FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   New Song Routes to Include ATL! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/57942-new-song-routes-include-atl.html)

Just Passing Thru Mar 6, 2003 10:02 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yknot:
Where do you think Song will gate in Atlanta? I can just see pax booking Song flights and then trying to connect to Delta Mainline. I'm sure Delta will sell it to them too! Song/Delta codeshare?</font>
I suspect D Concourse. "D" is for Distant.

midway7 Mar 6, 2003 10:29 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Just Passing Thru:
I suspect D Concourse. "D" is for Distant.</font>
I think the ONLY place for Song is T-1!

jeffreyt Mar 6, 2003 11:04 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CelticFlyer:
C More service at ONT could be a smart move. Having sat in a car going **very slowly** from LAX to La Verne I've had my moments of wishing I could have flown into ONT.

</font>
I completely agree. Frankly, ONT is my favorite airport in the country, because I can park my car right in front of the terminal. Even with the increase in parking rates, it's still a great deal. And the mainline service is great. And when I fly in/out of ONT, I'm always going against traffic.

Now if DL or DL Conx would only fly out of Bur again. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

AS Flyer Mar 6, 2003 11:08 am

It's interesting how Delta buried this bit about LAX/ONT at the bottom of the press release, almost as if not to call attention to itself. In addition, they never once mentioned that this was in response to Airtran entering the market, which it almost certainly is. Seems like a little unfair competition, although to be fair Delta has almost always had quite a few nonstops from LAX to ATL during the summer months.

Some may be surprised to know that DL used to run a 767 from ONT to ATL for quite a while before relegating this route to the 757's. Back during the days of the old ONT terminal with no jetways or any other real creature comforts.

BackOfTheBus Mar 6, 2003 11:32 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by EchoVictor:
The other big news burried in this press release is that DL will add five new flights per day to LAX by August 1st in response to the JetBlue/AirTran services. I love seeing some competition going for once in Atlanta.

After August 1, daily non-stop flights to LAX will total 13! I'm looking forward to some cheap fares to LA for the forseeable future as the market adjusts to this increased capacity.
</font>
So you're going to keep flying on Delta, EchoVictor? Those post May 1st PM insULT upgrades enticing you, huh?

Everyone who flies on the 5 extra DL flights to LAX should feel personally responsible if JetBlue or AirTran falter as a result of 'DELTA DUMPING'.

Remember, as US Airways once said, "USE IT OR LOSE IT"! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mad.gif

jwhite4 Mar 6, 2003 11:53 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
...I wonder if they have made a decision yet. They can't wait too much longer, because Song begins flights next month.

Bruce
</font>
Should this decision really be made before tickets are made available for sale? Suppose Mar 31 DL comes out and sales Song flights earn .25 MQM, people who already bought tickets wouldn't be too happy.
Oops, they already did that with people who bought mainline DL flights for 2003. Guess that's not really a concern of theirs.

Jeff

keithguy Mar 6, 2003 12:01 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AS Flyer:
It's interesting how Delta buried this bit about LAX/ONT at the bottom of the press release, almost as if not to call attention to itself.</font>
Delta didn't have to announce this increase in a press release. Airlines often load schedule changes no press release. A press release is to drum up attention (kind of like free advertising).

Also, it is not uncommon for a press release to contain multiple items. The press release mentioned increased service to LA in its second line, so it was not buried, especially since it took up almost half of the press release.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">In addition, they never once mentioned that this was in response to Airtran entering the market, which it almost certainly is.</font>
Why would you want to reveal publicly what its intentions to compete are?

Also, JetBlue recently announced LGB-ATL service, so Delta's annoucement probably takes that into account.

[This message has been edited by keithguy (edited 03-06-2003).]

Cholula Mar 6, 2003 12:01 pm

There's enough threads on this board relating to Song so I won't start another one. Just wanted to pass along this parody from The Brancatelli File™ relating to United's "response" to Song:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">UNITED LAUNCHES 307 LOW-FARE CARRIERS
Bankrupt United Airlines says its will dismantle the existing carrier and launch 307 separate low-fare airlines in its place.
In a business plan filed with the bankruptcy court on Wednesday, United envisions dividing the assets and employees of the nation's second-largest airline among the 307 start-ups, each of which will serve a separate geographic area. United's Latin American service, for example, will become a new carrier called Macarena. United's current European operations will be spun off into a new airline called Waltz. On the highly competitive North Atlantic routes to London, United will create a low-fare carrier called Skiffle.
Domestically, United plans to launch at least 245 new airlines. Service from its Denver hub will be organized into a new airline called Rocky Mountain High. Flights to major urban areas such as New York, Chicago and Los Angeles will be organized into an airline called Doowop. A new carrier built around United's hub at Washington/Dulles will be called Sousa.
"I've been looking out the window of my company-funded, $18,000-a-month condo on North Michigan Avenue and I see the problem clearly," explained Glenn Tilton, United's new chief executive. "United is out of touch with the young, hip travelers of today. We need to get rockin'."
Speaking at a press conference where he introduced Grammy winner Jimmy Sturr as the chief executive of Polka, United's new low-fare operation for Ohio, Pennsylvania and upstate New York, Tilton rejected criticism that the plan was out of touch with operational realities and current musical tastes.
"I haven't been in this business almost 180 days without learning some hard lessons," he said. "I checked this out with my new homey [Delta chairman] Leo Mullin and consulted those gear guys over at McKinsey. We all agree that this is the kind of think-tank palaver that customers want."</font>

vetteset Mar 6, 2003 12:14 pm

I am shocked! I guess we are the last to know. I specifically asked SONG (I'll be one of the lucky ones and I'm very excited)if we were going to pre-board PM, etc and give them something special and was told NO! They would not be treated any differently. Are we going thru ATL or the West coast? No to ATL and we cannot tell you anything about the West coast yet! I am amazed, but happy. I knew you would get miles, was told no on everything else. I can't believe we are going thru ATL!!!!

vetteset Mar 6, 2003 12:17 pm

Correction, I misread and thought SONG would be doing west coast.... I know soon we will start LAS/MCO!!

gilpin Mar 6, 2003 12:19 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AS Flyer:
...Back during the days of the old ONT terminal with no jetways or any other real creature comforts.</font>
The old DL ONT terminal was great IMHO. There was only 1 jetway, but since it was in it's own litle private building with dedicated security and baggage claim, using it was a cinch.

EchoVictor Mar 6, 2003 12:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BackOfTheBus:
So you're going to keep flying on Delta, EchoVictor? Those post May 1st PM insULT upgrades enticing you, huh?

</font>
Hey, I actually said I would enjoy the competition and cheaper fares--I didn't mention which airline I will be flying on...

Hmmm... we'll see! So far this year this PM is at a huge 1,000 MQM and counting! (excluding amex threshold bonus) Go DL, rake in that money!

RobertS975 Mar 6, 2003 1:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by vetteset:
I am shocked! I guess we are the last to know. I specifically asked SONG (I'll be one of the lucky ones and I'm very excited)if we were going to pre-board PM, etc and give them something special and was told NO! They would not be treated any differently. Are we going thru ATL or the West coast? No to ATL and we cannot tell you anything about the West coast yet! I am amazed, but happy. I knew you would get miles, was told no on everything else. I can't believe we are going thru ATL!!!!</font>
Actually, it seems that Song will be going TO ATL but I don't consider this the same as going "thru" ATL. Nonetheless, I was quite surprised to see this announcement. It is certainly difficult to do a 50 minute turn at ATL.

Other questions: Can one connect from a DL mainline or DL connection flight to Song as one currently does with DLX?

ConnFlyer Mar 6, 2003 1:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
Actually, it seems that Song will be going TO ATL but I don't consider this the same as going "thru" ATL. Nonetheless, I was quite surprised to see this announcement. It is certainly difficult to do a 50 minute turn at ATL.

Other questions: Can one connect from a DL mainline or DL connection flight to Song as one currently does with DLX?

</font>
Yes, you will be able to connect. They specifically mention that on the Song website...though it is a little buried.

Here it is:
"Simple, one-step connections with Delta’s worldwide service, including interline with SkyTeam™ members and other partner airlines."

jimrpa Mar 6, 2003 7:33 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
Bruce, I assume that Song ... flights will earn MQMs in conjunction with the fare class.

</font>
I still maintain that Song will be a participant in the SkyMiles program, just like El Al, Royal Air Maroc, and United. You'll get SkyMiles, but MQMs? No way.