FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   New Song Routes to Include ATL! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/57942-new-song-routes-include-atl.html)

Robert Leach Mar 7, 2003 12:44 am

With this announcement of Song flights ATL-JFK, it means that Delta will serve that route with Song, Delta Connection, as well as Delta mainline. My question is whether the fares on all three will be the same or not. I don't think you make money as an airline if you're selling seats on 50 seat RJs at Song prices.

And I also wonder if fares to LaGuardia will match Song to JFK from ATL.

yknot Mar 7, 2003 7:18 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Robert Leach:
With this announcement of Song flights ATL-JFK, it means that Delta will serve that route with Song, Delta Connection, as well as Delta mainline. My question is whether the fares on all three will be the same or not. I don't think you make money as an airline if you're selling seats on 50 seat RJs at Song prices.

And I also wonder if fares to LaGuardia will match Song to JFK from ATL.
</font>
Just like Delta to come up with a strategy to compete against itself. I wonder if Delta mainline, connection and Song will have a fare war!

[This message has been edited by yknot (edited 03-07-2003).]

gilpin Mar 7, 2003 9:43 am

I wonder if they're considering replacing the entire DL operation (at least domestically) with Song ultimately and this will be a real world test.

Also if Song takes over I can just imagine the endless themed terms they'll introduce. I suppose they could even replace Medallion levels with Shower Singer, Soloist, and Virtuso or somesuch. Lifetime (now "annual") Medallion status would then be worth about as much as Flying Colonel lifetime CRC membership is today.

UnofficialDLHelper Mar 27, 2003 9:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yknot:
Where do you think Song will gate in Atlanta?</font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Just Passing Thru: I suspect D Concourse. "D" is for Distant.</font>
That is correct! D33 and D35 to be exact.

------------------
I am not a sanctioned representative of Delta on these boards, just an interested participant. I'm only here trying to shed light on DL issues brought up on this board and to provide my opinion and/or to try to answer Qs. I do work for Delta, but I don't represent DL's final word when answering a question (in any capacity). Please e-mail Customer Care with your questions to get a corporately-supported reply.www.delta.com/email

[This message has been edited by UnofficialDLHelper (edited 03-27-2003).]

mikey1003 Jun 10, 2003 10:06 am

SONG SLIPS IN TO ATL

http://www.travelskills.com/tktarchive/2003/jun.htm

SONG SLIPS IN. In stark contrast to all the hoopla surrounding SONG's April launch in NYC, Delta's new "mini-me" got off to a surprisingly quiet start here in Atlanta. Its lime green planes began flying twice a day between Atlanta and JFK on June 1, but as evidence of the quiet start, the press release announcing the maiden voyage come out two days later—on June 3. Hmm. In addition to the two daily SONG flights, Delta also offers four CRJ flights, and four mainline flights per day to JFK. Delta says it put SONG on JFK routes due to increased customer demand. Umm-hmm. We all know better. SONG is on the route to keep JFK-based JetBlue out of the market. QUESTION: Would you fly SONG into JFK for the novelty of the experience, or are you going to stick to the more frequented routes into LGA or EWR. Please let us know!

JRF Jun 10, 2003 11:24 am

I don't remember, but I thought that Song was not going to fly to ATL. With cheaper fares and more room in coach then DL, why would anyone want to fly on DL if Song and DL serves a route. If Song is flying to DL, was does this do the hub and spoke scenerio.

Very intersting, any comments. I think this is hot news..... Why not just fire everyone at DL and make the operation Song since they seem to have some understanding of no kneeds banging into seats theory.

GoCanes Jun 10, 2003 1:05 pm

I am going to try Song in August from JFK-FLL to see how it is.

I am pretty sure though, my days as a DL customer are numbered as I refuse to buy a K fare on Song just to receive full MQM's toward a status that cannot bring any benefit when flying song.

alb222 Jun 10, 2003 5:26 pm

Does Song flying to ATL have anything to do with aircraft maintenance? I had heard that was the reason............I'm sure Jetblue is the other reason.

yorock Jul 9, 2003 4:11 pm

Song at ATL?

On 7/3/03 I spotted Song metal taxiing at ATL. However, I was under the impression that there would be no routes through ATL via Song. Maybe they were just moving some equipment around, or possibly even used the plane on a DL route in a pinch. But if either of those theories are true, then it doesn’t speak well for the success of the attempted cost-cutting. Has anybody else seen these distinctive lime green planes at ATL?

RobertS975 Jul 9, 2003 4:25 pm

Song has been flying ATL-JFK since June 1.

alb222 Jul 9, 2003 4:29 pm

2 flights daily. Been said the flights are there to bring aircraft thru ATL for maintenance.

FL-Delta-Platinum Jul 10, 2003 7:03 pm

Flew out of D38 the other day (two gates down from Song).

Besides being VERY hot in D Terminal - which is nothing new - the gate agents were very "hot" about Song. This was when they announced the new food policy. I talked with about six GA hanging around D38. They were all upset about Song getting all of the "frills" when it is supposed to be a "no-frills" price competitor. They couldn't understand why Delta isn't being supported with technology (DirectTV) and food (decent meal service - included) and Song is getting all of the attention.

I think there is going to be some anymosity between Song & Delta staff at the gates.