FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   New Song Routes to Include ATL! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/57942-new-song-routes-include-atl.html)

RobertS975 Mar 6, 2003 7:12 am

New Song Routes to Include ATL!

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030306/atth003_1.html

[This message has been edited by RobertS975 (edited 03-06-2003).]

duxfan Mar 6, 2003 7:38 am

Geez, at least quote the article:

"Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL - News) today announced that customers flying between New York City and its Atlanta hub now will have more flights and more low fare choices. Delta's low fare subsidiary, Song, will fly between New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport and Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport with two new flights set to begin June 1."

Looks like DL figured JetBlue would add JFK-ATL service shortly, and decided to try and cut 'em off.

It'll be interesting to see the price difference on these new flights, vs. the other ATL-JFK flights...

bdschobel Mar 6, 2003 7:38 am

Well, now it's more than handwriting on the wall. The future couldn't be more clear -- with one interesting exception: Delta has never explained specifically how Song will participate in the SkyMiles program, even though the question has been posted here repeatedly. I wonder if they have made a decision yet. They can't wait too much longer, because Song begins flights next month.

Bruce

EchoVictor Mar 6, 2003 7:54 am

The other big news burried in this press release is that DL will add five new flights per day to LAX by August 1st in response to the JetBlue/AirTran services. I love seeing some competition going for once in Atlanta.

After August 1, daily non-stop flights to LAX will total 13! I'm looking forward to some cheap fares to LA for the forseeable future as the market adjusts to this increased capacity.

keithguy Mar 6, 2003 8:01 am

Wow. That's a lot of increased capacity for ATL-LAX, from 1 MD11, 3 763s, 3 764s and 1 752 to 5 763s, 4 764s, 4 752s.

RobertS975 Mar 6, 2003 8:03 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
Well, now it's more than handwriting on the wall. The future couldn't be more clear -- with one interesting exception: Delta has never explained specifically how Song will participate in the SkyMiles program, even though the question has been posted here repeatedly. I wonder if they have made a decision yet. They can't wait too much longer, because Song begins flights next month.

Bruce
</font>
Bruce, I assume that Song will have the same fare classes that currently exist for mainline coach, and that the flights will earn MQMs in conjunction with the fare class. That is how it is for DL Express.

mflyer Mar 6, 2003 8:03 am

Right. I'm not sure increasing capacity is the right response to Airtran in the ATL-LAX market. Seems like there is way too much capacity here. I think it will make for some really cheap fares and empty Delta planes.

RobertS975 Mar 6, 2003 8:09 am

Where does it say the start-up day for the new LAX flights?

keithguy Mar 6, 2003 8:21 am

It's at the bottom 40% of the press release...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Delta adds flights to Los Angeles region

In addition to its New York service, Delta is adding mainline service to the Los Angeles region with five new round trip flights between Atlanta and Los Angeles International Airport, and one additional flight between Atlanta and Ontario, Calif. Delta also will upgrade one current flight between Atlanta and Ontario to a 252-seat Boeing 767 aircraft from a 183-seat Boeing 757 aircraft.</font>
(It continues on with schedule of new flights)

avek00 Mar 6, 2003 8:42 am

It's a corporate press release, so it's ok IMHO to post it in its entirety:

Press Release Source: Delta Air Lines, Inc.

Delta's Song Adds Flights Between Atlanta and New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport

Thursday March 6, 8:43 am ET

Airline Also Expands Service to Los Angeles area

ATLANTA, March 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL - News) today announced that customers flying between New York City and its Atlanta hub now will have more flights and more low fare choices. Delta's low fare subsidiary, Song, will fly between New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport and Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport with two new flights set to begin June 1.
Delta also will increase the number of mainline flights to the Los Angeles area.

Delta and Delta Connection currently offer 68 daily flights between Atlanta and New York City's three major metropolitan airports, John F. Kennedy, LaGuardia Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport. The new Song flights are a response to customer demand for more service.

"Our customers said they wanted more flights between New York and Atlanta. We heard them and have responded," said Vicki Escarra, Delta's chief marketing officer. "We plan to truly differentiate our service. We will be able to offer our new Song service to customers for point-to-point flights, while we continue to offer Delta mainline service to business and leisure customers for point-to-point and connecting itineraries with advantages for passengers who demand more flexibility, elite Medallion benefits such as pre-boarding and first class, and international connections.

"Song's new service is a powerful addition to Delta's portfolio of products which are focused on different customer needs," said Escarra. "We can leverage Delta's full array of services -- including regional jets, network service through our hubs, international service, codeshare relationships and, now, our low-fare subsidiary as a significant competitive advantage. This is also a great benefit for our customers."

Establishing a presence in Atlanta also will enhance Song's operational reliability by providing greater access to sophisticated aircraft maintenance and a Boeing 757 pilot crew base.

"We're excited to offer Song's high-quality, low-fare product to our customers traveling between New York and Atlanta," said John Selvaggio, Song's president. "We offer 199-seat, all coach Boeing 757 aircraft with 33 inches of legroom, the most of any low fare service, as well as DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service (starting in October) and a menu of branded food items to choose from."

Customers wishing to fly Song between Atlanta and New York-JFK for travel on or after June 1 can call Delta reservations or visit delta.com and purchase the following flights:

From Atlanta to New York-JFK
Flight Departs Arrives
2444 9:30 a.m. 11:43 a.m.
2446 3:50 p.m. 6:03 p.m.
From New York-JFK to Atlanta
Flight Departs Arrives
2449 12:40 p.m. 3:00 p.m.
2447 6:55 p.m. 9:15 p.m.
After March 31, 2003, customers can purchase tickets directly from Song's Web site flysong.com.

Delta adds flights to Los Angeles region

In addition to its New York service, Delta is adding mainline service to the Los Angeles region with five new round trip flights between Atlanta and Los Angeles International Airport, and one additional flight between Atlanta and Ontario, Calif. Delta also will upgrade one current flight between Atlanta and Ontario to a 252-seat Boeing 767 aircraft from a 183-seat Boeing 757 aircraft.

"There is strong passenger demand for our Atlanta-Los Angeles service," said Escarra. "Delta has been reviewing opportunities to add larger aircraft and additional frequencies to the market. We're pleased to offer these flights to our customers as a result."

The new flights are as follows:

From Atlanta to Los Angeles and Ontario

Flight Departs Arrives Effective
135 ATL 7:00 a.m. LAX 8:48 a.m. May 1
250 ATL 11:00 a.m. LAX 12:30 p.m. June 1
253 ATL 12:50 p.m. LAX 2:20 p.m. June 1
289 ATL 5:10 p.m. LAX 6:52 p.m. May 1
285 ATL 8:20 p.m. LAX 9:50 p.m. August 1
255 ATL 10:25 a.m. ONT 11:47 a.m. June 1

From Los Angeles and Ontario to Atlanta

Flight Departs Arrives Effective
136 LAX 5:15 p.m. ATL 12:11 a.m. May 1
256 LAX 9:25 a.m. ATL 4:43 p.m. May 1
251 LAX 1:35 p.m. ATL 9:00 p.m. June 1
286 LAX 11:45 a.m. ATL 7:05 p.m. August 2
1772 ONT 1:20 p.m. ATL 8:34 p.m. June 1

Delta Air Lines, the world's second largest airline in terms of passengers carried and the leading U.S. carrier across the Atlantic, offers 5,643 flights each day to 438 destinations in 78 countries on Delta, Delta Express, Delta Shuttle, Delta Connection and Delta's worldwide partners. Delta is a founding member of SkyTeam, a global airline alliance that provides customers with extensive worldwide destinations, flights and services. For more information, please go to delta.com .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Delta Air Lines, Inc

------------------
Thank you for choosing Continental Airlines, a proud member of the SkyTeam Alliance.

jeffreyt Mar 6, 2003 8:56 am

It amazes me that they want to put a 767 out of ONT (I fly out of there at least once a month). It also amazes me that they want to add so much capacity out of LAX. These are really aggressive moves.

a330300 Mar 6, 2003 9:06 am

All I say for Delta is "good luck". Expect to see cutbacks after 2-3 months of service like AA learned here in OAK. Interesting staggered schedule implementation...sort of a safety net there.

[This message has been edited by a330300 (edited 03-06-2003).]

CelticFlyer Mar 6, 2003 9:22 am

C

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jeffreyt:
It amazes me that they want to put a 767 out of ONT (I fly out of there at least once a month). It also amazes me that they want to add so much capacity out of LAX. These are really aggressive moves. </font>
More service at ONT could be a smart move. Having sat in a car going **very slowly** from LAX to La Verne I've had my moments of wishing I could have flown into ONT.

ThisDJ Mar 6, 2003 9:35 am

Having extensive DLX fare experience I am sure Song will screw it up by being greedy with their last minute or higher class of service fares.

I remember quite vividly price MCO IAD round-trips 3 days out on DLX that were routinely $800 +, something that just does not occur on the "real" low cost carriers, will DL's greed get them again?

yknot Mar 6, 2003 9:56 am

Where do you think Song will gate in Atlanta? I can just see pax booking Song flights and then trying to connect to Delta Mainline. I'm sure Delta will sell it to them too! Song/Delta codeshare?

Just Passing Thru Mar 6, 2003 10:02 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yknot:
Where do you think Song will gate in Atlanta? I can just see pax booking Song flights and then trying to connect to Delta Mainline. I'm sure Delta will sell it to them too! Song/Delta codeshare?</font>
I suspect D Concourse. "D" is for Distant.

midway7 Mar 6, 2003 10:29 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Just Passing Thru:
I suspect D Concourse. "D" is for Distant.</font>
I think the ONLY place for Song is T-1!

jeffreyt Mar 6, 2003 11:04 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CelticFlyer:
C More service at ONT could be a smart move. Having sat in a car going **very slowly** from LAX to La Verne I've had my moments of wishing I could have flown into ONT.

</font>
I completely agree. Frankly, ONT is my favorite airport in the country, because I can park my car right in front of the terminal. Even with the increase in parking rates, it's still a great deal. And the mainline service is great. And when I fly in/out of ONT, I'm always going against traffic.

Now if DL or DL Conx would only fly out of Bur again. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

AS Flyer Mar 6, 2003 11:08 am

It's interesting how Delta buried this bit about LAX/ONT at the bottom of the press release, almost as if not to call attention to itself. In addition, they never once mentioned that this was in response to Airtran entering the market, which it almost certainly is. Seems like a little unfair competition, although to be fair Delta has almost always had quite a few nonstops from LAX to ATL during the summer months.

Some may be surprised to know that DL used to run a 767 from ONT to ATL for quite a while before relegating this route to the 757's. Back during the days of the old ONT terminal with no jetways or any other real creature comforts.

BackOfTheBus Mar 6, 2003 11:32 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by EchoVictor:
The other big news burried in this press release is that DL will add five new flights per day to LAX by August 1st in response to the JetBlue/AirTran services. I love seeing some competition going for once in Atlanta.

After August 1, daily non-stop flights to LAX will total 13! I'm looking forward to some cheap fares to LA for the forseeable future as the market adjusts to this increased capacity.
</font>
So you're going to keep flying on Delta, EchoVictor? Those post May 1st PM insULT upgrades enticing you, huh?

Everyone who flies on the 5 extra DL flights to LAX should feel personally responsible if JetBlue or AirTran falter as a result of 'DELTA DUMPING'.

Remember, as US Airways once said, "USE IT OR LOSE IT"! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mad.gif

jwhite4 Mar 6, 2003 11:53 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
...I wonder if they have made a decision yet. They can't wait too much longer, because Song begins flights next month.

Bruce
</font>
Should this decision really be made before tickets are made available for sale? Suppose Mar 31 DL comes out and sales Song flights earn .25 MQM, people who already bought tickets wouldn't be too happy.
Oops, they already did that with people who bought mainline DL flights for 2003. Guess that's not really a concern of theirs.

Jeff

keithguy Mar 6, 2003 12:01 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AS Flyer:
It's interesting how Delta buried this bit about LAX/ONT at the bottom of the press release, almost as if not to call attention to itself.</font>
Delta didn't have to announce this increase in a press release. Airlines often load schedule changes no press release. A press release is to drum up attention (kind of like free advertising).

Also, it is not uncommon for a press release to contain multiple items. The press release mentioned increased service to LA in its second line, so it was not buried, especially since it took up almost half of the press release.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">In addition, they never once mentioned that this was in response to Airtran entering the market, which it almost certainly is.</font>
Why would you want to reveal publicly what its intentions to compete are?

Also, JetBlue recently announced LGB-ATL service, so Delta's annoucement probably takes that into account.

[This message has been edited by keithguy (edited 03-06-2003).]

Cholula Mar 6, 2003 12:01 pm

There's enough threads on this board relating to Song so I won't start another one. Just wanted to pass along this parody from The Brancatelli File™ relating to United's "response" to Song:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">UNITED LAUNCHES 307 LOW-FARE CARRIERS
Bankrupt United Airlines says its will dismantle the existing carrier and launch 307 separate low-fare airlines in its place.
In a business plan filed with the bankruptcy court on Wednesday, United envisions dividing the assets and employees of the nation's second-largest airline among the 307 start-ups, each of which will serve a separate geographic area. United's Latin American service, for example, will become a new carrier called Macarena. United's current European operations will be spun off into a new airline called Waltz. On the highly competitive North Atlantic routes to London, United will create a low-fare carrier called Skiffle.
Domestically, United plans to launch at least 245 new airlines. Service from its Denver hub will be organized into a new airline called Rocky Mountain High. Flights to major urban areas such as New York, Chicago and Los Angeles will be organized into an airline called Doowop. A new carrier built around United's hub at Washington/Dulles will be called Sousa.
"I've been looking out the window of my company-funded, $18,000-a-month condo on North Michigan Avenue and I see the problem clearly," explained Glenn Tilton, United's new chief executive. "United is out of touch with the young, hip travelers of today. We need to get rockin'."
Speaking at a press conference where he introduced Grammy winner Jimmy Sturr as the chief executive of Polka, United's new low-fare operation for Ohio, Pennsylvania and upstate New York, Tilton rejected criticism that the plan was out of touch with operational realities and current musical tastes.
"I haven't been in this business almost 180 days without learning some hard lessons," he said. "I checked this out with my new homey [Delta chairman] Leo Mullin and consulted those gear guys over at McKinsey. We all agree that this is the kind of think-tank palaver that customers want."</font>

vetteset Mar 6, 2003 12:14 pm

I am shocked! I guess we are the last to know. I specifically asked SONG (I'll be one of the lucky ones and I'm very excited)if we were going to pre-board PM, etc and give them something special and was told NO! They would not be treated any differently. Are we going thru ATL or the West coast? No to ATL and we cannot tell you anything about the West coast yet! I am amazed, but happy. I knew you would get miles, was told no on everything else. I can't believe we are going thru ATL!!!!

vetteset Mar 6, 2003 12:17 pm

Correction, I misread and thought SONG would be doing west coast.... I know soon we will start LAS/MCO!!

gilpin Mar 6, 2003 12:19 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AS Flyer:
...Back during the days of the old ONT terminal with no jetways or any other real creature comforts.</font>
The old DL ONT terminal was great IMHO. There was only 1 jetway, but since it was in it's own litle private building with dedicated security and baggage claim, using it was a cinch.

EchoVictor Mar 6, 2003 12:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BackOfTheBus:
So you're going to keep flying on Delta, EchoVictor? Those post May 1st PM insULT upgrades enticing you, huh?

</font>
Hey, I actually said I would enjoy the competition and cheaper fares--I didn't mention which airline I will be flying on...

Hmmm... we'll see! So far this year this PM is at a huge 1,000 MQM and counting! (excluding amex threshold bonus) Go DL, rake in that money!

RobertS975 Mar 6, 2003 1:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by vetteset:
I am shocked! I guess we are the last to know. I specifically asked SONG (I'll be one of the lucky ones and I'm very excited)if we were going to pre-board PM, etc and give them something special and was told NO! They would not be treated any differently. Are we going thru ATL or the West coast? No to ATL and we cannot tell you anything about the West coast yet! I am amazed, but happy. I knew you would get miles, was told no on everything else. I can't believe we are going thru ATL!!!!</font>
Actually, it seems that Song will be going TO ATL but I don't consider this the same as going "thru" ATL. Nonetheless, I was quite surprised to see this announcement. It is certainly difficult to do a 50 minute turn at ATL.

Other questions: Can one connect from a DL mainline or DL connection flight to Song as one currently does with DLX?

ConnFlyer Mar 6, 2003 1:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
Actually, it seems that Song will be going TO ATL but I don't consider this the same as going "thru" ATL. Nonetheless, I was quite surprised to see this announcement. It is certainly difficult to do a 50 minute turn at ATL.

Other questions: Can one connect from a DL mainline or DL connection flight to Song as one currently does with DLX?

</font>
Yes, you will be able to connect. They specifically mention that on the Song website...though it is a little buried.

Here it is:
"Simple, one-step connections with Delta’s worldwide service, including interline with SkyTeam™ members and other partner airlines."

jimrpa Mar 6, 2003 7:33 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
Bruce, I assume that Song ... flights will earn MQMs in conjunction with the fare class.

</font>
I still maintain that Song will be a participant in the SkyMiles program, just like El Al, Royal Air Maroc, and United. You'll get SkyMiles, but MQMs? No way.

Robert Leach Mar 7, 2003 12:44 am

With this announcement of Song flights ATL-JFK, it means that Delta will serve that route with Song, Delta Connection, as well as Delta mainline. My question is whether the fares on all three will be the same or not. I don't think you make money as an airline if you're selling seats on 50 seat RJs at Song prices.

And I also wonder if fares to LaGuardia will match Song to JFK from ATL.

yknot Mar 7, 2003 7:18 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Robert Leach:
With this announcement of Song flights ATL-JFK, it means that Delta will serve that route with Song, Delta Connection, as well as Delta mainline. My question is whether the fares on all three will be the same or not. I don't think you make money as an airline if you're selling seats on 50 seat RJs at Song prices.

And I also wonder if fares to LaGuardia will match Song to JFK from ATL.
</font>
Just like Delta to come up with a strategy to compete against itself. I wonder if Delta mainline, connection and Song will have a fare war!

[This message has been edited by yknot (edited 03-07-2003).]

gilpin Mar 7, 2003 9:43 am

I wonder if they're considering replacing the entire DL operation (at least domestically) with Song ultimately and this will be a real world test.

Also if Song takes over I can just imagine the endless themed terms they'll introduce. I suppose they could even replace Medallion levels with Shower Singer, Soloist, and Virtuso or somesuch. Lifetime (now "annual") Medallion status would then be worth about as much as Flying Colonel lifetime CRC membership is today.

UnofficialDLHelper Mar 27, 2003 9:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yknot:
Where do you think Song will gate in Atlanta?</font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Just Passing Thru: I suspect D Concourse. "D" is for Distant.</font>
That is correct! D33 and D35 to be exact.

------------------
I am not a sanctioned representative of Delta on these boards, just an interested participant. I'm only here trying to shed light on DL issues brought up on this board and to provide my opinion and/or to try to answer Qs. I do work for Delta, but I don't represent DL's final word when answering a question (in any capacity). Please e-mail Customer Care with your questions to get a corporately-supported reply.www.delta.com/email

[This message has been edited by UnofficialDLHelper (edited 03-27-2003).]

mikey1003 Jun 10, 2003 10:06 am

SONG SLIPS IN TO ATL

http://www.travelskills.com/tktarchive/2003/jun.htm

SONG SLIPS IN. In stark contrast to all the hoopla surrounding SONG's April launch in NYC, Delta's new "mini-me" got off to a surprisingly quiet start here in Atlanta. Its lime green planes began flying twice a day between Atlanta and JFK on June 1, but as evidence of the quiet start, the press release announcing the maiden voyage come out two days later—on June 3. Hmm. In addition to the two daily SONG flights, Delta also offers four CRJ flights, and four mainline flights per day to JFK. Delta says it put SONG on JFK routes due to increased customer demand. Umm-hmm. We all know better. SONG is on the route to keep JFK-based JetBlue out of the market. QUESTION: Would you fly SONG into JFK for the novelty of the experience, or are you going to stick to the more frequented routes into LGA or EWR. Please let us know!

JRF Jun 10, 2003 11:24 am

I don't remember, but I thought that Song was not going to fly to ATL. With cheaper fares and more room in coach then DL, why would anyone want to fly on DL if Song and DL serves a route. If Song is flying to DL, was does this do the hub and spoke scenerio.

Very intersting, any comments. I think this is hot news..... Why not just fire everyone at DL and make the operation Song since they seem to have some understanding of no kneeds banging into seats theory.

GoCanes Jun 10, 2003 1:05 pm

I am going to try Song in August from JFK-FLL to see how it is.

I am pretty sure though, my days as a DL customer are numbered as I refuse to buy a K fare on Song just to receive full MQM's toward a status that cannot bring any benefit when flying song.

alb222 Jun 10, 2003 5:26 pm

Does Song flying to ATL have anything to do with aircraft maintenance? I had heard that was the reason............I'm sure Jetblue is the other reason.

yorock Jul 9, 2003 4:11 pm

Song at ATL?

On 7/3/03 I spotted Song metal taxiing at ATL. However, I was under the impression that there would be no routes through ATL via Song. Maybe they were just moving some equipment around, or possibly even used the plane on a DL route in a pinch. But if either of those theories are true, then it doesn’t speak well for the success of the attempted cost-cutting. Has anybody else seen these distinctive lime green planes at ATL?

RobertS975 Jul 9, 2003 4:25 pm

Song has been flying ATL-JFK since June 1.