2:35 pm
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:23 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by indufan
Are you talking about the guy who sorta turns parts of the "speech" into a magic act? No that was not the FA on the tragic flight. His name stuck with me for some reason.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:24 pm

Here's an editorial from the Louisville paper about the tapes:
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...ION01/70119024
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by RobertS975

And one thing that I have posted numerous times in various venues deals with the runway lights. When was the LAST time this OR ANY OTHER airline crew accelerated down a runway for takeoff on an UNLIT runway during the hours of darkness? If you go back to the airport diagram:

(http://www.fltplan.com/AirportInformation/LEX.htm)

you can notice that shortly after beginning their tragic takeoff roll on 26, they would have passed the runway lights of the longer intended runway 22 WHICH WERE LIT.
If you read the transcript one of them mentions when they came in lights were out "all over the place", so I think that while it felt weird to them (as they comment) they didnt find it so out of place based on conditions at the airport during the construction. And seeing lights on somewhere else also would not have really stood out either (and obviously didn't).
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Whether the pilots' extraneous conversations throughout the 30 minutes prior to this disaster actually contributed to the crew's failure to takeoff on the correct runway will probably be debated for a long time. One thing is certain, however - the "sterile cockpit" rules are intended to prevent just this sort of negligence. Rather than focus on the correct runway, the FO just couldn't stop talking about new jobs, the dog, the spouse, etc.
I see the point. I certainly don't have any first hand experience of what actually happens in the cockpit of a typical flight. However, I just can't believe that this type of talk doesn't happen all of the time. Of course, if it is a successful flight (and 99.99999999999% of them are), then no one can review the CVR.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Settlement reached with two victims.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D8OHVNN00.htm

I also read a couple of months ago that Comair had sued the FAA and I don't think we ever discussed that here. DLFan and I talked about it and decided that is probably one of those things they just felt like they had to do.

I note that the NTSB still hasn't come out with a full report on this matter.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 8:29 am

Programs: DL GM/MM; AS MVP-G
Missing NOTAMs cited....

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/23/com....ap/index.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.