Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
New Song Routes to Include ATL!

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030306/atth003_1.html

[This message has been edited by RobertS975 (edited 03-06-2003).]
Old Mar 6, 03, 8:38 am

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Geez, at least quote the article:

"Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL - News) today announced that customers flying between New York City and its Atlanta hub now will have more flights and more low fare choices. Delta's low fare subsidiary, Song, will fly between New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport and Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport with two new flights set to begin June 1."

Looks like DL figured JetBlue would add JFK-ATL service shortly, and decided to try and cut 'em off.

It'll be interesting to see the price difference on these new flights, vs. the other ATL-JFK flights...
Old Mar 6, 03, 8:38 am
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Well, now it's more than handwriting on the wall. The future couldn't be more clear -- with one interesting exception: Delta has never explained specifically how Song will participate in the SkyMiles program, even though the question has been posted here repeatedly. I wonder if they have made a decision yet. They can't wait too much longer, because Song begins flights next month.

Bruce
Old Mar 6, 03, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
The other big news burried in this press release is that DL will add five new flights per day to LAX by August 1st in response to the JetBlue/AirTran services. I love seeing some competition going for once in Atlanta.

After August 1, daily non-stop flights to LAX will total 13! I'm looking forward to some cheap fares to LA for the forseeable future as the market adjusts to this increased capacity.
Old Mar 6, 03, 9:01 am

Wow. That's a lot of increased capacity for ATL-LAX, from 1 MD11, 3 763s, 3 764s and 1 752 to 5 763s, 4 764s, 4 752s.

Old Mar 6, 03, 9:03 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
Well, now it's more than handwriting on the wall. The future couldn't be more clear -- with one interesting exception: Delta has never explained specifically how Song will participate in the SkyMiles program, even though the question has been posted here repeatedly. I wonder if they have made a decision yet. They can't wait too much longer, because Song begins flights next month.

Bruce
</font>
Bruce, I assume that Song will have the same fare classes that currently exist for mainline coach, and that the flights will earn MQMs in conjunction with the fare class. That is how it is for DL Express.

Old Mar 6, 03, 9:03 am

Right. I'm not sure increasing capacity is the right response to Airtran in the ATL-LAX market. Seems like there is way too much capacity here. I think it will make for some really cheap fares and empty Delta planes.
Old Mar 6, 03, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Where does it say the start-up day for the new LAX flights?
Old Mar 6, 03, 9:21 am

It's at the bottom 40% of the press release...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Delta adds flights to Los Angeles region

In addition to its New York service, Delta is adding mainline service to the Los Angeles region with five new round trip flights between Atlanta and Los Angeles International Airport, and one additional flight between Atlanta and Ontario, Calif. Delta also will upgrade one current flight between Atlanta and Ontario to a 252-seat Boeing 767 aircraft from a 183-seat Boeing 757 aircraft.</font>
(It continues on with schedule of new flights)
Old Mar 6, 03, 9:42 am
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
It's a corporate press release, so it's ok IMHO to post it in its entirety:

Press Release Source: Delta Air Lines, Inc.

Delta's Song Adds Flights Between Atlanta and New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport

Thursday March 6, 8:43 am ET

Airline Also Expands Service to Los Angeles area

ATLANTA, March 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL - News) today announced that customers flying between New York City and its Atlanta hub now will have more flights and more low fare choices. Delta's low fare subsidiary, Song, will fly between New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport and Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport with two new flights set to begin June 1.
Delta also will increase the number of mainline flights to the Los Angeles area.

Delta and Delta Connection currently offer 68 daily flights between Atlanta and New York City's three major metropolitan airports, John F. Kennedy, LaGuardia Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport. The new Song flights are a response to customer demand for more service.

"Our customers said they wanted more flights between New York and Atlanta. We heard them and have responded," said Vicki Escarra, Delta's chief marketing officer. "We plan to truly differentiate our service. We will be able to offer our new Song service to customers for point-to-point flights, while we continue to offer Delta mainline service to business and leisure customers for point-to-point and connecting itineraries with advantages for passengers who demand more flexibility, elite Medallion benefits such as pre-boarding and first class, and international connections.

"Song's new service is a powerful addition to Delta's portfolio of products which are focused on different customer needs," said Escarra. "We can leverage Delta's full array of services -- including regional jets, network service through our hubs, international service, codeshare relationships and, now, our low-fare subsidiary as a significant competitive advantage. This is also a great benefit for our customers."

Establishing a presence in Atlanta also will enhance Song's operational reliability by providing greater access to sophisticated aircraft maintenance and a Boeing 757 pilot crew base.

"We're excited to offer Song's high-quality, low-fare product to our customers traveling between New York and Atlanta," said John Selvaggio, Song's president. "We offer 199-seat, all coach Boeing 757 aircraft with 33 inches of legroom, the most of any low fare service, as well as DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service (starting in October) and a menu of branded food items to choose from."

Customers wishing to fly Song between Atlanta and New York-JFK for travel on or after June 1 can call Delta reservations or visit delta.com and purchase the following flights:

From Atlanta to New York-JFK
Flight Departs Arrives
2444 9:30 a.m. 11:43 a.m.
2446 3:50 p.m. 6:03 p.m.
From New York-JFK to Atlanta
Flight Departs Arrives
2449 12:40 p.m. 3:00 p.m.
2447 6:55 p.m. 9:15 p.m.
After March 31, 2003, customers can purchase tickets directly from Song's Web site flysong.com.

Delta adds flights to Los Angeles region

In addition to its New York service, Delta is adding mainline service to the Los Angeles region with five new round trip flights between Atlanta and Los Angeles International Airport, and one additional flight between Atlanta and Ontario, Calif. Delta also will upgrade one current flight between Atlanta and Ontario to a 252-seat Boeing 767 aircraft from a 183-seat Boeing 757 aircraft.

"There is strong passenger demand for our Atlanta-Los Angeles service," said Escarra. "Delta has been reviewing opportunities to add larger aircraft and additional frequencies to the market. We're pleased to offer these flights to our customers as a result."

The new flights are as follows:

From Atlanta to Los Angeles and Ontario

Flight Departs Arrives Effective
135 ATL 7:00 a.m. LAX 8:48 a.m. May 1
250 ATL 11:00 a.m. LAX 12:30 p.m. June 1
253 ATL 12:50 p.m. LAX 2:20 p.m. June 1
289 ATL 5:10 p.m. LAX 6:52 p.m. May 1
285 ATL 8:20 p.m. LAX 9:50 p.m. August 1
255 ATL 10:25 a.m. ONT 11:47 a.m. June 1

From Los Angeles and Ontario to Atlanta

Flight Departs Arrives Effective
136 LAX 5:15 p.m. ATL 12:11 a.m. May 1
256 LAX 9:25 a.m. ATL 4:43 p.m. May 1
251 LAX 1:35 p.m. ATL 9:00 p.m. June 1
286 LAX 11:45 a.m. ATL 7:05 p.m. August 2
1772 ONT 1:20 p.m. ATL 8:34 p.m. June 1

Delta Air Lines, the world's second largest airline in terms of passengers carried and the leading U.S. carrier across the Atlantic, offers 5,643 flights each day to 438 destinations in 78 countries on Delta, Delta Express, Delta Shuttle, Delta Connection and Delta's worldwide partners. Delta is a founding member of SkyTeam, a global airline alliance that provides customers with extensive worldwide destinations, flights and services. For more information, please go to delta.com .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Delta Air Lines, Inc

------------------
Thank you for choosing Continental Airlines, a proud member of the SkyTeam Alliance.
Old Mar 6, 03, 9:56 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
It amazes me that they want to put a 767 out of ONT (I fly out of there at least once a month). It also amazes me that they want to add so much capacity out of LAX. These are really aggressive moves.
Old Mar 6, 03, 10:06 am

All I say for Delta is "good luck". Expect to see cutbacks after 2-3 months of service like AA learned here in OAK. Interesting staggered schedule implementation...sort of a safety net there.

[This message has been edited by a330300 (edited 03-06-2003).]
Old Mar 6, 03, 10:22 am

C
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jeffreyt:
It amazes me that they want to put a 767 out of ONT (I fly out of there at least once a month). It also amazes me that they want to add so much capacity out of LAX. These are really aggressive moves. </font>
More service at ONT could be a smart move. Having sat in a car going **very slowly** from LAX to La Verne I've had my moments of wishing I could have flown into ONT.

Old Mar 6, 03, 10:35 am

Programs: DL MM/GM, WN A-List, SPG PLAT
Having extensive DLX fare experience I am sure Song will screw it up by being greedy with their last minute or higher class of service fares.

I remember quite vividly price MCO IAD round-trips 3 days out on DLX that were routinely $800 +, something that just does not occur on the "real" low cost carriers, will DL's greed get them again?
Old Mar 6, 03, 10:56 am

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
Where do you think Song will gate in Atlanta? I can just see pax booking Song flights and then trying to connect to Delta Mainline. I'm sure Delta will sell it to them too! Song/Delta codeshare?

Search this Thread