Wiki Posts
Search

Two Old Threads Come Back to Life!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2003, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Two Old Threads Come Back to Life!

Two huge multi-page threads have been resurrected today after many weeks of hibernation.

What would be the potential ramifications if DL were to suddenly reverse their SM changes as it especially applies to the PMs?

I have played the game as if the new rules were going to stick... I have used mileage awards for myself, which I never would have done had I cared about MQMs for 2003. I have skipped optional trips that I certainly would have made if I cared about MQMs.

If DL were to change their stance now, then at a minimum they would have to extend everyone's current status another year since most of us have been basing our tavel decisions on the new rules. That's why I truly believe that we are past the point of no return!
Old Aug 17, 2003, 6:50 pm

I strongly disagree! I have stayed with DL this year as it is a great year for PM upgrades. I have also been working under the belief (many would say fairy tale) that DL would tweak their new rules. There is no way, at least in my mind, that DL could leave their PM benefits in terms of upgrades out of whack with the other airlines. Still, if DL doesn't reinstate unlimited upgrades, it is better for me to be comped in 0104 so I will have a full year to continue benefits with the airline of my choice.

Although I am a short haul southeast flier that will have a hard time making PM under the new rules, I understand the remainder of the changes.

Delta should reward those of us loyal to the airline, not the fair weather fliers that left at the drop of a hat.

marc

PS What happens to companion upgrades and miles in lieu of upgrades if unlimited, or close to unlimited, PM upgrades are returned?
Old Aug 17, 2003, 8:46 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
Two huge multi-page threads have been resurrected today after many weeks of hibernation.

What would be the potential ramifications if DL were to suddenly reverse their SM changes as it especially applies to the PMs?

I have played the game as if the new rules were going to stick... I have used mileage awards for myself, which I never would have done had I cared about MQMs for 2003. I have skipped optional trips that I certainly would have made if I cared about MQMs.

If DL were to change their stance now, then at a minimum they would have to extend everyone's current status another year since most of us have been basing our tavel decisions on the new rules. That's why I truly believe that we are past the point of no return!
</font>
Have been away for a couple of weeks. Could you post the links to which you are referring? FYI, I think you have raised an extremely interesting issue: What is the point of no return?

[This message has been edited by obscure2k (edited 08-17-2003).]
Old Aug 17, 2003, 9:55 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marq:
Delta should reward those of us loyal to the airline, not the fair weather fliers that left at the drop of a hat.</font>
WRONG! I will barely qualify for GM this year on DL. Since the SkyMiles program was created, I have been PM, sometimes way over-qualifying (100k and 150k still mean you're PM). In 2002, I flew DL 115,000 base miles, when most people had abandoned the airlines post 9/11. I consider myself ultra loyal, sometimes flying DL even when it was not convienient.

But I have left to send DL a message. If they want my business going forward, they're going to have to return to some similiar program they had before. But I hardly consider myself (someone who has flown more than a million-in-seat miles) a fair weather flyer that made a decision at the drop of a hat. DL changed it's loyalty, not me.

[This message has been edited by jeffreyt (edited 08-17-2003).]
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:03 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
Have been away for a couple of weeks. Could you post the links to which you are referring? </font>
Welcome back Obscure2k!

RobertS975 probably was refering to:

Save SkyMiles Contribution Update

and

For PM's Only. Do You Agree with the Changes to SkyMiles

Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I agree, jeffreyt. Also, DL would never make any improvements if everyone stayed loyal (like Marq) despite the changes! Any changes for the better will be primarily because of the defectors.

------------------
Vasant
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marq:
I have stayed with DL this year as it is a great year for PM upgrades. I have also been working under the belief (many would say fairy tale) that DL would tweak their new rules........
Delta should reward those of us loyal to the airline, not the fair weather fliers that left at the drop of a hat.
</font>
Marc....I agree with you 110% on this. Those that have dropped DL did so for whatever reasons they felt were sound. Others have stuck with the program for the same reasons. Plus, as you stated, this year's PM bennies are the best they've been.
It's too soon to tell who will be "right" in their decision to either switch or fight. I don't think those who have switched should expect DL to welcome them back with open arms. What someone has done in the past...PM, GM, etc. for "X" years....doesn't hack it in this current economic environment. It's the ubiquitous " What have you done for me lately" that's IMO, going to rule.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by vasantn:
Any changes for the better will be primarily because of the defectors.</font>
vasantn...I can't argue with your reasoning but I feel this is a matter of timing. DL has made very few changes so far...at least as affects PM's with my travel pattern. I'm not a segment guy and I buy the higher, upgradeable fares. All DL has effectively done so far is to pre-announce the changes. The new rules are not cast in stone until 1/1/04.
DL realizes they are gaining Medallions this year for a variety of reasons that have been discussed in various other threads. While they are probably concerned about defectors this year, they are probably measuring whether or not they will end up with a net gain after this year's dust settles.
IMO, it's the defectors next year that will have the most impact on DL. That's when the reality of the new program sets in and when everybody....DL management included....gets a reality check. And that's when I finally leave if things are not back to where I require them. Maybe my strategy is right or it's wrong but it's the one I sticking with for now.

Old Aug 18, 2003, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Fellow DeltaManiacs, I am not talking about this year except as it applies to racking up MQMs. I am flying DL this year and enjoying PM benefits. But I am making no concerted effort to acquire MQMs. The M+ upgradeable fare to Central America was too costly, so I booked an award ticket. I have been booking LUT fares. I do not care how many MQMs I will get this year because I will not be here next year except on award tix.

Marq, if they do roll back some or most of the changes, then IMO, they will need to extend status. Also do not forget that the worst screwing all along went to a PM who drops to a GM (in terms of MSUs).

As far as DL judging the effects of their announced changes, the whole game will not be seen for some time. Current PMS and GMs are enjoying the program for 2003 and will not disappear until 2004. Then there are the many medallions who haven't even a clue about the changes yet. There will be another round of outrage on FT in early January! That's when the multitudes will find out the details of how they have been scewed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.